Game-Labs Forum

Game-Labs should take responsibility for voice

Voice communication seems like such a large part of Naval Action that it shouldn't be left for some clan to run a TS3 server.  I suggest the developers take control of this either with in-game voice or by running an official NA TS3 server with their own rule-set. 

A player-run amenity should not be a factor in my decision to play a game or not.  As it is, this game leaves itself vulnerable because of someone else's TS3 server rule fail.

On the other hand, I think those want to run their TS3 server as a sort of members-only club really shouldn't advertise it as a "national" server.  It's their server their rules and that's fine.  But I wont be a second class participant, unable to represent my clan with a tag when others can.

• Like 1

Perhaps in the age of sail there was very limited communication .

There is really no way to stop players from using a voice client,  but it is possible to play the game without one.  If a clan was very well organized and trained they could use text to emulate the signals that were historically used. Training to use standard text commands would be a challenge, but could be something to strive for. Such player development would be aligned with the OW sandbox gamestyle where players create their own content and also would consider players with varying hearing and speech capacities.

But the biggest limitation of dedicating staff to the task could be the size of Game Labs NA development team.  With 3.5 people, they may be focusing on other priorities.

But perhaps someday, when the dev team has time, in game directional speech will be created so we can yell at each other, when our ships are close.  And we can use voice activation to hoist signal flags when we are too far apart to shout.  But for now I think the dev team is working full time on; enhancing the UI, and missions, etc.

I can remember 1 game where in game voice is really really REALLY used all the time, and I mean all the time, even by guys in the same regiments and playing together :) 

War of Rights. 

Naval action does not require ingame voice to add to the age of sail experience, in my opinion.

Rather have sound coders time dedicated to other hearing senses experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stars and Stripes said:

Yep. If you don't want to use others discord or TS then get your own. It's not the devs responsibility and let them concentrate on important stuff.

Yes, we have had a dedicated clan TS server for some time.  It's currently limited to members and invited guests only and geographically located to suite our clan rather than the player base.  So, it's not so useful when I want to help in some PvP and most RvR situations.

And, @Hethwill the Harmless, I agree.  It's not required to play the game.  It is most unfortunate, however, that some battle commanders and clan leaders want nothing to do with anyone not using voice comms.  Some have no choice and cannot use voice comms.  On the other hand, it is an extra task.  Having to pay attention to, and repeat orders in text chat makes the job more difficult.

2 hours ago, Coraline Vodka said:

No, let them focus on the game and the community runs voice coms

Ok, that is a fair opinion.  So how about this.  If the community is going to run voice comms for everyone, let's make sure it's done in a way that does not arbitrarily discriminate against certain players and clans.

29 minutes ago, Greysteak said:

And, @Hethwill the Harmless, I agree.  It's not required to play the game.  It is most unfortunate, however, that some battle commanders and clan leaders want nothing to do with anyone not using voice comms. 

From my limited experience in big battles of conquest, the good commanders will have a second that will write basic orders into team chat :) 

Regarding clan stuff, yeah i guess each clan has its own thing and requirements.

5 hours ago, Greysteak said:

Ok, that is a fair opinion.  So how about this.  If the community is going to run voice comms for everyone, let's make sure it's done in a way that does not arbitrarily discriminate against certain players and clans.

I understand how being kept out of voice comms can make you feel like an outsider, but clans using those comms have things to be concerned about. They can't allow just any random player to join for fear of them being an alt meant to spy on that nation, and sometimes there are entire clans who are untrustworthy to them.