Game-Labs Forum
admin

TESTBED - Port User Interface Feedback.

So far so good on my end.

Had issues at first with the equip ship routine and manage the warehouse, but now is okay.

Once we can resize and arrange the windows as we want and get persistent layout everything will be even better.

There's indeed a few things I feel are missing, and one i really would like:

- drag and drop guns directly from store to ship slots - auto buy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rabman said:

Crafting is 100% improved, no huge latency between clicks and no useless sub components that need to be made in endless batches of sub-components to sub-components, e.g. tar, iron fittings, etc.

Please no busy work for the sake of busy work. The crafting is an accessory to the sailing and combat.

+1, I like the new crafting much more. Can't wait for it to go live.

• Like 4

Reducing clicks doesn't necessarily make the crafting system more immersive.  I'd prefer a more complex and interesting system with specializations of some sort.

17 minutes ago, Christendom said:

typically on MMOs the buttons are self explanatory and you switch to hotkeys after you become used to the game.  Here you have to use the hotkeys because the buttons are not self explanatory.  

Surely the design could be less compacted for the sake of usability.  I feel like I'm not alone in this though.

i am sorry but its just your opinion man. 

Buttons are somewhat explanatory and once you know for example that 

• Red building from bricks that looks like a british warehouse is a warehouse.
  • Weights symbol means the Store (weights were used in stores)
  • Open journal means mission journal (captain used logs, which looked like a book)
  • and the hammer means the auction (also happened)

you wont need additional hotkeys because you click them couple of times and remember. (Will take some time maybe)

They are forever confusing only if a player has short term or long term memory deficiency, but we elegantly handled this case with tooltips. We have a tooltip and a confused player, who for some reason cannot remember anything in a week, can always put mouse over it and instantly remember - "aha - hammer means auction, where i can "put or view ships on sale", how could i forget, Thank god developers thought of me!"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

Reducing clicks doesn't necessarily make the crafting system more immersive.  I'd prefer a more complex and interesting system with specializations of some sort.

adding additional bloat doesn't make the system immersive, it makes it tedious. Individually I'm not looking for immersion in crafting; I want ease of use. However if crafting were a mini-game of clicks and timing where outcomes varied by these parameters perhaps that would quality as immersive, but sliders, clicking and having to keep track of all of the various quantities of sub-components and batches is busy work and creates an unnecessary inventory management aspect of the game that detracts from the main objective of the game, sailing and fighting.

• Like 4

I was asking Devs ( @admin ) for the past months to either remove "trading goods" entirely from the game (I never really liked them) or at least separate them in the shop from the resources group. They always create unneeded clusterhello kitty in shop/contracts and it's hard to find stuff you're really looking for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

I was asking Devs ( @admin ) for the past months to either remove "trading goods" entirely from the game (I never really liked them) or at least separate them in the shop from the resources group. They always create unneeded clusterhello kitty in shop/contracts and it's hard to find stuff you're really looking for. 

But you can do that. I've clicked "resources" to hide all trading goods for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, jodgi said:

But you can do that. I've clicked "resources" to hide all trading goods for a very long time.

Have fun scrolling entire list:

image.png.a61a945d2bc9b8f7814da4f2014745b0.png

Also I don't think we have "resources" filter for "resources with new UI, but haven't paid much attention to this. It still should be 2 different categories from the base.

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Have fun scrolling entire list:

Also I don't think we have "resources" filter for "resources with new UI, but haven't paid much attention to this. It still should be 2 different categories from the base.

Oh, THAT list, got it.

i like the new crafting system but i don't like the ui. too many clicks to do something

why is the hold not directly open when I open navy? 1st: I put canons on the ship. 2nd: repairs. 

i have to open 3 windows. Navy, Hold and Warehouse. thats stupid

4 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Oh, THAT list, got it.

That list, but the port shop also annoys me, I almost never use trading goods and they are just a useless placeholder for me... The game before they were added seemed better and cleaner. 

we need more options to send stuff per right click.

for example: 

send doubloon to the money chest. (from hold or warehouse)

send stuff from hold in your warehouse (not only in clan warehouse)

send stuff to hold of the selected ship

that makes life easier

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Also is there any chance we get the Portuguese in game? It seems a bit weird that they aren't represented when other nations much less associated with seafaring are...

