Game-Labs Forum

Free Ports & PvP Zones

It has become difficult getting into the PvP Zones due to large groups of gankers who sit right off the nearest free port and intercept ships as they leave the port.  This is worst around the free ports with narrow access points (Tumbado & La Tortue) but it happens off Aves and La Mona as well.  This discourages single players and small groups of players from participating.

It might not be unreasonable to make the waters around free ports a reinforcement zone, under the assumption that free ports would jealously guard the freedom of their waters.  This would give people a chance to get out of the port safely and allow the PvP zones to serve their original function.  

For the life of me I can't figure out why some players would rather attack outside a nearby zone than in it.  With more marks to be had in the zone it seems like "eating your seed corn" to attack players this way, even more so when it discourages players from participating in this very enjoyable part of the game.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

For the life of me I can't figure out why some players would rather attack outside a nearby zone than in it. 

This happens because you need a completly different configuration for a ship inside vs. outside the patrolzone. In addition, some players do not like to go inside the patrolzone because they will most likely be ganked with only a little to no chance of escaping. The RoE in the Zones should be changed to alter this.

• Like 6

first of all,

you can always go to a other port but...

Freeport (outpost slots) is not free and cost a outpost  port slot.... (sometimes, and i think it is more always than mostly, there are no choices to go to other ports)

i believe a Freeport  should be taken literally, and should not cost a outpost port slot

in that case, we have the ability to move around more often than we do now 

most people are limited by the total ofoutpost ports they can own 

most players have their outpost port slots more or less concentrated at their home base

whats limiting the ability to move around faster in other territories 

or we get more port outpost slots per player available ...

or the freeports get really free  for the use of a port slot and costs nothing

if nothing is going to happen we all stay limited in our ability to do what we want to do in various ways 

and i even believe the lack of opportunity to do so, cost even casuals to play the game by the feeling of being restricted in this game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i would propose or a dlc for this ...(more outpost slots)

or give every player the opportunity to pay(in game) for 10  more outpost ports ...

more outpost ports slots give you the ability to move around for the kind of waters you seek...

a rebellion is needed to release the FREEPORT of the restrictions of the game

free the FREEPORT of the  outpost portslot....(counting)

also clan own outpost ports should also be free from  outpost port counting

let the rebellion start

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

For the life of me I can't figure out why some players would rather attack outside a nearby zone than in it.

Very simple.  I tag you outside the zone, the battle closes and I don't get ganked.  I hit you inside the zone, 6 French Bellonas join on your side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

[...] For the life of me I can't figure out why some players would rather attack outside a nearby zone than in it.  [...]

It's just easier to fight a heavy Agamemnon in a 3rd rate than on the same ship. Human nature calling. In general it's a good thing imo that pvp is also created around the zones, but I agree it sucks for solos. 

Perhaps you could try to set up OPs in nearby free-for-all ports (e.g. Saint Nic; Corrientes; Higüey; Nippes etc.)

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

This discourages single players and small groups of players from participating.

Small clans is evil. Patrols is not solo content.

It's simple: leave small clan, enter to big. Use national voice channel.

After that sink all enemies. Around zone, inside zone, everywhere.

sorry my bad english

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

La Navasse, Nippes, Saint Nicolas, Sant Iago are open for ages. What's the difference if you get ganked outside the free port of patrol anyway? 

no no, I am on your side here. He is saying that Free Ports should have r zones but there are plenty of open ports to use instead. I don't PvP zone too much because I feel like you have to have a group or you just lose your ship. OP should either use one of the other open ports or work with his nation to get a port nearby, if it's that important to him. Then again, I don't understand the rage when you are tagged in OW as opposed to the PvP zone. I feel that that already makes your life easier because you won't have fresh ships dropping on you 20 minutes in. 

5 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

La Navasse, Nippes, Saint Nicolas, Sant Iago are open for ages. What's the difference if you get ganked outside the free port of patrol anyway? 

In the patrol zone you gain PvP marks according to the damage done to the enemy. Outside PvP zone you do not. HUGE DIFFERENCE especially to the casual player like me.

