Game-Labs Forum

Idea: Real-Time [RT] Battle Instance [Bi] Option...

Idea: Real-Time [RT] Battle Instance [Bi] Option...

Priority Low

@admin

Summary

To have a new option either as a duel tournament or pre-defined mission type for a 1v1 PvP or PvE Battle.

The Battle Instance [Bi] would take part in REAL-TIME [RT]. This to see how these models react and how they would have moved in [RT].

This would have issues and I’ve tried to high light them below. It’s not High Priority but I think could be a good sales function attracting customers.

It may even prove a good balancer in testing out new elements in the game.

Background

The Dev’s and @admin (quite rightly) are proud of the ship models created in deep detail. However, reading O’Brian or C.S Fosters Hornblower novels other real-life frigate actions I wanted to see how it felt in real life in real time...

What is Our Current Time...?

In NA-OW we have three basic units of time. This is explained below but remember these are estimates.

The Current Steady State...

The Current Steady State...

Need to think about Server loading. The NA-OW Single State Universe is roughly 2.75 million km2 or 1.06 million miles2 on a flat REAL-WORLD surface. Either [PvP Caribbean] or [PvE Environment] can handle up to 1,200 PCs on each at any one time. This comes at a cost. The Ships have limited functions and cannot fight. For 20 minutes of Real-Time [RT] passing equals 1 in-game Open-World day according to the Wiki. Therefore 72-OW-days pass every server cycle.

Dropping into a BATTLE Instance [Bi] opens the full ship model with sail handlining and other functions. If a Port Battle then the full models for Towers and Fort and the enemy PC/AI likewise opened. This all possible for the 105-minute window the Server allocates the extra bandwidth to compensate for the increased load to that instance.

The [Bi] I believe (no proof) is a boxed Universe Circle covering an area of a 1,000km. Its anchored at the center onto the defending ship/Port as it is dropped into the Instance. This tiny area Boxed off reduces load on the main server while still giving you the high-quality emersion. The huge reduction in Time Rate allows more data to pass between servers and client per single unit of time. This bringing an even higher quality feel to the simulation... 1x Real-Time [RT] Day, 14.4x [Bi] days, 72x [OW] days should give you some perspective. The Dev’s will not reveal the Ratio so the numbers are estimates

Any Me2s Out There with [RT]...

Looking on STEAM I found these two games below.

Sail-away

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552920/Sailaway__The_Sailing_Simulator/

eSail

https://store.steampowered.com/app/794860/eSail_Sailing_Simulator/

All the age of sail type of games don’t offer [RT]. Even [WoWs] is 5x [RT]. These two do in modern day terms. I’ll buy both to look at in more detail but from an initial impression you can see the idea.

The “Sail-away” game gets a lot of negative reviews from unstable graphics not game play. The “eSail” play the video and look at the CHART OMG...!!!!

In the “More Like this...” below Sail-away is tagged with NA-OW but eSail is not for some reason.

Server Load Factor Increase...

The problem with the [Bi] unlocking all functions and a huge time reduction is the server bandwidth increase required for the ships. More data passes between server and client per single unit of time. Obviously using something like the Test-Bed first we can predict what will be needed first.

Further Time Dilation and issues...

Dilating from a current [Bi] of something near 5x down to 1x Real Time seems small from the Open-World Speed. However, still will show up problems and issues. BATTLE length of 105minutes I don’t advocate going to 5hours but 3hours maybe? The wind, waves and day/night cycles plus other external ship factors need reducing.

What it may show or test is things such as Gun re-load times or Basic Repair times to sails. How much a particular mod skews the ships performance and such. These areas would inflate in performance and could be seen as under or over powered. Then adjusted...

Keep this function as 1v1 or mission and a PORT UI trigger so a smaller pre-defined predictable bandwidth could be allocated.

Conclusion

The idea was sparked by a STEAM contributor @DBH PuntCuncher and my thoughts on if it could work. It’s not a priority idea, but I do like the idea of testing effects of element changes in REAL-TIME before [Bi] normal speed. This obviously ignoring game play ability.  

It maybe a one try thing with the drawn length of an engagement. The Broadsides and reload times and moving into position would be interesting to see. No other AoS offers anything close...

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think ...

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The “eSail” play the video and look at the CHART OMG...!!!!

This was something I commented on when they changed the maps in NA, they should have made the map more like the Admiralty style charts shown in the video. The contrasting colors make it easy to read and see where shallows are. I also like the way they allow plots to be drawn on the chart. 

• Like 2