Game-Labs Forum

Naval insurance comes to the Caribbean

Good news everyone.
In one of the next patches crafted ships will be come with navy insurance. 

Insurance at base price (ship material cost + small %) will be automatically paid out if you ship sinks in a battle (to a player or to an NPC vessel). 
Insurance will only be provided for the ships crafted by the players (not for the admiralty ships or imported vessels, which are not covered by policies). 

• Like 18

What about modules? In most cases they exceed the buy price of the ship by millions.

Tbh personally I never felt sorry for the ship only for the lost modules.

The other thing is that players always sell ships overpriced. Ships that are worth 100k of materials are sold for 500k. Sure it's kind of our mistake but I fail to see how this small pocket money will change the situation that captains rather fight than run.

Pls tell me what are the benefits of the insurance? Will I have to pay the insurance price on top of the buy price because merchants think they can make even more profit because it's actual free money for me?

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Yeah the ship itself is pretty worthless in comparison to losing a good in built bonus like very fast on a 5th and the modules are normally worth 5x the price of materials for crafting the ship...But if it makes people more comfortable with loss and they sail/fight more it can't be a bad thing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spitfire83 said:

Yeah the ship itself is pretty worthless in comparison to losing a good in built bonus like very fast on a 5th and the modules are normally worth 5x the price of materials for crafting the ship...But if it makes people more comfortable with loss and they sail/fight more it can't be a bad thing...

But will it? The 50k insurance for losing a prince will not bring back a northern carpenter, a French rig nor the ship.

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

But will it? The 50k insurance for losing a prince will not bring back a northern carpenter, a French rig nor the ship.

No probably not people who are adverse to risk will always be that way because a loss is a loss and people don't like to lose I hate it but I get over it and do it again and again despite expensive mistakes etc..

But does it harm the game to test it. Not really so let's roll with it and save are moaning for the next worthwhile mistake like 8 knot boarding 🤣

15 minutes ago, Borch said:

Can you please expand on this and tell us how you expect this feature going to help the game in your opinion?

Insurance should have appeared long time ago, but its better now then never. We have only seen the benefits when reworking economy and rewards systems. 
2 main reasons are - help the new player recover faster and not get stuck in the permanent vicious cycle of losses, and control inflation (counter intuitive, but insurance will actually reduces inflation, because it allows to change the rewards to more historical and less inflationary ones).

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Not all players will reap maximum benefits from this feature. But the majority will (those who sail with basic mods or no mods whatsoever).

• Like 11

Just now, Hethwill the Harmless said:

What if the ship is captured and not sunk ? Does the insurance applies ?

( thinking EFT here, the insured items only get returned IF they are not "captured" by a enemy and are considered lost or, in NA case, "sunk" )

Thank you.

yea that could be some huge exploiting right there. insured ships would have to be uncapturable. otherwise insure that gold ocean and let your alts reproduce an entire fleet of them. 

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

What if the ship is captured and not sunk ? Does the insurance applies ?

( thinking EFT here, the insured items only get returned IF they are not "captured" by a enemy and are considered lost or, in NA case, "sunk" )

Thank you.

no.. because in this case you can use it to generate unlimited money by passing the ships to friends through capture. Crafted ship must end up on the bottom of the ocean in your battle to claim the insurance.

• Like 10

It is a good way to keep causals/new players somewhat happy. 

I do not care if somebody loses elite refit or naval clock. Guys to fit these mods are already aware of what can happen. 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, admin said:

no.. because in this case you can use it to generate unlimited money by passing the ships to friends through capture. Crafted ship must end up on the bottom of the ocean in your battle to claim the insurance.

so to in order to void insurance and generate as much salt as possible we simple need to board and keep the ship then destroy it when we get back to port. sounds legit. 

2 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

so to in order to void insurance and generate as much salt as possible we simple need to board and keep the ship then destroy it when we get back to port. sounds legit. 

Or show up to kpr with a store ship capture a Brit he gets nothing. Sail to the next fort or get counterganked. Just only make sure the ship sinks and get the insurance. While the Brit is left with nothing.

I already smell the insurance hunter^^

Although in the current game people may not think the base value of a ship being significant, I think that may change judging by the comments from the Devs and from recent patches where it is becoming harder to make so much money in game. Recently cash rewards from killing OW fleets has reduced, the overloaded ship penalties have reduced the excessive profits that could be achieved in single run trading, they have said tow to port will be gone soon and a rework of the economy to reduce inflation, all this will likely make it harder to amass large amount of wealth so getting at least some money back from a ship loss may be welcome as the game progresses.

One question I do have is, will the insurance cost be inbuilt into the ship or will it have to be a separate payment in addition to the ship?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Archaos said:

One question I do have is, will the insurance cost be inbuilt into the ship or will it have to be a separate payment in addition to the ship?

To me it looks inbuild. So it's up to the seller what price he takes bit I am certain new price will be calculated this way:

Materials+LH+insurance value + 400% profit= final price

I think the right/better way for this feature would be if the player had the choice to insure the

- Ship ... we should choose the isurance sum depend on the worth of the ship (3-5,4-5 or 5-5)

- the upgrades ... choose the isurance sum by yourself but make suggestions

- the shipload ... choose the isurance sum by yourself but make suggestions

I believe experienced players will avoid this effort but for new players and Traders it could be a good feature.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

Well, you want salt or admiralty payment ?... If you destroy it you cannot submit it to the admiralty, right ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, qw569 said:

sorry @admin but insurance is like fake feature.

Insurance will operate with base price of resources.

For example white oak log will cost 112 but average price in the shop is 2875.

No  need Insurance just decrease amount of resources for building ship.

Economy rebalance will reduce the price pressure on resources. 

• Like 3