I feel that sitting outside of the free ports that are closest to the PvP zones and ganking players, preventing them from using game content, is griefing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Can one set up an outpost in a foreign open national port?  I don't think so. If one could, I agree, my point wouldn't matter as much.

13 hours ago, Palatinose said:

In general it's a good thing imo that pvp is also created around the zones, but I agree it sucks for solos.  

There is a big different between being ganked in normal open world in and the PvP zone.  In the zone I get marks based on the damage I do, even if I get sunk.  Not so in the OW.  I almost don't mind getting sunk in the zone, which is just as well if you have fought against me. :)  Gank me outside the free port closest to the zone I'm trying to get into and I'm done for the night, to hell with it.  Which is why it is counterproductive, decreasing the population in the actual zone.

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

There is a big different between being ganked in normal open world in and the PvP zone.  In the zone I get marks based on the damage I do, even if I get sunk.  Not so in the OW.  I almost don't mind getting sunk in the zone, which is just as well if you have fought against me. :) Gank me outside the free port closest to the zone I'm trying to get into and I'm done for the night, to hell with it.  Which is why it is counterproductive, decreasing the population in the actual zone.

Yup understood. Read Banished's reply, I agree with it. The ganker in front of the free town is one step further than you? Time to pull ahead in the mind game. 

Patrols have been broken for so long it's hard to care about it anymore for me at least. With the upcoming change in UI FINALLY going live we will have (hopefully) some nifty pvp missions outside of the preset circles on the map that always seem to end up a mish mash mess of a gank in one way or another.

11 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

In the patrol zone you gain PvP marks according to the damage done to the enemy. Outside PvP zone you do not. HUGE DIFFERENCE especially to the casual player like me.

I feel that sitting outside of the free ports that are closest to the PvP zones and ganking players, preventing them from using game content, is griefing.

Griefing has an entirely different definition, Crusty and we shouldn't add to confusion by using it incorrectly.  Now, I am one of those who would be happy to tag you outside of the Patrol zone.  NOT because I wish to deny you content however.  This is my defence from a broken game mechanic (Patrol Zone ROE).  By hitting you outside the zone, I have a very good chance of fighting a long battle (i'm not good enough to make a quick kill) without being ganked.  Yes that sucks for the loser, because they don't get the damage credit, but i'm always going for the win and don't build ships to lose.  

You and others have proposed that patrol zone mechanics where the losers of a fight get damage credit be instituted and I agree with that.  Don't forget that PVP marks are disappearing though.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Free Towns are supposed to be dangerous, just like patrols. Take a note that you can approach patrols usually from all directions, 360 degrees all over the clock (with some exceptions like Leogane). If you come from the most obvious spot, of course, you take a high chance of getting ganked. Obvious things ask troubles...

I have a totally different opinion about the subject. It wrote about it before and it's kinda radical and I bet only few would agree but I still think free towns should be safe havens and not the most dangerous places around. Inside a small circle around free towns there should be no attacking allowed at all. And when I say small I really mean small. Maybe 1 and 1/2 times larger then the visibility range or even smaller and never including another port (La Tortue will be still a dangerous place but well). How often did I sailed home after a few hours just to find the typical waiting enemy player or group sitting in front of the free town. No way around it. With a small zone of total safety they can still camp the edges. Others have to plan and choose the direction of approach which they think is the safest.

Free towns are meeting places and trade hubs for friend and foe (at least they should be imho besides the poor in game trading) with unrestricted access. Hell even pirates are allowed. Whoever commits violent acts inside a certain area around free towns gets exiled ("no business inside the continental"). The occasional bar fight is still permitted and won't be prosecuted ;) 

Beyond that, it is free for all.

Camping or blockading national towns is a common tactic in wars, nothing to argue against. But free and neutral towns should live up to their name.

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 1

Sounds reasonable but how? I can't think of a way to control this right now except maybe not allowing to dock with ships of the line.

On the other hand with my suggestion it is still possible to blockade a free port to a degree. It would work for outgoing traffic which can be followed until you leave the small safe zone. It is more a quality of life feature for incoming ships that approach the port and have a slightly better chance to avoid getting ganked right in front of it. And like I said, free ports that work as trading hubs between nations can only really work if there is an actual purpose of trading with other nations. I don't see that right now.