Game-Labs Forum
BuckleUpBones

Testbed - Teleport fees

On testbed I just teleported from Paix to Mortimer, cost 6 doubloons, now all battle doubloons rewards are handicap.

Its going to be even harder for new players whom don’t have an abundant supply of doubloons, have you thought of them, how is this going to help them.

Giving large supply of doubloons in testbed has not tested players advancing through the ranks (from midshipman), that is, being forced into OW because of limited/unfunded teleporting, the only result so far is, "it has produce insufficient feedback".

Edited by BuckleUpBones
  • Like 9

Are garbage. There I said it. I am against teleport fees through and through. I do not believe it will accomplish the intended hope of making life "difficult" for alts. In fact, I want an alt more than ever now.

Teleport fees as they are now create a few negatives:

1. The high cost for max rank (10 doubloons) is hilariously prohibitive to many players. The fact that it is 1 - 10 doubloons per rank already tells me what is going to happen.

2. In order to fund even just a couple teleports you'll need to spend an evening or 2 killing some ai.

3. The hope that this will force players into the OW for possible combat is nonsense.

This does nothing but add unneccesary time to the tasks a player needs to do. Are we going to be able to extract resources from buildings from outposts we aren't at? Are we going to be able to see information of our ships and assets in a different outpost without having to go there? If you add teleport fees then these questions should really be 'yes' or people are going to get angry again.

Admin related these teleport fees to when crew costs were added. When crew costs were added feedback was largely negative at how cost prohibitive the fee was. So it was later adjusted to a low cost like it is now, but that doesn't mean it's good when players didn't enjoy it. Fine, we learn to adapt AFTER the cost isn't stopping gameplay. What I am getting at is this fee for teleporting is going to be another bad solution to a problem no one sees and somehow a high cost is yet again seen as ok. Heck, 1 doubloon is already pretty crazy, we can't just make teleporting fees be a flat 10k gold (or whatever the new currency price is)?

Here are a number of outcomes that I believe are going to happen with this rather silly fee. I am sure some will agree and disagree on this

1. People are going to sail in basic cutters everywhere while towing ships. We did it before, we will do it again and very few people are going to care about attacking basic cutters. In fact I hope people do attack me because it'll be easier to get to my outpost I was sailing to now. I'll just make sure to be closer to the destination.

2. Alts will now be even more useful then ever. We will have rank 1 alts that continue to create contracts, extract resources. With only costing 1 doubloon we can fund them to do the teleporting. 

3. As players who don't have alts get disgruntled about teleporting fees, many will decide to just stay in the reinforcement zones and near capitals. Why go out now when teleporting fees cost too much. Take the US as an example. They own their capital and ports south of belize. I honestly don't see many US players bothering to defend their ports south of belize if these fees get added.

4. Players who did many tasks, such as helping clan mates or other players by teleporting to their warehouse to withdrawal resources, or teleporting to outposts to get near a port battle to help or kill. "Yeah it'll come with a X doubloon fee for me to withdrawal resources for you." Even better clans are now going to have alts sitting at the warehouse to do this. And clans who don't - "hey could you get this for me from the warehouse?" "Sorry I am out sailing/battling/trading, maybe in 30 minutes or so." "Eh I'll just ask tomorrow" *logs off*.

I said I was against a teleport fee at the start. You bet I am, but I have played games with teleport fees and those fees never disrupted gameplay. They took some cash and the player was always able to pay for it without prohibiting their game. The fee can't be disruptive, it has to feel natural. Crew cost at 50 gold per crew like we have now is a fair cost, 10 times less than the 500 gold we had before. If you are that adament about adding a fee to teleporting then lower this fee by 10 times the amount. 10,000 gold. Do that and there will not be a riot because these fees PLUS what I am seeing for the cost of ships in doubloons, are going to create problems that we didn't need in the first place (permit costs are a different subject anyway).

• Like 24

I have people in SLRN, who can spend an hour or two in Naval Action every evening.

If they now will have to grind AI to be able to teleport to La Mona or Aves for some hunting/pvp, they will just quit the game.

• Like 20

I heard that this patch should support a 'functioning economy' ?

I lived as trader in the Carribean for a while, but the way I traded in the past wouldn't be possible in the future, because I didn't get DOUBLOONS as trader, so no Teleport (at least with extreme costs) !

In reality a trading company has an intelligent clerk in each outpost which decides what good to sell and what to trade by himself.

The extremely limited number of contracts with absolut no possibility of configuration is no equivalent to the reality.
If I couldn't play the intelligent clerk in the outposts by myself, because of the teleport fees, the tradingsystem is a rotten tomato !!

