Game-Labs Forum

Make safe zones safe (again?).!

Gentlemen

Something I've been thinking about lately... It's become increasingly harder and harder to find PvP, I've found myself at La Habana and Charleston more often than I should. I’ve been attacking new players, PVE'ers and other individuals who really weren't too interested in getting their day ruined by a random British captain.

I’ve had shit thrown at me in private messages by “honorable” captains from competing nations around French, American and Spanish waters for attacking them (PvP’ers), instead of attaking PVE’ers. 

This has made me think.

Disclaimer: I know the devs have little to no interest in changing safe zones for now, especially with the new patches on their way.

I'd like to propose the following:

• Make safe zones safe - no fighting  PvP at all in safe zones.. let people do missions there for as many hours as they like.
  • Remove enemy AIs from capital zones (have to leave the capitals if you want to engage AI fleets for books).
  • Remove money reward for killing ships in missions, increase the cash reward for the mission itself.
  • Make the cash reward higher for low tier missions, and lower for high tier missions.
  • Make all basic books purchasable from the admiralty with CMs.
  • Make ONE safe zone per nation.

I believe that this will create a good, safe environment around capitals for new players, they will be able to get everything they need for the first week or two - if they want more money, skill books and marks they have to leave the zone.

If experienced players feel like logging-in to fight some AI for an hour this can easily be done in the safe zone too.

Most importantly:  Casuals will never be annoyed again by any gankers or actual PvP’ers looking for a fight. PvP’ers can now fight each-other and brave PVE’ers can explore the beautiful map of Naval Action in hopes of finding new riches while I search for them.!

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Edited according to feedback.

EDIT: For easier understanding.

Edited by Percival Merewether
  • Like 18

This is why I'm waiting for the new OW missions, finding PVP has always been a massive pain. Maybe once the missions are introduced around the map, people will no longer have a need for patty-caking around capitals to find fights in reasonable time, and safezones can once again be safe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Percival Merewether said:

Gentlemen

Something I've been thinking about lately... It's become increasingly harder and harder to find PvP, I've found myself at La Habana and Charleston more often than I should. I’ve been attacking new players, PVE'ers and other individuals who really weren't too interested in getting their day ruined by a random British captain.

I’ve had shit thrown at me in private messages by “honorable” captains from competing nations around French, American and Spanish waters for attacking them (PvP’ers), instead of attaking PVE’ers. 

This has made me think.

Disclaimer: I know the devs have little to no interest in changing safe zones for now, especially with the new patches on their way.

I'd like to propose the following:

• Make safe zones safe, no fighting at all in safe zones.. let people do missions there for as many hours as they like.
  • Remove enemy AIs from capital zones (have to leave the capitals if you want to engage AI fleets for books).
  • Remove money reward for killing ships in missions, increase the cash reward for the mission itself.
  • Make the cash reward higher for low tier missions, and lower for high tier missions.
  • Make all basic books purchasable from the admiralty with CMs.
  • Make ONE safe zone per nation.

I believe that this will create a great environment around the capitals for new starting players, they will be able to get everything they need for the first week or two - if they want more money, skill books and marks they have to leave the zone.

If more experienced players feel like logging-in just to fight some AI for an hour this can easy be done in the safe zone too.

Most importantly:  Casuals will never be annoyed again by any gankers or actual PvP’ers looking for a fight. PvP’ers can now fight each-other and brave PVE’ers can explore the beautiful map of Naval Action in hopes of finding new riches while I search for them.!

Cheers guys.

This - this could actually get me back into the game.. Which ofc could be an argument to not implementing it :)

12 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

This is why I'm waiting for the new OW missions, finding PVP has always been a massive pain. Maybe once the missions are introduced around the map, people will no longer have a need for patty-caking around capitals to find fights in reasonable time, and safezones can once again be safe.

OW missions will be intresting yes, but i doubt it will fix capital zone ganking or it may be safer for first two months then it will be back. No matter what they introduce people will always try too raid KPR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Oh the Brits have so much luck. They do not even have to sail around to get PVP, they just have to stay at KPR. 

Let's just focus on creating an environment that will foster more players for you to kill at Tumbado with your 1st rates and for Nethros and I to gank :) 

I'm never at KPR, and I'm tired of safe zones and all the fighting happening around them... I just want people to leave port.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Everything looks fine, except that ^. What is the reasoning for this? 

By only giving only the mission reward itself, you can tune the mission income in safe zones thus making high-tier mission less profitable.

This means that going out in your Navy Brig will get you a decent amount of money to develop your outposts, but doing 1st rate missions will only give you a limited income and force rear admirals out of the zone.

You will still get the money for sinking ships if you do the missions outside the zone of course. The idea is to promote an easy start to Naval Action but force people away from the safe zone if they wish to develop further in-game.

