Game-Labs Forum

Trading

46 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the number of players who play Call of Duty, Rainbow 6 and Battlefield obviously like fighting for no other reason than ... to fight.

There are tens, to hundreds, of thousands of people playing those games at any given moment, and they are not likely interested in any content ... except to fight.

Perhaps some of those millions who enjoyed those games are here in the NA community.

I think we may be outnumbered.

You forgot CS:GO and SE4.  Fun, and in this game I trade, lol.

8 hours ago, Macjimm said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, but the number of players who play Call of Duty, Rainbow 6 and Battlefield obviously like fighting for no other reason than ... to fight.

There are tens, to hundreds, of thousands of people playing those games at any given moment, and they are not likely interested in any content ... except to fight.

Perhaps some of those millions who enjoyed those games are here in the NA community.

I think we may be outnumbered.

Very true indeed but don't forget these games are instant action and aimed at younger adiences, while also not intended to be played for hundreds of hours like a good mmo game ( that NA could be ). I think that if all it took to make most people enjoy the game was endless fights then NA would have thousands of active players, because the combat model / mechanics ( except for the boarding ) is excellent and decent ships are easy to come by. However I do see a lot more potential in NA beyond some arcadey arena shooter and I hope the devs do too...

I strongly believe with some meaningful content, finetuning and balance NA could be very successful for years to come and I think the devs have the right vision, we are just getting there very, very slowly which is somewhat understandable considering the size of their company. The only thing I dislike is how they have some people work on other games instead of focusing all resources into NA until there is a solid base to expand upon.

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, Sovereign said:

However I do see a lot more potential in NA beyond some arcadey arena shooter and I hope the devs do too...

I strongly believe with some meaningful content, finetuning and balance NA could be very successful for years to come and I think the devs have the right vision, we are just getting there very, very slowly which is somewhat understandable considering the size of their company. The only thing I dislike is how they have some people work on other games instead of focusing all resources into NA until there is a solid base to expand upon.

I think that we need to find a way to give purpose to all ways to play the game, Even for those who only wish to fight as fast as they can.

However they tend to realise that having better ships and upgrades is a good thing and thus understand that it´s best to join a clan or get friends to make ships or all the other boring stuff they don't like. We also need to make sure that crafting and trading have a meaning/purpose for the nation and its course to prosperity.

It's never easy to find a balance between all of the different ways to enjoy the game and to keep the rewards fair between them no matter what path you embark on.

But more PvE content and the introduction of TRADERS MARKS should be a good addition. Sadly most PvP oriented players don't get that more PvE players sailing around is better for them as that means more ships/upgrades for sale and more targets in open waters.

I've always thought that the OW should be separated into various areas that reward different styles of gameplay.

Hot spots or conflict sites could provide more marks, and other incentives, for PvP or extreme risk trading. 

Low intensity areas could have varying levels of support for friendly players and allied nations.  The transition between the zones should vary, and be graduated, so that players would only be certain of high PvP points deep in the heart of a hot spot, and traders could rely on heavy NPC support, like multiple warship reinforcement in low conflict areas.  It is important that boundaries between zones are dynamic and ever changing to prevent players from meta gaming the fringes.

I enjoy trading, even with the current state of the game, but the challenge comes from trying to find ways to trade with players rather than just the game mechanics,  I prefer the risk from a PvP world rather than PvE.  I think it would improve the trader experience if the impatient warrior type players were beating each other up in a predictable part of the map, and it might result in more PvP opportunities for them. 

• Like 1