Game-Labs Forum

A tiny guide on AFK fishing

jodgi

3 hours ago, vazco said:

Why so many ships, when one gives same resuts? Or do you move caught fish to other ships?

I've never done this myself, but the droprate multiplies with the amount of ships you use, so if you use six ships you'll end up with six bottles after 24 hours of fishing (assuming rng isn't rng during our thought experiment)

2 minutes ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

Why even playing a game with a player count of 200 most of the time when 150 of them are afk fishers?

I'm sure the ratio isn't that bad. In any case I almost always meet one or more players when I play proper and go into patrol zone. I don't care how many sit in reinforcement zone or run around doing eco/crafting chores. As far as I'm concerned there is no difference between an afk-fisher or someone busy with production, hauling, trading or crafting; He is not out to fight me and that makes him useless to me.

I just realized... I could make a SeeShell image clicker that would click the "bring in reinforcements" button but nothing else. So I could put some ship under the guns of home forts but as soon as someone tagged me they would have to deal with bots to get my bottles. See? I could provide great PvE content for those so inclined, with possible bottle loot as a reward. #providingcontent

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vazco said:

Why so many ships, when one gives same resuts? Or do you move caught fish to other ships?

1 ship afk fishing over night, 8 hours -> 1 Bottle

8 ships afk fishing over night, 8 * 8 hours -> 8 bottles

On the long run at least. Of course you might end up with 6 or 10 bottles, but over time it balances at the droprate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liq said:

1 ship afk fishing over night, 8 hours -> 1 Bottle

8 ships afk fishing over night, 8 * 8 hours -> 8 bottles

On the long run at least. Of course you might end up with 6 or 10 bottles, but over time it balances at the droprate.

To clarify, are those 8 alts,or 8 fleet ships? 

2 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

Surely this is against ToS right? I've seen people permanently banned for doing this in other games

Then Econ-alts to get ships crafted faster should also be not allowed, right?

I know in other MMOs second accounts are not allowed at all.

@admin what's the ruleset here?

8 minutes ago, Liq said:

what's the ruleset here?

We've been over this many times: Impossible to enforce and I even think Steam rules blocks reactions against chars on separate accounts.

We can deal with AFK fishing by killing sealed bottles. Who wants to be the poster-boy of killing a PvE feature? You need to run this by the "PvE content" dudes. I'm out as I have much bigger fish to fry than this little inconsequential issue...

2 hours ago, jodgi said:

We've been over this many times: Impossible to enforce and I even think Steam rules blocks reactions against chars on separate accounts.

.... I'm out as I have much bigger fish to fry than this little inconsequential issue...

No, we haven't.  And no, its not impossible.  Alt pvp farmers, did you forget?  Trackable and punished.  Unfair advantage, generally by alts.  so what Steam rule prevents that punishable action?  "I think" don't cut it, quote it if you know it.  If so, then devs are violating rules already.

And the ole I make my comment and disappear is a very convenient way of not backing the statement.

33 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

"I think" don't cut it, quote it if you know it. 

Ok, I don't know it. All I have is a vague memory from a long time ago where admin made a comment to one of the many topics concerning alt outrage. I'm sorry but I can't be assed to dig up a post that's probably 18 months old.

I don't know the legaleze that separates PvP mark farming from eco/crafting, spy and fishing alts.

I do enjoy the "PvP is holy and must be defended" implication, though.

The pve alt problem is neither here nor there to me. That is what I meant by "I'm out...". I'm not going to join the crusade when there's no fire in my heart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

And no, its not impossible.  Alt pvp farmers, did you forget?  Trackable and punished.

You can modify this script easy so it doesnt press the button every 15 minutes, but at random times between 1 and 29. How do you distinguish between a guy who legit sits infront of his PC and pressing a button every 20 mins or so while watching a show on another screen and this script? You cant, its impossible.

Its not nice but its a very minor issue imo because farming bottles is very inefficient. 

We can be happy that there are no bots farming PvE missions. That would truly kill the economy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

You can modify this script easy so it doesnt press the button every 15 minutes, but at random times between 1 and 29. How do you distinguish between a guy who legit sits infront of his PC and pressing a button every 20 mins or so while watching a show on another screen and this script? You cant, its impossible.

Its not nice but its a very minor issue imo because farming bottles is very inefficient. 

We can be happy that there are no bots farming PvE missions. That would truly kill the economy.

