Game-Labs Forum

About speed boarding... The real question should be:

Do we want again and again the push into the wind (definately not realistic) the only way to start a boarding (Aside super silly head on rams)?

If the answer as I hope is "no", some different mechanic is simply needed.

This could be not the most elegant solution, still, it solves the hugging crap, and let people board not only pushing the enemy.

Any serious proposal aside, in the end, "no boarding" at all?

I agree boarding mini game is pretty crappy, still I would remember that two ship entagled ending up in a muskets/boarding battle was the most normal outcome of a battle.

People cry 8kts is too high.

Physics wise, yes.

But in truth no ship went in combat full sails (aside often barely manouvering - our ships have super sailing qualities both speed and manouver wise) and so "real" combat speed was around and under 4/5 kts.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
  • Like 1

The game has one area that's well developed - sailing/gun fire, pushed that aside in favour of a mini-game that's not well made, is ping sensitive. Minesweeper is a much better game than Naval Action boarding game, the choice is clear, hi Mine Sweeper.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

The game has one area that's well developed - sailing/gun fire, pushed that aside in favour of a mini-game that's not well made, is ping sensitive. Minesweeper is a much better game than Naval Action boarding game, the choice is clear, hi Mine Sweeper.

Correct.

So the request should be "revamp boarding game", not "make boarding not relevant, extremely rare occurrance, extremely difficult to start" etc...

• Like 2

Instead of correctlng “the stupid boarding game” they introduce these very smart changes to game play which continues to piss off the remaining, give them more ways to Rage.

It is super retarded now Le Boarder can board much faster and easier. I remember 3 of them attacking a buc, it took them long to reduce, crew, sails and to turn buc into wind, so they could Chain board the buc.

Now they just reduce crew, chain him a bit and start boarding, much easier? Gankers win again, good job.

Now nobody will complain about hugging, instead they will be boarded. And the ships like prince, only threats to le quin is no more a danger, just board them. All the ships with less crew are easy meats for le req gank fleet. Barricades ? Easy just stern grape and chain board them.

so to sum it up.

DD is nerved to equal or not equal numbers = boarding allowed or not allowed to board

my impression is that the boarding speed for ships  8 knots (first rates) is a bit on the high side (but lets test, what speed is decisive )

the normal battle speed (for what i always try to produce ) is around the 5.6- 6 knots battle sails (100% sails)

in the normal situation, the speed had to be 3.5 knots to board what was for me always an almost dead slow speed achievement for boarding 

in the new situation, what does this mean in battle,?

when doing battle, and there is some sail shooting at ships going around the sailing speed will drop severely( 65%-85%), what means at some point that every ship can be boarded because of all the ships loose speed at some point. to  7.5 knots what  is below the boarding capability of ships (in the new test face )

so, in my opinion, the boarding speed has to be around the high end of the speed of a battling ship not caught in the board window of a particular ship( in a straight line whit the wind)

remember that ships who turn loose speed too.

so the crucial speed, (and critical speed)for a ship (if you look at the boarding window) should be around the  6. 0 - 6.5 knots. where a decisive speed for losing speed or just speeding up with the wind is a crucial aspect.  to be boarded or not

we can test the new situation at 8 knots, but i would recommend 6.0 knots for boarding  all the ships(where there be an escape speed from 6.0 knots to 7.5 knots )

also what i would appreciate is a boarding  alert indicator somewhere on the screen (perhaps a perk option ?)

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

30% cap is still too high imo.

Aside big ships cant get it, 30% = again Requins bigger than frigates (=>325 crew).

But by having a cap they can just adjust it. Still think Requin should be a 5th too and not in shallow port battles cause there are no craftable ships in shallows with that base crew

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Crow said:

That would be fine also. To slow though and hugging returns.

oh i agree it should be hugging considered against.
but right now its literly any tanky ship whit 1 side of chain and she is primed.

i wish the developers.  would increase the fired at morale.
if a ship is in full boarding modus crew should take a dmg multiplier. :).
when receiving a broadside :)  this wil bring into game.

the command "dont let her get close enough to board damn u reload faster"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

Barricades ? Easy just stern grape and chain board them.

I fail to see how you still struggle against Le nerfed. 

You have to move on.

• Like 1

Hello,

my opinion ...

The hotfix was/is unnecessary and to etreme. There are many much more important issues to fix first. Would be better the adjust the mechanic with an new boarding system. 

The boarding speed of 8knts is to high (and not realistic) if I see the max speed  of our line ships ...

The nerf of the defensive boarding perks/mods at once is like to shot leaks in a ships hull and fill water in it from above at once ...

.... keep on sailing anyway guys

Edited by Karpfanger

Despite my reservations yesterday, before sitting and playing, i will concur that

- Too easy to board. Is a no brain, really.

- vector to enemy ship, ram to reduce speed difference and lower both to required max, and board.

- it supressed all need to work wind, get in position, defend distance from enemy ship, etc.

While I can understand the need the counter the hugging plague this is, in my opinion, not the best way to do it.

I can also understand the need to counter act the "meta anchoring" of ships upwind.

For hugging I would definitely go with "constant contact damage" based on tonnage. So a lighter ship side hugging a heavier one will get continuous damage based on ton difference "delta". The higher the difference the more pronounced and fast the damage build up.

For the "meta anchoring" I would review the forces on the sail groups. Ship with excess square force cannot be counteracted to a almost standstill by the jibs and stays - no matter how epic the auto skipper is - , so either tacks around or falls back to the previous tack, forced by lee, etc and bows back into beam.

