Game-Labs Forum
admin

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

8 minutes ago, rediii said:

I think the Warehouse in port is a step back from what we had before.   Why?

You only have a single coloumn which means a shitload of scrolling. I don't like it and I dont even craft a lot

It just takes time to get used to it. + 10x times easier to localize to languages with much longer words (german, russian). Theoretically it could later transform to a icon based warehouse (with grid) but it will require a unique icon for every item.

3 hours ago, admin said:

It just takes time to get used to it. + 10x times easier to localize to languages with much longer words (german, russian). 

I think you didn't understand?

This is what I mean. (Warehouses visualized in excel) It doesn't take time to get used to it because it is not good in general in my oppinion

image.png.7a15790e48f70a1c70113915eed41987.png

Edit:   For everyone you can change the size of the "hold" window and make it bigger. It then adds new coloumns

Edited by rediii
  • Like 5

Just now, admin said:

It just takes time to get used to it. + 10x times easier to localize to languages with much longer words (german, russian). 

Sorry, but that's not true !

With reducing the matrix to a list, you mutilate the functionality of this gorgeous warehouse !!!

The Icons are nice, but they are bigger than a whole entry in the old warehouse and even the unexperienced player doesn't need a icon to know that oak is a resource !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rediii said:

I think you didn't understand?

This is what I mean. (Warehouses visualized in excel) It doesn't take time to get used to it because it is not good in general in my oppinion

I totally understand what you mean - that the list like this could be less usable compared to old grid

We wanted to give a bit more historic feel to the warehouse
KbkOEQS.png
And this list is A LOT easier to localize into multiple languages. 

We will only consider reviewing the warehouse improvements after localization (like adding grid view option). It will stay as goods list for quite a while.
Currently we can work with icon sizes (they feel too big) and scalability and size of the window itself. 

• Like 6

why does the hold not open directly when I want to equip my ship? 

please make the ui more logical. 

4 minutes ago, Christoph said:

why does the hold not open directly when I want to equip my ship? 

please make the ui more logical. 

click E (equipment) click H (hold) (current shortcuts) - you can change shortcuts to your liking to be closer to each other.

Is there any progress tracker on the goal for the christian reward? I did not keep track of my combat xp, assuming there was one somewhere that would let me check...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, admin said:

I totally understand what you mean - that the list like this could be less usable compared to old grid

We will only consider reviewing the warehouse improvements after localization (like adding grid view option). It will stay as goods list for quite a while.
Currently we can work with icon sizes (they feel too big) and scalability and size of the window itself. 

You want to localize the resources and trading goods ???

Even if you develope a user/language depending on the fly translation of the entries in the Trade-Chat, how should the communication between players should work.

In Britain for example the chat is in english even its not the mather tongue of most of the players, but if the resource-name are translated in the UI, how should I know that the french player in the english chat means Oak if he's talking about 'chêne' and I read 'Eiche' on my screen. (that was a harmless example, but ...)

Sailors are international and at least the resources and trading goods should stay english !

Edited by Schwabbel
Addition

Just now, Sovereign said:

Is there any progress tracker on the goal for the christian reward? I did not keep track of my combat xp, assuming there was one somewhere that would let me check...

if you redeemed the xp you need to reach the next rank (that is 10k xp)

• Like 1

Just now, z4ys said:

if you redeemed the xp you need to reach the next rank (that is 10k xp)

Ok, thank you. I was not sure about it, because it said only combat xp and I wasn't certain that mission reward xp qualified for that or only damage xp.

is that right that the weight of the provisions is so high and the rest so low?

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 1

I think the path to the teleport could stream linied abit or maybe a shortcut direct to teleport/managed outpost window?

• Like 2

So I sailed with a TBrig in fleet by mistake.  It was never a standout before and it's equally bad now.  Yes, of course I should check, but there is so much to do!  This time I took it into a 6th rate kill mission and ended up facing two 6th rates instead of the one I would have expected.  Maybe we should have some kind of obvious indicator that we are leaving port with vessels in fleet.   Too much hand holding??  It's not like I'm the only one who does it and we get warned if we forget guns, so.....

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, admin said:

KbkOEQS.png

The important difference is that in real life you can see the whole list at a glance, or with mulitple pages at least a large number of entries.
The list in Port UI only shows very few entries and you have to scroll a whole lot. Reduce the overall size of the list entries so that more entries fit into a window and it already gets much easier to find your stuff. That goes for all lists including ship holds and captains chest in OW UI. It looks nice but it is way bigger than needed. It feels like having to play on the closest zoom level all the time in an RTS-Game.

There is a sweet spot in size between things getting overwhelming because of sensory overload (e.g. 100s of entries on one page) and list not being functional because of too few entries. The tricky thing is finding it :ph34r:

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, balticsailor said:

I think the path to the teleport could stream linied abit or maybe a shortcut direct to teleport/managed outpost window?

considering it.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rediii said:

You only have a single coloumn which means a shitload of scrolling. I don't like it and I dont even craft a lot

You do know, that you can drag the window larger, don't you? On my 1920*1080 notebook-screen I get then 4 columns x 12 lines, which I think is more than I saw in the old UI.

But I agree, that the cells could be a bit smaller. And it would be awesome to have the stuff in there in alphabetical order.

17 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

There is a sweet spot in size between things getting overwhelming because of sensory overload (e.g. 100s of entries on one page) and list not being functional because of too few entries. The tricky thing is finding it :ph34r:

Current problem of warehouse and hold is too much empty space. And moving resources back and forth requires scrolling . We are already fixing it. Resources will drop where you drop them (not the empty space like right now) and will reposition in alphabetical order only after you close or sort. 

Regarding the usability of grid vs list we will consider it after we localize and than will make it a lot more compact. 
Maybe we need to crowdsource icons ))) then we can add a grid (main reason for the lack of grid is lots of art work is required for good - readable - and recognizable icons). Thus the list. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Archer11 said:

But I agree, that the cells could be a bit smaller. And it would be awesome to have the stuff in there in alphabetical order.

Yes. They definitely can get smaller. (sorting is coming)

• Like 5

For Hold of ships a new filter 'Fishable' [Fish, Selead bottle, Fismeat] could be useful, because that's the only things i want to monitor while on sea

7 minutes ago, Archer11 said:

You do know, that you can drag the window larger, don't you? On my 1920*1080 notebook-screen I get then 4 columns x 12 lines, which I think is more than I saw in the old UI.

oh shit I didn't. sorry

• Like 1

Just extracted fir, now it costs nothing compared to yesterday.

we cant trade in ow and in port.

i can send only stuff from my ship hold directly to the clan warehouse and not to my warehouse. thats not good 

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 1

My first thoughts :

- smaller space between items and smaller icons in warehouse (and many other tabs too) and ability to change the scale of tabs in game options for various screens resolution optimization.
- weights of items (and total weight) in tabs so we can see how much we can put in ship hold when we collect.
- ressources needed to craft ships available in every ports. (not only the one where the shipyard is)
- total ressources need In craft ship tab instead of several line for the same ressource (fir for ex.), may be a + button to show details.

sry for my bad english, i'm french ^^ i can clarify some points if needed

• Like 1