Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Farrago

Collisions and crew damage

Recommended Posts

I know simulating collision damage was tried and failed, but with our current unrealistic boarding capabilities or sometimes lack of (determined defender), perhaps it’s time to relook at some options.

First, I don’t know if it is always possible for the game to determine who rammed who. I also don’t if the game can determine the speed of the collision. But...

Here are some options:

Damage and leaks to both parties, the lighter ship sustains worse damage. Possible immediate rigging shock as well.

But even more important and perhaps easier to implement. A use for the BRACE COMMAND. If there is a strong enough collision and your crew is not braced you receive significant crew damage and go in to crew shock.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, as a boarding requin enthusiast most of what I do involves ramming larger ships as full speed in an attempt to get them under 3.5 knots for boarding. In addition to the damage my G key sustains as I constantly slap it, I think my ship should take a little more damage than the minimal bow damage it currently takes. 

Crew damage, masts snapping off, structure damage causing water to rush into the ship. It's just not realistic that I can slam bow to bow into a hercules, stop him instantly, and board. (a maneuver I've used countless times)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sverne said:

Crew damage...

Yep. The command must go out “All hands brace for impact!”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I know simulating collision damage was tried and failed, but with our current unrealistic boarding capabilities or sometimes lack of (determined defender), perhaps it’s time to relook at some options.

I hope you mean that's weird to get a boarding start... contrary to reality that, granted no rough sea, a boarding could start as the 2 ships were side to side... even running with the wind.

Make starting a boarding not REQUIRING a ramming... and boarders will not ram anymore.

Boarding has been overtly nerfed in last year. Let's be clear: or it should be (and IT HAS TO) part of a 1800 naval simulation... or simply sincerely say "we do not want it".

 

Brace and Muskets resisting vs an attack with Marines and bonus, Barricades... plenty way to avoid a board... Determined Defender crappiness (EVEN WHEN BOTH SHIPS ARE READY AND ANGER TO START A BOARDING).

 

Now also extra collision damage (I agree that shhould be nice... BUT FIRST MAKE POSSIBLE TO BOARD WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ENEMY INTO THE WIND BY SHEER FORCE).

 

Gents. Make it simple: "We do not want boarding being a feature OF AN AGE OF SAIL NAVAL COMBAT SIMULATOR" - please: read this again.

Then go around speaking of the beauties of a NAVAL WARFARE IN 1800 SIMULATOR WITH MAST SNIPING, SUPER REPAIRS IN COMBAT etc etc...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The simple fact is that the whole ramming to slow down and board is brought about by the games requirement that ships have to be going at less than 3.5kts. What it should be is a lower speed for boarding but this should be a relative speed. That way someone could come alongside without ramming and match speed in order to board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Archaos said:

The simple fact is that the whole ramming to slow down and board is brought about by the games requirement that ships have to be going at less than 3.5kts. What it should be is a lower speed for boarding but this should be a relative speed. That way someone could come alongside without ramming and match speed in order to board.

THIS. Thank you Sir.

BUT... too many people will start whining so aloud to make the Heaven itself crying if you' allow this VERY REALISTIC and REASONABLE feature.

With this feature... adn then put heavy ramming damage both to hull and masts (THIS was the main way of mast falling): especially in case of a smaller ship against a bigger. And then Boarders will have to stay well cautious to not break their frail hulls against a 1st rate (it should be like hitting a pier).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

I hope you mean that's weird to get a boarding start... contrary to reality that, granted no rough sea, a boarding could start as the 2 ships were side to side... even running with the wind.

Make starting a boarding not REQUIRING a ramming... and boarders will not ram anymore.

Boarding has been overtly nerfed in last year. Let's be clear: or it should be (and IT HAS TO) part of a 1800 naval simulation... or simply sincerely say "we do not want it".

 

Brace and Muskets resisting vs an attack with Marines and bonus, Barricades... plenty way to avoid a board... Determined Defender crappiness (EVEN WHEN BOTH SHIPS ARE READY AND ANGER TO START A BOARDING).

 

Now also extra collision damage (I agree that shhould be nice... BUT FIRST MAKE POSSIBLE TO BOARD WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ENEMY INTO THE WIND BY SHEER FORCE).

 

Gents. Make it simple: "We do not want boarding being a feature OF AN AGE OF SAIL NAVAL COMBAT SIMULATOR" - please: read this again.

Then go around speaking of the beauties of a NAVAL WARFARE IN 1800 SIMULATOR WITH MAST SNIPING, SUPER REPAIRS IN COMBAT etc etc...

 

I get it. You like to board. And you're good at it. I prefer ship to ship gunnery and sailing but I'm not advocating removing your (or my) boarding option, but just in removing as much illogical magic as possible. All mods and options -- both offensive and defensive -- should be on the table during testing.

So, you want to be able to board at higher speeds? Okay. Perhaps. What percentage of your crew do you think would be fair to lose just as they try to move from your ship to the defender at high speed? How many swing across? 20 or 30 seems high. How many of them would not become casualties within those first seconds surrounded on a hostile ship? How about as attacker, the first several rounds of your boarding action you can not bring all of your crew numbers to bear as they can't all get over the side simultaneously? The first waves of attackers would get slaughtered. I'm okay getting rid of determined defender but only if we find as-good-as-possible ways to simulate the difficulty of one naval ship to capture another naval ship when the attacker does not have a huge numerical advantage. Until the ships are completely stopped and after some time in hand-to-hand combat, all advantages lay with the defender (except of course with the element of surprise). Obviously civilian traders would be unlikely to even defend against a boarding action unless they feared certain death in captivity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest common thread in all the problems with boarding and hugging ships to death is the LE REQUIN. These players either want to take advantage of the super OP 6th rate by being able to rage board other ships ( and don’t you dare to do anything to take that away) or with there huge amount of crew and determined defender, hug a bigger ship to death while preventing them from being boarded by that bigger ship ( and don’t you dare do anything to take that away ). 

   Well how about we get a ship knowledge for 5th rates and better to nullify determined defender? That would certainly take care of the hugging issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farrago said:

Obviously civilian traders would be unlikely to even defend against a boarding action unless they feared certain death in captivity.

Unlikely, true. Still i become enthralled when those civilians perform  like this

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26578-trader-with-a-rover-heart

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

And people say DD is a fake feature!!!

I have a better yet on the sleeve :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...