• Like 9

May be contact, aside from light damage also gives leaks to lighter ship? Execisive hugging = too many leaks? + some hull damage.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

For hugging I would definitely go with "constant contact damage" based on tonnage. So a lighter ship side hugging a heavier one will get continuous damage based on ton difference "delta". The higher the difference the more pronounced and fast the damage build up.

+1

• Like 1

Reading this topic, i think we need musket/swivels mechanics to deal with the hugging meta.

To fix the hugging meta with a feature (boarding minigame) which is subpar to the rest of the game opens just more issues then it covers.

This musket/swivel mechanic could be a simple as 10% crew killed per minute when within 20 metres of a higher rate ship, dont need new animations for that, maybe sounds so you know...

Edited by sveno
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

May be contact, aside from light damage also gives leaks to lighter ship? Execisive hugging = too many leaks? + some hull damage.

36 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

I understand the "outcry of friendly fire" but... Light ships stay away from the battle line... it is not your place.

There should be anouther type of shock in game when you take so much damage that most of not alll your side armor is gone.  If a ship losses all armor in one broad side and eats into structure they should be taking on water big time and trying to save there ship not pulling away and instant heal while some one takes its place.

even if they aren’t leaking the shock should make it so they can’t turn away and could be left in place to take anouther broadside from said bigger ship. 

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Revert hammocks changes and make Requin a 5th rate. And ban all DLC from port battles period. Continue testing the 8 knot boarding speeds.. I'm ambivalent at this point but leaning towards thinking it's a good change.

Devs mentioned that they can't change hard stats.  

14 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

Against 6th rates. That has been the complaint. I was just learning a Prince again to try and counter the Le Requin but now I have to be even more worried about being boarded. The Crew difference is huge with the stock LeRequin against any other 6th rate.

Exactly.  And good snow , prince mercury captain could had a chance against a requin now the moment they are close doesn't take so long to board.

We are not playing Naval Action anymore . Now it is Boarding Action.

1 hour ago, no one said:

Devs mentioned that they can't change hard stats.  

I think you misinterpreted that statement. The Herc changed if you remember. As did the Requin's BR. If these can change then anything can change.

Edited by Wraith

8 hours ago, Crow said:

Well thanks for the reply so far.

It does seem by reading them however, that a lot of you now, want the boarding speed lowered again and some kind of fake musketery implemented or longer boarding timers or RNG to allow boarding at all.

These mechanics were introduced because of the incessant calls to stop hugging on the forum by the same people.

I wonder if many of you just don't like boarding at all ? I am starting to think that the forum wants to shape a game that suits them and their play style regardless of the outcome.

Shooters gonna shoot.

Boarders gonna board.

I think it might be best if the devs push on with their own vision and ignore the forum lobbyists all together..

Looking at the Forums over the last couple of months you see a lot more about the Le Requin and massive crew that can autoboard any other 6th rate ship with guaranteed success than you see about hugging.

Some kind of fake musketry? Really? How was Admiral Nelson killed? There is a lot that the crew of a bigger ship could do to a smaller ship that wanted to stay along side of it. Captains of smaller ships knew this and that is why it was never done.

The only reason the changes were made this way is to keep the people happy that bought the Le Requin. True, it is no longer as effective in deep water but it is now even more scary in the shallows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

Looking at the Forums over the last couple of months you see a lot more about the Le Requin and massive crew that can autoboard any other 6th rate ship with guaranteed success than you see about hugging.

Some kind of fake musketry? Really? How was Admiral Nelson killed? There is a lot that the crew of a bigger ship could do to a smaller ship that wanted to stay along side of it. Captains of smaller ships knew this and that is why it was never done.

The only reason the changes were made this way is to keep the people happy that bought the Le Requin. True, it is no longer as effective in deep water but it is now even more scary in the shallows.

A decent requin captain should not annoy himself hunting in shallows, IMO.
I prefer attacking a 4th rate than a 6-7th rate.
Guess why?

The boarding at 8 kts, if properly used by the bigger ship, could mean an insurance that sterncampers and huggers will be VERY cautions (and yesterday, especially with my crew down to 120 after doing 4 boarding battles, I was VERY cautious and always looking at my speed while sterncamping a Bellona; today I'll be back passing, raking, braking hard to not risk a broadside, turning and passing on the other side).
We get back to 3.5. All the same as in the past.

9 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

A decent requin captain should not annoy himself hunting in shallows, IMO.
I prefer attacking a 4th rate than a 6-7th rate.
Guess why?

The boarding at 8 kts, if properly used by the bigger ship, could mean an insurance that sterncampers and huggers will be VERY cautions (and yesterday, especially with my crew down to 120 after doing 4 boarding battles, I was VERY cautious and always looking at my speed while sterncamping a Bellona; today I'll be back passing, raking, braking hard to not risk a broadside, turning and passing on the other side).
We get back to 3.5. All the same as in the past.

Well 4th-1st rates should never sail alone :D, they  not got the turnrate to cope. 

There are things you can do especially against downwind profile ships, upwind ones i have more trouble with though, but can do same but opposite. Just isn't as effective putting stern so have to go with wind to reach it as opposed to upwind vs downwind ship but thats way it is :). Or  against upwind ship can of course go downwind and try demast with stern guns, and put distance between you if faster build.

Edited by Dibbler

6 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Well 4th-1st rates should never sail alone :D, they  not got the turnrate to cope. 

Honestly the Constitution is a frigate, she sailed alone... and she was espected to sail alone. The same goes with plenty 74guns.
In real, a lone 74guns was really safe... aside if caught by another, or more, 74guns: no frigate would dare targeting her.

And ingame we have and had plenty successful (indeed supermodded) lone raiders on Ingermanlands or Wappens.