I don't understand what is the benefit of the teleport fees for the game itself, but on my opinion its the end of the balance between warriors and traders. I wouldn't sail 2h from Bluefields to San Jose only to see that the good from the trader tools is long gone. I would probably sail in a foreign game instead,

or is the alternative of one account in each outpost the idea behind this (pushing the sales)

• Like 4

Recent changes made to the test server have made playing untenable.  The current system of having to pay doubloons in order to teleport yourself from base to base is counterproductive to a playable game.  If the current situation continues.  I predict a lot of players will simply leave this game.  It appears that the developers are forcing players into PVP situations, against their will for what purpose I do not know.  The ability to teleport from outpost to outpost has always been a staple of this game and with the current game mechanic in place, it will no longer be possible to check your outposts, warehouses, shipyards, etc. you will not need to be able to harvest your resources because you will not be able to afford to go from outpost to outpost.

I understand this is a test server and I understand that you are testing game mechanics that may or may not be put into the final game , this particular game mechanic needs to go away in a hurry.  If it makes it into the final game.  I predict a mass exodus of players who are interested in trading and conducting business and sailing and not endless PVP battles.

I also understand that you are going for realism in this game, but let's be honest that when out the window several patches ago.   

Additionally

The current set up of docking your ship just doesn't make sense you traded one screen for another except the new screen is misleading.  It lets a player think he's viewing the open world when in fact they might as well be inside the building.  Every other game I played put you inside your buildings when you're docked or when you're at your home base and then when you exit, you enter the game outside your building at the port/dock/homeport.  Whatever you want to call it, with a view to the open world and to the conditions that exist at the time.  Additionally, if you are in your port and or in a building/ warehouse/ trading post or whatever they have Windows and you should be able to see outside into the open world conditions, at least for the purposes of obtaining a weather report. 

Lastly.  The current map situation.  To put it bluntly, is ridiculous.  Both in the open world regular game and on the test server.  You took away the one thing that allowed players to navigate with some sense of direction and location which was the map grids for what purpose I do not know.  As far back as medieval times sailors have had maps and charts and tools by which to navigate.  You want to make this a realistic game, but the most important feature of the game is missing.!  It's a sailing game, but there is no means to ascertain one's position, once in the open world.  It was the Vikings who 1st sailed away from the shorelines because of compasses and charts.  A tradition that has been refined over the centuries but with this game we are back to sailing in those prehistoric conditions where you had to keep the shoreline in sight at all times just to know where you are at.  I don't know what the future plans are, but it cannot be played this way. 

Edited by JazAero
  • Like 4

The game has a realy high potential. The combat mechanic (except boarding) is excellent.

With the low playerbase it is realy hard to find a fight without teleporting around. The teleport fee will increase the useless timesink and decrease the funfactor. I will not buy an alt to stay competative and counter the fee.

If you had in mind to increase the OW trafic by this teleportfee, try to change the RoE in savezones and PVP zones first. That will increase the amount of players and players are the main content. 

That is my pewpew point of view but I think the traders will be hit even harder by the teleportfee.

Edited by Sir Loorkon
Grammar
  • Like 5

Teleport fees is a lazy development approach to creating a money sink.  Nothing more.  Every single time we've taken a hardcore stance on things that would generally be considered "Quality of life" mechanics the player base has reacted negatively to it and players have been lost.  Let's try not to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Come up with something better please.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

Teleport fees is a lazy development approach to creating a money sink.  Nothing more.  Every single time we've taken a hardcore stance on things that would generally be considered "Quality of life" mechanics the player base has reacted negatively to it and players have been lost.  Let's try not to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

What I am NOT seeing to go with this is a ready exchange mechanism between Reals, the exchange medium for resources, and Doubloons to pay for the the teleport. 

So merchants are forced into the open world while combat players are not.  This might be less bothersome if ship and cargo meant the same thing to raiders that it does to traders.  Which is not currently the case.

Am I missing something?  Is there something in the UI that I'm not seeing?

If nothing is coming in the re-balance to address this, one sector of the player base will definitely be bailing.

Or maybe there's not enough of us to worry about.

Edited by John Jacob Astor
  • Like 2

Teleport fees are, indeed, garbage.

All it will do is cost prohibitive amounts for the (small) playerbase we have left to teleport to where the action is to generate content...

PvP will go down. RvR will go down. Players will get bored, players will log out. Some will not log back in for a while.
Example: player: "Hey, I've found 2 Trincs and an Aga offshore of Tumbado, lets get 'em!"  his buddies: "Sorry, we're puttering around Shroud Cay now because we heard a fleet of Hercudumbs were raiding in the patrol zone, but we couldn't find them and we can't afford to keep jumping around outposts. Maybe some other time...."

I'm convinced short-term selective memory is used a lot in the development of this game. We had a time where teleports between outposts had LONG cooldowns. That didn't promote PvP. Instead it caused many players to basically be stuck in a dead area of the map while their clanmates had PvP or RvR stuff going on. 

