Game-Labs Forum

Hardcaps

Suggestion:

Limit hardcaps on ships to 15%.

Reason:

Make the hard wood matter, not the flimsy modules.

EDIT: And I mean the hardcap on speed increase as well.

Edited by Guest
Because I can

There's not much hard thinking when advantages sum up always cover the disadvantages.

Not diminishing returns, but equivalent disadvantages. And i mean serious ones. 

Example, many pirates did refit their "veffels". They would flush below decks so more cargo and crew space at the expense of ship solidity. They did "improve" rigging for specific wind conditions at the expense of performance in rough seas, etc.

Everything is a plus atm. Not much thinking going on, and it starts with woods :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Suggestion:

Limit hardcaps on ships to 15%.

Reason:

Make the hard wood matter, not the flimsy modules.

EDIT: And I mean the hardcap on speed increase as well.

All upgrades will be split into 23 groups, clearly identified by a specific icon for a group

(something like this)

mdjHzPY.png

All books will also split into groups. 
You wont be able to install upgrades/books from the same group. New upgrades will be introduced. Some illogical books will move to upgrades and vice versa. 

this might reduce the need to have hard caps. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, admin said:

All upgrades will be split into 23 groups, clearly identified by a specific icon for a group

(something like this)

mdjHzPY.png

All books will also split into groups. 
You wont be able to install upgrades/books from the same group. New upgrades will be introduced. Some illogical books will move to upgrades and vice versa. 

this might reduce the need to have hard caps. 

What will you do with mods like light ropes and blocks? The mod will be irrelevant with art of ship handling. Light carriages is also a nice mod that will be useless compared to gunnery. Why don't you try limiting upgrades and then books if stacking is still to bad. Using 2 books from the same pool is what makes peoples ships so diverse. 

can light carriages remain please? its one of the few skills that make 5th barreble?
at a proper downside. less crew needed good for lighter ships surprise, endiomions who can be undercrewed easie. as the downside is "more chance u lose one"
it seems fairly balanced? even tough i wouldnt mind if its restricted to 4th and below. if the problem is on line ships.

2 hours ago, admin said:

This whole suggestion is great. Right now outfitting a ship is an art, and some people possess knowledge of how to gain a significant advantage, which others don't see. Your system I think makes it simplier, reducing the knowledge gap between veterans and new players. Well done - assuming I understand it correctly :)

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

What will you do with mods like light ropes and blocks? The mod will be irrelevant with art of ship handling

As it should. Art of shiphandling already contains that kind of knowledge. Will you make the ropes and blocks even lighter?

5 minutes ago, Capt Aerobane said:

I would rather see modules have the sh*t nerfed out of them so we don't need caps.

15% speed is still ridiculous

modules are what make the ships unique. perm mods and slots. nerf them and you put a very low ceiling on all ships. so no need to craft ships to try to get 5/5 golds. which reduces need for ports and upgrades. making rvr even more useless.  and the game as a whole very very shallow. 

making a MMO where gear means nothing is kinda stupid IMO. if I want to spend 50mil on a gold 5/5 ship and put another 15mil worth of upgrades on the ship I should be able to. gives a lot of meaning to the other aspects of the game.  and it makes me feel a connection with my ship. 

Edited by King of Crowns

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

As it should. Art of shiphandling already contains that kind of knowledge. Will you make the ropes and blocks even lighter?

Was an example how the meta mods make other mods obsolete. Books are mostly fine imo. A general nerf of all mods would do the job imo. Art of ship should be 2% speed too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oberon74 said:

A 5/5 is still useful.  Just because you cant stack mods doesn't mean you wont want 5 slots

it wont be worth it if the mods are nerfed to nothing. its barely worth it now. 1 out of 25-35 ships is a gold. that's a lot of money being thrown away. breaking up 24 ships just to get/keep one gets expensive. especially when its first rates. 

22 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

it wont be worth it if the mods are nerfed to nothing. its barely worth it now. 1 out of 25-35 ships is a gold. that's a lot of money being thrown away. breaking up 24 ships just to get/keep one gets expensive. especially when its first rates. 

Only an idiot breaks up 24 ships instead of selling them for a small profit. 

46 minutes ago, King of Crowns said:

Honestly I redeemed more than 60/70 Requins... And I got ZERO purple/gold... 

Anyhow AFAIK gold ratio is around 1:50

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

Where do you redeem?  You are aware that the chances are higher in a capturable port, right?

All redeemed only in capturable ports (Key West in the past, by a couple months always in Little Cayman).

And yes. I know. @huliotkd redeemed more or less the same number: same zero purple/gold.

Quite out of statistics. I know.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

9 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

What will you do with mods like light ropes and blocks? The mod will be irrelevant with art of ship handling. Light carriages is also a nice mod that will be useless compared to gunnery. Why don't you try limiting upgrades and then books if stacking is still to bad. Using 2 books from the same pool is what makes peoples ships so diverse. 

Yah I think you should be able to stack two like mods/knowledge but maybe not three.  The problem right now is there is no limit other than the hard caps put in place.   Some of the books also fill mulit rolls (and some mods) sop wondering how that will work.  I mean 5 Rings gives you 5 things so you won't be able to do any books that are similar?   That pretty much kills most of the list.  Hay I'm game for trying it, anything is better than the current system.

6 hours ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Looks like there are a lot of fire fittings :D

I was noticing that too..>>BOOM<<

@admin Until this is put in place though can we maybe get a hard cap added to crew for now?  30% would match up with the other hard caps we have in game all ready.

5 hours ago, Flinch said:

Only an idiot breaks up 24 ships instead of selling them for a small profit. 

Yep I put all mine up for sail. If it is a deep water and get no perks it goes to CT market, if it's a shallow water Purple (or my one rare GOLD) it goes in my private bank of back up ships.  

5 hours ago, speijk said:

not whit the current sheeplike people flinch i cant find buyers for my ship build.

Send them to the US market, I hear they are need plenty of cheap ships at the rate they go through them.

4 hours ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Honestly I redeemed more than 60/70 Requins... And I got ZERO purple/gold... 

Anyhow AFAIK gold ratio is around 1:50

I have  prob made over 200 ships in our clan own port and I just got my first GOLD ship last week.  A bout a dozen purple ships the rest all blue with or without perks, but than RNG just hates me.  I honestly think you should get a bonus if your set up for crafting perks too to give crafters that little bit more edge.

6 hours ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Breaking  up ships gives terrible returns sadly. Used to be good enough I'd buy trash ships and break them for parts

It was and still is tied to durability and should probably change, but I imagine it's a wasted feature these.