Game-Labs Forum
Aquillas

Boarding timer at combat instance entrance

I entered in a fight. The enemy was able to see me during my connection, and to prepare boarding while I was off the fight.

When I connected and was able to handle my ship, he just had to press on "G" to start boarding. I got boarded without reaction capability.

I think a timer should be added to players coming in fight, so that they can't board or be boarded before 30 secs after having some control of their ships.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

Le Requin with hobbits enough said, this ship needs crew reduced by 40%. Its a total joke

This is not about the LeRekt. While Aquillas was still loading into the battle, other clients could already see his ship, shoot it and in this case prepapre to board him. When he was finally in the battle, it was already too late.

I agree with @Aquillas, you should get some sort of protection while in loading screen, because server already spawns your ship while client is still loading.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Is not exclusive to Le Requin. Several ships do start the battle with 50 preparation points and can board outright.

I started the battle in my Rattlesnake with preaparation 52. But this is not the question (and in this particular case, this did not help).

The question is to be boarded at the first second of the fight, by an enemy who could see you position when you were still loading (and so, blind).

Edited by Aquillas

accept it, this is how it works

you where too close to begin with.

Aquillas points out a side of a general problem: what happened to him is wrong and a protection during loading screen is advisable; especially taking into account I know (lag, hardware etc...) some people wait quite long time before entering in combat giving sometimes even a full minute to enemy to prepare, move etc.

The other side of problem is having an enemy spawning in front of you at very close distance: I often almost lost a ship (and I remember an occasion I lost) due to a big ship spawning like a wall right in front of me and so having me ramming her.

IMO, if keeping reinf.area RoE as it is (and it's not good in the end), to give better balance, both attackers and defenders should be spawning at a minimum distance (200mt?) from any ship already in battle (I point out "any" because it happened also to other side having ships colliding each other due to the same issue).
Still unsure how difficult to code.

• Like 2

Didnt they increase battle countdown already? Its a minute now i think? That is plenty, IMO.

If you still cant load in in that time, might wanna consider either decreasing your graphics settings or upgrading your comp

• Like 1

Licinio raises a good point.  While there is a disadvantage to spawning too close to an enemy when you enter battle, it can also be a huge advantage.  I once spawned right beside an enemy who would have escaped the pursuit.  Instead, he got a massive load of chain and was ultimately destroyed.  We should not be spawning right in the middle of an ongoing battle.  Maybe the later you join the battle, the further back you spawn?  There is an inherent lack of reality in the battle instances that we have to live with, but joining a battle late, should mean it takes some time to become involved.

• Like 2

Tag mechanics are just fine. Actually I find open world latency screws too much with tagging making it hard to position yourself.

Just now, Flinch said:

Tag mechanics are just fine. Actually I find open world latency screws too much with tagging making it hard to position yourself.

There is a difference between tagging and joining battle after the tag.  I agree with your post, but I was talking about joining late.

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

IMO, if keeping reinf.area RoE as it is (and it's not good in the end), to give better balance, both attackers and defenders should be spawning at a minimum distance (200mt?) from any ship already in battle (I point out "any" because it happened also to other side having ships colliding each other due to the same issue).
Still unsure how difficult to code.

This is a great solution. In real life, some reinforcements can come late in the battle, but not directly in the battle center.

So, I agree with @Licinio Chiavari, but I would push the 200 meters to 750 meter (the radius of the "control" circle), to be fair with both attackers and defenders.

i.e., and to be very accurate in recommendation: if you are to spawn in closer to 750 from an enemy or friendly ship, your position is pushed, in the same direction from this ship or from the battle center,  up to 750 meters. Same check made again on the new position, with potential push again, etc.

I don't think that this could be so difficult from a coding point of view. ( @admin)

Edited by Aquillas
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

So, I agree with @Licinio Chiavari, but I would push the 200 meters to 750 meter (the radius of the "control" circle), to be fair with both attackers and defenders.

I would agree about 750 in general, but there's no need in OW battles (due to circles and closing in 3 minutes) and granted the reasoning of RoE in reinf zones (helping defender) I would keep it fairly smaller.

750 mt spawn would be a too big help for Capitol campers: Almost no one would be able to help a mate fastly enough spawning 750 mt away. 

2 hours ago, Liq said:

Didnt they increase battle countdown already? Its a minute now i think? That is plenty, IMO.

If you still cant load in in that time, might wanna consider either decreasing your graphics settings or upgrading your comp

Did you watch the video? He was joining an already ongoing battle in the reinforcement zone.

• Like 1