I couldn't tell you how you do it, not my department.  Multi-fishing alts should be just as detectable as multi pvp farmer alts I would think?  Any way you slice it, it would go against intent and is a workaround.  I hope by now devs have read and fully understand implication at least in this thread, even if nothing is done.  Where's the response BTW?  I suppose they don't care.  Can't tell me the ole they don't have time to read the forum stuff though, that's all lies.

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Where's the response BTW?  I suppose they don't care

Oh, come on! Response to what?! A guide? Or your moral outrage hidden inside a topic concerning an almost satirical write-up?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jodgi said:

Oh, come on! Response to what?! A guide? Or your moral outrage hidden inside a topic concerning an almost satirical write-up?

Moral outrage?  I have no idea what you are talking about.  I've posted quite rationally in this thread.  Seems you are the one upset though, not sure why.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, qw569 said:

save as 1.vbs and launch cscript 1.vbs

Before sending the key W, you need to activate the focus on the Naval Action window (objShell.AppActivate). Otherwise, the key will be sent to another application when the focus is changed.

Yes, but that's 9 lines over PS's 5.

I think you misunderestimate my laziness. Case in point, Iearning VBScript was too much like hard work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Multi-fishing alts should be just as detectable as multi pvp farmer alts I would think?

Which brings us back to the need to fight alts altogether and seriously. They are exploits, no matter how people try to sugarcoat the phenomenon. Users here can openly admit they have several accounts, boast about it and nothing happens. Them with detected alts should get banned, first time 10 days, second time 20 days, third for a month, fourth time alt account gets permanently cancelled. If they paid or not, it is game damaging behavior, unfair towards beginners and those who stick to rules, and thus cries for enforcement. Yet, nothing is done except in spectacular cases brought to tribunal. Detecting countermeasures should be applied on the whole playerbase.

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

fight alts altogether

Sink ALL enemy players whenever possible. Even when they clamour being alts... they are not. No mercy. Sink or take them with all hands.

Other than that there's only one venue of approach - to design the game single character oriented with as many interesting mechanics as possible to make multi character ( alts ) as discomfort as possible - example: Owning clans possibility to bar access to anyone except their clan/ally clans/nation etc.

9 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

I've posted quite rationally in this thread.

Indeed you did. That didn't stop me from using a strong expression to tease you, sorry not sorry.

9 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Seems you are the one upset though, not sure why.

I just find it tiring with these appeals that "devs must take action how I see fit!", "they don't listen", "they don't care!" and "Can't tell me the ole they don't have time to read the forum stuff though, that's all lies."

That's why.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Liq said:

Then Econ-alts to get ships crafted faster should also be not allowed, right?

I know in other MMOs second accounts are not allowed at all.

@admin what's the ruleset here?

I would rather see people use alts to have more resources than using a computer program to farm free bottles while a player sleeps. 

Ideally, I would rather see both not allowed but many would cry if they lost their alts. 

@jodgi

This is what I used in [EvE] for Ice Mining with 8x ALTs. This type of BOT is NOT ban-able and near impossible to enforce.

https://www.tinyminer.com/features.html

We’re talking fishing now, but it may lead down a horrible path. The [EvE] bot takes a bit of getting used to but after a time... all High-Sec [PvE], You can program responses to chat hails... If enemy in range move away... Defense perimeter attack support ships... all AFK

How to break it...

A Gang would go in and sacrifice 1x player usually an ALT unusally and attack a farming ship. This got him penalized red flagged and AI NPC Police flew in and killed him but allows a drop or group attack onto the fleet farmers with the remaining clan group. The rules may have changes by now...

Idea Summary

Unfortunately, I don’t like the idea if the fact there is no counter balance. Also, to where it might lead, fishing today but better FLEET management of your ships or Multi Boxing with effect attack ALPHA tomorrow...?

Norfolk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, bottles have changed a bit with last patch. Loot isn't near as good as it used to but still ok for average fighting mods, some doubloons and low-ish yield trading goods. The books for elite mods are apparently gone. People will still be somewhat happy to find a bottle.

The focus has shifted towards the new missions and chests for the good stuff. A normal PvEer can grind missions fast and get good stuff, but he will be underwhelmed when he picks up the loot from the super rare bottle drops. I'm entirely fine with it. You can grind missions in PvP, very, very few players can do that as time-efficient as with PvE but it's still *possible*.