I created a post a few months ago explaining  why Portugal ( my country ) should be in game in the south east corner of the map.

Unfortanely the devs didn't repplied to my request.

About the port UI. I don't have problems with the textures, they are not great but are good enough. What i  would like to see is life in the harbor.

- Not one pier but a few.

- Random ships docked in the pier and in the bay.

- Some seagulls resting in the pier and some flying around.

- Seagulls , waves , sailors sounds.

1 hour ago, RKY said:

@admin can I have an answer? much appreciated!

I feel your pain. but i would suggest first to post your screens and explain where it does not work for you with specifics. (Especially referring to your screen sizes.
We might be able to improve or fix it. 

Just now, kevdreck said:

The icons for Gold and Silver are missing

20180928190219_1.thumb.jpg.30329a229ec18bd606435663e96cb240.jpg

there is no gold or silver.. its a mirage. 
just like rigging parts that still drop from some of the old loot tables.

They will be removed from the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

All buttons in all UIs feel new at first. And over time you will figure out which box to click. And it is a common incidence that interfaces updates cause a lot of pain. Nevertheless we know that majority of MMOs (if they are not on consoles) still rely on hotkeys and icons and windows system feels better once you get used to it.

Its just changing pains. 

I have to contest this statement.

Despite the 'old' UI being completely new to me when starting this game for the first time it took me about 5 minutes to find my way around the important bits, and whenever I used a function I didn't know of before I instinctively found it, because Text can be unequivocal. A simple small name below each icon, much like every single widely used operating system with a GUI employs, will quickly eradicate the problem of having to fumble around clicking random buttons or waiting for tooltips to appear.

It is true that those of us who play this game currently will probably get used to the new UI given a bit of time, most of us show symptoms of addiction anyway :D. But that may not be the case for countless new players after release, who will see the UI as it is now on the Testbed, and immediatly be discouraged from getting into the game.

4 minutes ago, admin said:

there is no gold or silver.. its a mirage. 
just like rigging parts that still drop from some of the old loot tables.

They will be removed from the game. 

Spasiba ^^

8 minutes ago, kevdreck said:

Fir Log is double listed

That changes when you change frame and planking.

13 minutes ago, kevdreck said:

And another one ^^

Fir Log is double listed

If you build Fir/Fir it will be tripled :)

Edited by Jim Beamreach

46 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

I have to contest this statement.

Despite the 'old' UI being completely new to me when starting this game for the first time it took me about 5 minutes to find my way around the important bits, and whenever I used a function I didn't know of before I instinctively found it, because Text can be unequivocal. 

While we agree with some statements by captains like @Wraith and @rediii that moving items should (must) be improved and grid system is better and list is confusing.. and we will address this issues.

But regarding icons - gimme a break. How many hours you will need to learn that gold coin on top is a gold coin leading to your wallet - with gold coins? How many times you will be lost in that function? 

But we are fully committed to the icons system as it is more scalable going forward and know from experience that humans get used to icons if these icons never change.  In short.. lack of 💬wont be a 🚩 for people who love 🎮

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Borch said:

You mentioned something about modding being needed for UI to work. I think that you could actually go the way @Schwabbelsuggested.

We never mentioned modding for being needed for UI to work. 

Just now, admin said:

While we agree with some statements by captains like @Wraith and @rediii that moving items should (must) be improved and grid system is better and list is confusing.. and we will address this issues.

But we are fully committed to the icons system as it is more scalable going forward and know from experience that humans get used to icons if these icons never change.  

Sounds good.

I definitely look forward to a more grid like item system and hopefully each item takes up less space than they currently do on the testbed. I wouldn't say it was confusing for me, it just felt like a lot of space is being "wasted."

@admin If you don't mind - I would like to show you a screenshot of my Hangar layout in Eve Online, I'm just at work right now and can't get on. But I hope to visually show a UI "dock/warehouse" setup that I think would be great for Naval Action. Yes, Eve has windows just like these new windows for NA, I just want to show a UI that, from my point of view, handles the limited space we have on our screens a lot better.