But then we also already tried RNG crafting, RNG mods, expensive commodities like crew, multiple repairs, expensive first rates, cheap first rates, etc.   Doesn't seem like that ever stopped us from trying the same thing again and again. So I guess I'm not surprised we'll suffer outrageous teleport mechanics again.

Now...what is that saying about trying the same thing over and over, expecting different results? 

• Like 5

I ask because I don't understand: Why are we getting mark payment for tp?

Mark/money sink? Doubt it.

I know there are people here who don't like any form of tp; Please tell us why we should embrace this thing...

16 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I know there are people here who don't like any form of tp; Please tell us why we should embrace this thing...

You don't like TP, totally fine - nobody forces you to use it anyway, you can always completly ignore it.

Why should we embrace sailing empty oceans for hours? I don't understand ...

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Why should we embrace sailing empty oceans for hours? I don't understand

Sooo... This new feature is intended to put people out sailing?

6 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

With the low playerbase it is realy hard to find a fight without teleporting around. The teleport fee will increase the useless timesink and decrease the funfactor. I will not buy an alt to stay competative and counter the fee.

That is exactly what teleport fees will do. No one arguing that people will pay for TP to far away outposts. What bothers me is that people will choose sailing to close outposts because its going to be ridiculous to pay for TP from PR to Carlisle for example. What are they going to sail? Basic cutters of course. I feel that even rich guys will be having hard times to teleport for a fee on such small distances because that is stupid and it has nothing to do with being greedy. 

What is that going to do for the game? Yes, more sailing people on small distance OP's. More cutters. More players lost time that could be used for playing real content and what comes with that, faster exhaustion with the game.

I really hope this feature is not going to stay.

36 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Yes, it is intended, maybe. Will it work the way you think it will? No.

• Like 5

I have my warehouse and craft my ships in one corner of the map and i make pve in the other side of the map . If i need to pay  that amount to teleport my ships i am F-U-C-K-E-D

Edited by no one
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

I was there when we had no teleports at all. No fun.

• Like 3

I played for maybe 3 weeks before i realised i could teleport between outposts,   and I sailed aimlessly for hours 😂 .

As for a charge to go between outposts I guess try it and see how affects PvP,  and as people have said there are always basic cutters.

Edited by Dibbler

I stopped playing for an while (game takes up too much time) I've come back to take a look at the UI changes. And this may be not be completely relevant to the topic but people have said that players will just use Basic Cutters to sail between ports instead because they are free and disposable. I've always thought that the Basic Cutter should have been removed. Sure there does need to be a free ship available for new players (and players in bankruptcy). But just have that be done trough giving any player below a certain threshold for rank or money a 100 per cent discount or redeemable upon the Lynx/Cutter.

Edited by tipsypo
  • Like 1

It can be that sailing should be rewarding to make us sail. Economy is bound to this. If it is not rewarding to sail a trader, none wants to do so.

Years ago we had no teleport nor tow. Still it worked well for some reason, it did not feel as painful as now. Sailed empty trader to port, picked up goods and sailed back to capital. There were 500-2000 players online, so there was a change that you were captured. Time when crafting resources were worth to ask your clan mate to check if route to capital is safe? Today of course cargo is worthless junk so people simply sink you for marks instead.

Today we have trade goods for increased income. But why it felt that time worth your time to sail an empty trader there and back, filled with resources to actually craft something? Did we have better economy? It actually felt you saved a long penny or earned plenty of gold by doing a trade run of crafting resources.

Could be wrong here but it can be that trade goods are bad for the game.

Which ever direction TP fee goes remove wood cartel. Let us make wood plantation again. Make wood types balanced. Cartel was not a good idea and with TP fee forces alts to check your bids.

Multidura ships, once you sailed a ship to free town, you actually sailed multiple ships. Today we sail each dura separately or actually tow. If you sailed frigates, time sink was 20-25% from what it is today.

Players sailing basic cutters is not good.

"Intelligent Clerk" is not a bad idea if teleport has a fee. When we had no TP this was a wanted feature. Could be made a money sink. When you are at port you can hire a clerk, pay salary for 1-4 weeks. Then always when you visit you can add more money.

It can be that TP could have a fee but the current game may not support it too well.

5 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Years ago we had no teleport nor tow. Still it worked well for some reason, it did not feel as painful as now. Sailed empty trader to port, picked up goods and sailed back to capital. There were 500-2000 players online, so there was a change that you were captured. Time when crafting resources were worth to ask your clan mate to check if route to capital is safe? Today of course cargo is worthless junk so people simply sink you for marks instead.

Back then we had every 2,5h (i believe) ship teleport to capitol with goods in the hold and very important goods transport from free town to free town so you could safely haul it during off peak times. It was way easier to get resources to capitol.

• Like 2