Game-Labs Forum
HachiRoku

Ship Usefulness.

Based on what admin wrote in this thread, I like it a lot. I think he knows the mistakes he made and the future is bright for NA.

Angling is good.
Greenzones are good.

Remember that for example Trincomalee has an option to have 9pd cannons and 32pd carronades. Buffing small cannons like 9pd, would be actually improvement for already very good ships like Trincomalee.
Right now 32pd carronades are useful vs bigger ships as those do good amount of damage from short range and have more penetration at short range as well. Making 9pd cannons to penetrate is direct nerf for 32pd carronades. From gameplay perspective it can be that it is better that Trincomalee captain has to choose instead of always take 9pd cannons.
Mixed setup needs more skill. From gameplay perspective as this is the most difficult setup to sail, it should be the most rewarding as well.  Better to buff Carronades slightly more than 9pd cannons.

An option could be to make SOLs to have historical thickness and simply compensate with HP. Would make different kind of playstyle.

There is tho a certain point where angling does not matter. If the round shot is big enough vs hull thickness it does not matter how much you angle, the shot will go through. This is only for big guns tho. Not sure if this is implemented in game.

DD is good as long as boarding is too easy/broken.

Smaller 5th rates are not in good spot.
4th rates are not in good spot. Including Connie.
Bellona is too good right now. All SOLs should be made less maneuverable and/or slower.
Wasa nerf was maybe a bit too much.

Leaks should not sink ships as fast as those do now.  These need a nerf. Could need more men to survival but sinking ships this fast is not fun.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 2:19 PM, Fluffy Fishy said:

You'd be far better lumping ships together as follows:

• 2nd: Christian VII, Bucentaure, Pavel, Wreker.
  • 3rd: Bellona, 3rd, Montañés, Téméraire, Agamemnon, Wasa.
  • 4th: Wapen, Ingermanland, Constitution.
  • 5th: Endymion, Indefatigable, Trincomalee, Others.

Personally this seems to be the best "rating" tier.

I think the aggie is better as a 4th rate class in NA based on cannons and mods and book bonuses though.

Going by just cannon # on each ship to determine the rating of the ship is absolute bollocks. Then factor in the game the balancing act in order to allow all ship classes and types to be "useful"...

I like balance in a game and I have been consistant in giving feedback to the devs on what I believe to be good or bad or just needs an adjustment. Sometimes my feedback may not be good but that is why we have multiple people giving feedback for the best outcome. 

I skimmed over a lot of this thread because it feels like a good chunk of the thread literally got de-railed, but generally I also want every ship to be useful in some way.

I don't really mind if a particular ship is made to be in port battles or open world or just specifically to combat traders, as long as the ships in question can still interact against each other in a balanced way or not be overshadowed by another ship of similar "usefulness" - although I understand that probably seems impossible.

I guess what I'm trying to avoid is the "why sail X ship to do Y task when Z ship does Y better?"

I'd prefer it to be "we should use X ship to do Y task because Z ship doesn't do it well, Z ship does A task better instead."

• Like 2

On 8/29/2018 at 2:23 PM, Cmdr RideZ said:

maller 5th rates are not in good spot.
4th rates are not in good spot. Including Connie.
Bellona is too good right now. All SOLs should be made less maneuverable and/or slower.
Wasa nerf was maybe a bit too much.

Leaks should not sink ships as fast as those do now.  These need a nerf. Could need more men to survival but sinking ships this fast is not fun.

I agree 4th rates need too be looked at becouse of balance Agga is only useful 4th rate others are not balanced. Connie was hit by nerfs becouse she was good PvP ship, but some players cried so she was nerfed too hard now she is useless

Judging by the new metas it's safe to say we are not getting anywhere with these BR "tweaks" 

Personally although I do believe battle ratings still need fixing I am more than confident that if bouncing was nerft and br left as it was we would have had a better outcome. For sweden I am forced to sails bucs now and I have told the Commanders until aggys, Bellona or vics don't have room in port battles I won't either. It's quite funny that 3 of the best historical line ships ingame have no room again. 

@admin you did the old br calculations according to dps. Why did that fail? You didn't take hull and armor into consideration. You now have to manually adjust the br of ever individual ship until we don't have br fillers. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:34 AM, rediii said:

what we need is a functional eco where big ships cost a shit ton of stuff.

It's YOUR fault!

In this game everybody can build or buy any ship he wants, sooner or later. So we need another system than economy for using more types of ships.

I like the idea of putting them in groups and give them certain properties like armour, firepower, speed, turnrate, etc. Every ship in this group is good in one, bad in one and somehow moderate in the others. Without these properties they should be totally equal. To add a bit more individuality the sailing profiles might differ a bit.

For using more frigates, I think that raising hostility should only be made by 5th rate downwards. While 4th rate upwards will be used for the final portbattles .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sea Archer said:

In this game everybody can build or buy any ship he wants, sooner or later. So we need another system than economy for using more types of ships.

I like the idea of putting them in groups and give them certain properties like armour, firepower, speed, turnrate, etc. Every ship in this group is good in one, bad in one and somehow moderate in the others. Without these properties they should be totally equal. To add a bit more individuality the sailing profiles might differ a bit.

For using more frigates, I think that raising hostility should only be made by 5th rate downwards. While 4th rate upwards will be used for the final portbattles .

I would prefer this also. I hate how all the ships just blend together with no defining characteristics besides the number of chasers they have. You know what I mean? It's like why use essex when trinco does things better while having chasers. Or the Inger, 3rd rate which still sit in darkness having no interesting qualities to make them worth sailing (not even being cheaper, they're outright the worst options to pick) Not sure if it's mods or woods, but ships that aren't corvette style ships are still going 15.5 knts. And 1st rates that go 13 knts downwind make everything pointless even though we don't see them that often, it's still a problem of only meta ships being used, and this isn't saying that there will ever not be meta ships, but that some ships have been neglected and need a niche to bring them back into the fold.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2