Game-Labs Forum

Future testbed result implementation: better keep 'reservebed' untouched

Just a very short suggestion:

As I see the new testbed content currently discussed is having some dynamite effect on the community, as a source of disunity upon whether changes are positive or destructive, I would suggest in the interest of game-labs to apply the changes for some months only on PvP server and then, after people got used to them and some adjustments have been done, as always, you may take them over to PvE server as well. Or leave PvE untouched for another game experience, while observing player numbers evolve around them. Where the trend will go.

Why this retention?

Because PvE server could work as it always works: for keeping people in Naval Action who would otherwise completely quit. This is only possible when there is a server which continues to function, at least for a while, according to the "old rules". Everyone who disagrees with testbed implementations will then not fall off the edge, but remain in the game by switching to PvE server. At least there is a chance they do so. Game-labs will see in numbers how many will do so, and draw their conclusions upon the statistic material. If PvE server will be ready for being changed too or should stay like it is for accommodating those players who do not consent to the new content. I also advise to read the chat there.

By the way, I hear things about testbed content which I partly like and partly dislike. I agree with making lineships expensive (was one of my suggestions anyway), but I find the fee for teleporting troublesome, if even I can understand the motive behind it, to bring people out on OW.

In the sum, PvE server will act as insurance for at least a part of the community which is dissenting, against dropping out of game and finding a (temporary) new home on PvE. The alternative is: losing them completely. We all do not want this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

No pvp or rvr player will go to the pve server if he doesn´t like the new changes (he would have to start from scratch for example).

That player will leave his pov here in forums, rate the game in steam and log off waiting for a new hotfix/patch that improves or reverts some of the things he dislikes.

I'm with @Intrepido with this one as most the folks I know think the PvE serve is nothing but a joke and would stop playing before they go over there and start over with no PvP or RvR.  I'll even admit on most games I play on mainly PvE servers cause I hate the gankers on those games that just kill newbes and casuals.  This is why I argue so much about getting proper safe zones made for folks around capitals.  Unliked those other games though you can go to another part of the map and never have to deal with any PvP or RvR in game and enjoy the game.  Just get away from capitals.  The only bad thing about this patch is the teleport fee's being Doubloons and not gold.  The rest for the most part has been getting positive responce other than a few tweeks here and there.  I still think they over dumb up crafting and need to do something with it or they will loose those casuals that just want to trade and craft, but even though goes like to fight once in a while....just don't wen to be the loosing end all the time.

Remember the main server is PvP/PvE so it has both elements of the game, but if you wish you can actually avoid the PvP part until you want to do that, just got to pick an area far off on the map.  So no folks won't go to a PvE only server, if they wanted PvE only they would be over there all ready.

I've said it before.  The PVE server should be the mandatory start point for new players.  A series of missions there that must be completed to open the PVP server.  Maybe kill certain (low) classes of ships (some of the testbed missions are perfect for this), craft a few things and accomplish some trading goals...starting with the tutorial (but not the final exam, lol).  Then just get rid of Reinforcement zones (and their fake protection)  on the main server.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I've said it before.  The PVE server should be the mandatory start point for new players.  A series of missions there that must be completed to open the PVP server.  Maybe kill certain (low) classes of ships (some of the testbed missions are perfect for this), craft a few things and accomplish some trading goals...starting with the tutorial (but not the final exam, lol).  Then just get rid of Reinforcement zones (and their fake protection)  on the main server.

I got one of my first assisted PvP kills when I was only 2nd Lt, I tagged a Bucc and keep it in the fight until other folks caught up with it.  They gave me his ship when we got done and I made almsot a rank and half off that fight cause of the damage I did stern camping and shooting his sales.  So saying I have to PvE for the first few ranks is retarded. I seen guys low rank that would do circles against most of the RA"s in this game.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I got one of my first assisted PvP kills when I was only 2nd Lt, I tagged a Bucc and keep it in the fight until other folks caught up with it.  They gave me his ship when we got done and I made almsot a rank and half off that fight cause of the damage I did stern camping and shooting his sales.  So saying I have to PvE for the first few ranks is retarded. I seen guys low rank that would do circles against most of the RA"s in this game.   

I didn't say the first few ranks and I didn't mention a time period (and I've certainly never accused you of being retarded). Not everyone who starts this game is a naval genius like you were at the beginning.  Doing a series of missions before you go out in the world is common practice in other games.  

1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I didn't say the first few ranks and I didn't mention a time period (and I've certainly never accused you of being retarded). Not everyone who starts this game is a naval genius like you were at the beginning.  Doing a series of missions before you go out in the world is common practice in other games.  

Never said I was a geniues, the point is some folks advance faster than others.  We have a Tutorial for  a reason.  If folks are forced to play only one a PvE only server the first few ranks than they won't be happy.

Yes many games have systems like that but they are games that are also 90% PvE and 10% PvP for the most part in the MMO's that have "New folks zones" for level up.   Those zones can also be bypassed in an hour or two of play most the time just the first hour and your out of it.  Again which is why we have a Tutorial now.