Doing 1st rate missions in safe zones will likely cost you more in repairs than you will make, but will still fun to do if you need to kill an hour before dinner or bed.

3 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

but force people away from the safe zone if they wish to develop further in-game.

Your main points are good but:

This will unfortunately make many PVE players leave as well.

17 minutes ago, Crow said:

Luckily there still is an entire server dedicated to PvE then..

I think I love you @Percival Merewether. Sounds like NA wonderland except for the issue Basnished has adressed.

I see no reason to cut the rewards.

"Most importantly:  Casuals will never be annoyed again by any gankers or actual PvP’ers looking for a fight. PvP’ers can now fight each-other and brave PVE’ers can explore the beautiful map of Naval Action in hopes of finding new riches while I search for them.!"

That perhaps sounds a bit too idealistic though :P

Edited by Palatinose

21 minutes ago, Crow said:

In the end I appreciate his point and yours too... But: this is the PVP server.

In some games (EVE) they solved the problem at start: there's no pve server... And everybody knows he can be ganked multiple times if out of safe zones... That are surely bigger, but still doesnt allow any meaningful farming.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

4 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:

I do not see/understand the need to change this. Mission for gold is not the most efficient method of earning gold in this game and you get much less gold from missions than you do for equal OW AI fleets already.

But everything else I totally agree on! :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback so far

16 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

I think I love you @Percival Merewether. Sounds like NA wonderland except for the issue Basnished has adressed.

3 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Everything looks fine, except that ^. What is the reasoning for this? 

7 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

I do not see/understand the need to change this. Mission for gold is not the most efficient method of earning gold in this game and you get much less gold from missions than you do for equal OW AI fleets already.

But everything else I totally agree on! :D 

Edited the main post according to the above suggestions.

• Like 3

I do think it is hilarious when you tag an opponent in a safezone and they complain and yell about how you're tagging the wrong nation "you're in the US safezone, you attack US not me." Or something to that liking. Keep doing it because pvpers shouldn't be telling you what you can or can't fight.

The safe zones really should be truly safe of pvp. But players should feel encouraged to leave the safezone for incredible rewards.

Going into pvp zones or areas where pvp is allowed is very risky, so the rewards should better represent that. I agree with the proposed additions, but i disagree with lowering rewards in the safezone unless you make the safezone pvp free.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

I agree with the proposed additions, but i disagree with lowering rewards in the safezone unless you make the safezone pvp free.

I am suggesting to make safe zones pvp free - you cannot fight or tag anyone in the Safe zones. 

7 hours ago, Percival Merewether said:
  • Make safe zones safe, no fighting at all in safe zones.. let people do missions there for as many hours as they like.

I shall edit that from "no fighting" to "no PvP"

I think the easier way to do this is make capital zones bigger for the easy nations:  France, Spain, US and British.  Keep the other safe sxone rules for the ready of the area.  I’ll use US as an example make all the ports north of CT prot ct d zones under capital rules.  Fights can still happen but US players have to start it.  Ke p the mission rewards her to basic mod drops and repairs.  Ships in OW should remain as folks don’t always want missions cause they pay out crap as they should.  

In other games there are safe options and the games are very popular with many players.  There are options like solo play, private play and open play and everyone's assets transfer between the types of servers.

I've never understood why there is such a strong opposition to allowing players to build wealth in a safe environment, and then letting them use an option to play with the PvP activated.  The outrage seems to be a Naval Action thing.

Having safe areas won't wreck the game.  It will attract those who enjoy the style.  Personally I like the risk, but I wish there was significant danger for warships that encroach on enemy ports.  It seems really weird that a combat vessel can loiter near hostile ports swarming with enemy ships and there are no consequences.

Edited by Macjimm
Grammar

9 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

That's WHY there should be no AI fleets in safe zones. If you want to fight AI for the better rewards and loot then you should have to leave the safe zone.

This is why you have loot tables. Missions give nothing but basic loot.  OW ships give you nothing but common loot.  Epics and Out of safe zone missions gives you better than common and rare loot.  The best stuff should be bought in shop with PvP rewards (sorry best loot should not be locked behind PvP ship grinds) or Epic style missions.    I hate missions, but I would prefer to grind random AI ships over them.  I don't even loot the ships half the time cause even in OW I tend to get basic mods on SOL's I kill in OW.  I don't remember when I got a decent drop of soemthing I didn't already have in an open world ship (RNG HATES ME).

59 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

saddly game is not designed that such thing would work

Care to explain? I don’t see anything preventing the implementation of this.

• Remove secondary safe zones (E.g. Belize, New Orleans).
  • Disable PvP in current reinforcement zones.
  • Remove enemy AI fleets from reinforcement zones.

Doing these three things will get you very far already.

• Like 2