Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Intrepido

Paper Fortifications and Snipers on mortar brigs.

I have been and have seen on stream a considerable amount of PBs so far to come to this conclusion:

Forts and towers are usually used to make some fast points for the attacker, the defender usually have no time to stop the enemy mortar from killing some fortifications. As a consequence, we have seen several times the "mortar brig duel", which consists on bringing a mortar brig to kill the enemy one. Yes, a small ship able to destroy another one at high range.

Not only did I see the mortar brig duels, but also the sniper aboard the mortar brig. This player is able to dimast lineships or even sink ships because the mortar ball usually hits the structre bar.

A mortar brig, controled by an average player, can destroy a tower in only a few shoots and forts in less than 5 minutes. When I see this happening my world as an archittect and history lover breaks into pieces, what would have happened in reality if Cartagena de Indias had the same paper forts as NA?

Towers can be destroyed by the broadside of some wasas and the wasa receiving little damage in return. In one stream (Reverse), even a surprise killed a tower. Forts are harder to kill by broadside fire but some of the big ships like first rates can.

Except in shallow water PBs, the fortifications are mostly useless for the defender.  First of all, their fire does almost nothing to the enemy ships unless they are at close range. Secondly, the defender must be "really worried" about the mortar brigs due to their ability to score a lot of points in little time. And lastly, most of the forts placements arent linked to protect circles, which makes easy to the attacker to avoid them.

My proposal is rather simple:

_Buff HP and thickness of fortifications, reload, penetration and effective range.

_Nerf perk and skillbook related to mortar brigs. Mortar brigs cant be so accurate.

_Nerf reload and damage on the mortar gun. Their firing rate is high for the damage they can deliver.

Discuss.

• Like 4

Please don't nerf motors, they are the only counter to century long battles of people kiting upwind and never sailing downwind with some kind of courage/balls

Please please please don't nerf motors. 

Up Thier BR, and make them better.

Just give player control of forts. With motors In Them too.

McAway

• Like 2

Towers take about 18-20 hits and forts take around 50 hits (unless your hitting the base and that takes 150 hits).  That still a lot of hits and time.  Now something I would like to see is better range on the forts and towers.  To many PB's the Towers are pretty much useless unless some one hugs the coast and like you said they are pretty much just easy points that you can even take out with a Frigate or a 1st rate (like a broad side and half for a 1st).   The forts are the only thing that are kinda usefull as they hurt when they hit and they tend to cover partly a circle.  Wouldn't be bad if a Clan can boost the port and have the towers turn into forts too.

Hell I would love to see something like the 3rd rate to have morters too so you can fight in PB's and not just be an easy taget for the hunters to sink.   

Folks also got to understand it's not as easy to hit as you think.  We don't have the red dot any more and when your firing at land you have to have a spotter as you can't see your aim circle at all.  You just got to go off where they land and adjust.  On water it's a bit easier but you have to lead your shots unless some one is stuck in irons or in boarding, which is when I'm dead on them.   They should be deadly and folks should bring ships to take care of them as they make up part of a fleet for a PB.  

• Like 1

I'll agree to nerfing the mortar brig.. It's not difficult to kill 1st rates with a mortar brig, even if the first rates are moving.. That shouldn't really be possible..

The mortar brig perk giving it 4 shots from 2 cannons is OP! And overall I agree with OP on all points.. xD

1 hour ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

Just give player control of forts. With motors In Them too.

image.png.7bacbeddddd340ba306e1734137867e9.png

As requested

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 5

I too would like to see the MB become less of an offensive weapon.  The fire rate and accuracy is too much.  

Like others have said, the forts are next to useless.  Make those defensively much stronger - maybe doubling or tripling the hits needed to destroy them.

Even allow a player to aim and shoot the cannon on each fort (separate from the ship captains).

• Like 1

Towers are useless to the defender in port battles and are easy points for the attacker.  Make the towers useful by increasing their range or moving the circles closer to shore so the towers can cover. Forts are not much better than the towers.

1 hour ago, Tiedemann said:

The mortar brig perk giving it 4 shots from 2 cannons is OP!

This and the extremly fast reload.

Mortar Brig accuracy is not a bad thing, the bad thing about Mortar Brig is that it can shoot 4 balls at the same time from 2 mortars. Unrealistic and too OP. 

Agreed on buffing forts and towers HP, make them avoid friendly fire + maybe give player control option.

10 hours ago, Intrepido said:

A mortar brig, controled by an average player, can destroy a tower in only a few shoots and forts in less than 5 minutes. When I see this happening my world as an archittect and history lover breaks into pieces, what would have happened in reality if Cartagena de Indias had the same paper forts as NA?

I'm tired about always the same discussion "...in reality".

In reality was no battle with 25 first rates on every side, that lasts 90 min and lot of them get sunk. In reality most sailing maneuver that we do ingame would capsize the ship, breaking the masts or are not possible. This is a game. Surrely we discuss every mechnanic. But don't argue with this silly reality stuff.

I agree with you that the mortar brig can kill a fort or a tower that fast. I agree with Banished Privateer that 4 balls out of two 2 mortars are op.

I agree that something should be buffed.

In my opinion there are three possibilities: the forts and towers can get stronger, the damage of mortars could be reduced (2 guns - 2 balls) or the BR of the mortar brig could be buffed

Edited by HamBlower