Game-Labs Forum

Griefing - Dbl 00 Buck

So I was heading off back to British waters after a spot of raiding when I spot a lonely Requin heading towards me.

Requin was Dbl 00 Buck who tagged me with the intention of keeping me in battle, not fighting or anything like that. He sat upwind with no intention of fighting tagging me at range which persisted for a good 10 minutes or so until he missed a few shots and I was able to escape.

DL7MQC5.jpg

I was dragged into a pointless battle as he had some friends who couldn't have got there in time and he decided to waste my time so that they could attempt to gank me.

Now I'm not salty because they either sank or ran away.

1huN1oW.jpg

It's not very sporting to constantly retag with no intention of fighting and had I not been tagged by the Requin I would have logged off and gone to sleep. These series of battles lasted for about three hours as a result of his actions and yes while challenging and good fights, I would have preferred my beauty sleep and to not waste so much time in empty battles being tagged at range.

Unfortunately the video I did take of the original engagement buggered up as I'm not familiar with recording software.

Had the Requin not wasted my time I would have logged off and these battles would not have happened.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough
  • Like 6

I'm trying to be polite.

The battles following the initial griefing where challenging, because they were trying to gank me. Which is fine, part and parcel of Naval Action.

This tribunal is for the first engagement, where it was 1v1 for about 10-20 minutes with constant tagging from an upwind position. I believe he even stated that he had no intention of fighting but that might have been the following battle but I'm sure Ink can check the chatlogs.

10 minutes of my life? No. I lost 3 hours and went to bed at 3am rather than my usual midnight. Had the Requin not tagged me, I would have logged out in OW which is what I was doing when I saw him coming.

2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

But his intent, as you said, was to hold you till his friends could arrive and engage you.  Is that not a valid tactic? 

I believe the devs have said that it is griefing and illegal. That's why I'm here. It wouldn't be an invalid tactic if there wasn't OW/Battle time dispersion but there is.

• Like 1

@Hethwill the Harmless that's not the same case at all.  From what I gather in the OP, He was tagged the first time for ten minutes in which the other player's intent was to delay him till others could come up and engage.  He then spent 3 hours in a series of battles where several players were killed in fine NA fashion.  I was on last night and Gregory was taunting the "Dutchies" to come out and fight on Global chat.  Sounds like they did.  I understand that it was past his bedtime and he may be visibly less beautiful today as a result, but we've all be caught in battles when we should have been having supper with RL instead (or something similar).  Nature of the beast. 

he logged of 2 times ( when the home guard approached, one time hanging almost in the fort) yesterday,..... probably to hide in his bed...

and we know you are still there ,so prepare yourself for many tricks on the book (you do the same)

you behave like the 

only the difference is  he sailed out 
and you feel trapped
Edited by Thonys

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

I’ll be impressed if anything comes of this, but an example needs to be made IMO.  The trollquin has made this type of thing even worse.  

Prince or Privateer or Snow... it's all the same in this case. The F11 coods are the actual problem methinks. In RvR isn't this common tactics to split the enemies' forces? And where does it start? You could tag, directly disengage, leave, retag. Think some details should be clarified. 

Btw. @Havelock didn't you want to report this frenchy? Don't see a tribunal yet.

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

@Hethwill the Harmless that's not the same case at all.  From what I gather in the OP, He was tagged the first time for ten minutes in which the other player's intent was to delay him till others could come up and engage.  He then spent 3 hours in a series of battles where several players were killed in fine NA fashion.  I was on last night and Gregory was taunting the "Dutchies" to come out and fight on Global chat.  Sounds like they did.  I understand that it was past his bedtime and he may be visibly less beautiful today as a result, but we've all be caught in battles when we should have been having supper with RL instead (or something similar).  Nature of the beast. 

I was taunting on Global several hours beforehand but that's rather irrelevant to this tribunal, as are your defences for this player.

Tagging with the intention of not fighting is considering griefing. It doesn't matter if he was biding time for his mates, he had no intention of fighting. I don't expect much to come of this other than a slap on the wrist so it doesn't happen again. Time dilation and F11 co-ordinates, and RoE are the only thing that allowed this to happen.

As I said, I'm not salty, it was you guys who spent several hours losing several 1st rates and 5th rates (and a Requin) not me. This kind of unsportsmanlike behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.

1 hour ago, Thonys said:

he logged of 2 times ( when the home guard approached, one time hanging almost in the fort) yesterday,..... probably to hide in his bed...

and we know you are still there ,so prepare yourself for many tricks on the book (you do the same)

you behave like the 

only the difference is  he sailed out 
and you feel trapped

How am I still there if I was in these battles? Please think before you type. That was laughable. 12 ships wasn't enough so while you spent time gathering more I logged off. You shouldn't have been such wusses.

My ship has been in Port Morant since this morning as I sailed back there earlier.

• Like 1

Just now, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I was taunting on Global several hours beforehand but that's rather irrelevant to this tribunal, as are you defences for this player.

Tagging with the intention of not fighting is considering griefing. It doesn't matter if he was biding time for his mates, he had no intention of fighting. I don't expect much to come of this other than a slap on the wrist so it doesn't happen again.

I'm not actually defending this player and I've always found you to be a very reasonable player, whose word is good.  There are no grudges here.  I just feel that holding someone in an instance for ten minutes is a valid tactic if the intent is to bring him to battle.

I have to disagree for the simply reason that the time difference in battle and outside makes such tactics fundamentally unfair for those in the battle instance.

Hell, I'd be down with doubling the invisibility timer to prevent it happening so that ships can escape well over the horizon. Counter-ganking is cancer and reduces content because people just can't be arsed to go out raiding knowing this will happen.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Ok... double invisibility would work but not "insta close" battles. Or 2 minutes "can't join sitting in port bro, sorry". ?

Invisibility would work better if you didn't have to spend the entire invisbile timer turning.

A number of players always say speed is the #1 stat you need and I would argue it is because of the multi-tag griefing type style you deal with if you aren't fast enough to leave the area.

If there was the ability to log off aftsr a battle with the battle end screen like we had in the past.....well, i'd much rather have that then.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I was dragged into a pointless battle as he had some friends who couldn't have got there in time and he decided to waste my time so that they could attempt to gank me.

^^ this is why a remarkably higher invis and speedboost is a must

• Like 1