Game-Labs Forum

Wipe on release, 3-4 months?

There was talk in game about another wipe for release (which is kinda expected).

Can Admin or someone tell us roughly when this wipe will come and will it mean everyone starting totally from scratch (knowledge books, xp, ships)?

Just if everything to be wiped anyway in few months then may as well spend more time on other things and devote less time in game for now  :).

I don't mind a wipe at all, but some clarification on what will be lost etc would be appreciated as if i work for rare books now and are gone in few weeks then may as well just wait it out and watch Stormy and Donalds latest movie .

Ty for your time :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Can Admin or someone tell us roughly when this wipe will come and will it mean everyone starting totally from scratch (knowledge books, xp, ships)?

Please don't. Announcing date of the wipe was one of the biggest issues in the past. Game dies for a few months before a wipe.

btw, I heard that wipes are not certain yet. It's not sure how many there will be and what they will include.

• Like 2

Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed
Money, resources, upgrades owned and probably ships will definitely get wiped - some ships might get provided as a head start (including Pandora free DLC)
The rest (ship xp, books, skills, etc) wipe status is unknown and will depend on the multiple factors.

Expect the worst

Date unknown. Localization will take some time as well. 

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, Louis Garneray said:

One problem I have with wipe talks is that it's always too early to talk about it as development takes time and unexpected happen and slow down the development and delay the release date which at the end gives us 2 things:

- people stop playing because they think that what they do now is meaningless.

- some get angry because there will be delays and stop playing.

In the end we end up with even less players... But let remember that right now the only thing interesting in the game is PVP. And PVP with less players is boring.

What I would love to have is some news about the development of the game by the devs every 2 weeks or once a month where they tell us what's going on, what they are working on, if there is any issue, etc... That would keep people engage with the development of the game.

Just knowledge of what will be wiped would be ok such as will everything go, will xp remain, will learned skill books remain etc..

I will play whatever, but if books etc are going to be wiped anyway i may as well sell them and get ships etc. Is a matter of how much time will I commit, if getting books etc is pointless then at least tell us.... it may free up more PvP as people lose the give a damn factor about hoarding, collecting skill books, gold ships etc.

10 minutes ago, admin said:

Money, resources, upgrades owned and probably ships will definitely get wiped - some ships might get provided as a head start (including Pandora free DLC)
The rest (ship xp, books, skills, etc) wipe status is unknown and will depend on the multiple factors.

Expect the worst

Thankyou for reply, isn't about enjoyment as game is awesome imo. More about time i play and what i do, for example if we know knowledge to be wiped would free up hoarded books etc as people play more and less feeling of loss risk etc. More gold spent on ships and fighting rather than trade for that last book for five rings or whatever rare book.

:)

Edited by Dibbler

12 minutes ago, admin said:

Expect the worst

I hope ship xp is safe. Its very boring to Level the ships 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, admin said:

Expect the worst

You  mention Ship Knowledge in the past (a few months back don't feel like digging it up).  I know it will give an advantage at start, but I'll be honest I don't want to grind all them ships again and I haven't even open them all (that should be an achievment by the way).   Hope you try your best on this one.   The books i can handle relearning as they are drops after all even if it means I'll never see the 5 rings ago or other books...cause RNG hates me....lol

From the perspective of a player, I'd argue to keep ship XP (what would be changing to justify having everyone re-doing that?) and determining skill books based on whether drop rates change.  If no changes to drop rates of books, keep as is, if there is a change, wipe to level the playing field for the hoped for new players with language localization.

• Like 6

Hello Captains and Admin,

This topic has gotten me thinking again. "Able Seadog Wade! Stand fast and prepare for a barrage of incoming rotten tomatoes!"

I would like to see an annual wipe. "DUCK Wade!" Around the 1st of the year when everyone is busy with the 2 Christmas' and the New Years festivities. A perfect time to reset the ports, hand out rewards, give Captains a free nation change (if they want) and start fresh. Also allowing the Devs to push out major patches and upgrades without upsetting the players game overmuch. Very handy after full release. Gives the game longevity.

I noticed how everyone was so excited last time as they sort of charged out of the gates from their capitals and RVR, PVP and port battles were everywhere. Then the the ports were captured and eventually an equilibrium set in and boredom began to reign. During the rest of the year things could be shaken up from time to time by natural disasters. Hurricanes ravaging the Caribbean, volcanoes blowing their tops, fire, flood, famine etc. Time to drop small patches and move some strategic goods and resources around, stirring the pot and freshening things up a bit so they don't get stale. 

Just a thought. "At ease Wade, though stay vigilant."      

Fair sailing all and have a great day/night.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, admin said:

Expect the worst

Just to be clear, will there still be "Caribbean" and "PVE Only" servers after launch? I'm really enjoying the game but I'm not really interested in PVP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, admin said:

Expect the worst

What about knowledge slots on ships, will we keep them? I don't care about rank that much now because the XP you need to get 5 slots on L'Ocean is alone enough(or almost enough) to take you from lowest to highest rank. I have grinded all my favorite ships now, so losing the slots on those would hurt the most xD 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

In many games localization is one of the easiest and fastest things

Considering you're not translating to German (Unabhaengigkeitserklaerungen, Freundschaftsbezeugung), Chinese, Japanese, or eg Polish, for which you may need to change UI and/or language strings :) If game is not prepared for localization, it can take a considerable time.

35 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

In every language you can find long words if you wish ;) Case is that Devs announced only very few languages and I don't think they even want to include Polish while there is Polish nation in the game and we have a Polish mod. Fonts, scalling, special signs, nowadays lots of that stuff is universal and was already overcome in many other games with good solutions.

I'm sure you know better, you're an expert

11 hours ago, admin said:

Expect the worst

Wipe it all!  Re-start on a level playing field would be great!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I've seen localizations implemented for other Indie games for 20-30 languages in less than a single month, for some games it took maybe 2 weeks. I'm not an expert, I'm an observer and I am making conclusions. Here is a best guide/tips/experience sharing from other Devs and experts (since you want an expert opinion, Mr. vazco):

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/679/how-to-prepare-a-game-for-localization

In NA it should be simple because:

• We don't have voice sounds/conversations to translate

• We don't have videos/cutscenes with text/voice

• We don't have a manual to translate

• We don't have tons of text, compared to some games with campaigns, conversations, long descriptions and story lines

Nonetheless, it's all up to Devs how they approached the localization topic. If the UI was properly prepared for localizations (based on ENG language or worst case scanario other languages with long words, on avarage 30% more space reserved), if the game code was written with thoughts of future localizations or if it must be rewritten again to prepare for it. It's all up to long planning and preparation in advance or just thinking of localization as final step without any preparation and planning prior to that.

Same goes to sharing entire game text to the community and allowing modding so we can actually do such things on our own like it is possible in Paradox games on The Long Dark as example. These games have different language packs in Steam workshop. 

Worst case scenario localization for NA can take months and there will be still required testing and finding errors and typoš.

Your sarcasm is very sweet, dear expert Vazco, I love you too!

Considering the game is built in Unity and Unity maintains and can use multiple localization managers.. assuming the devs have a clue, it's one of the easiest jobs there is asuming the game was designed for localization from day 1, which most games are.

M

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 3:42 AM, Oberon74 said:

Wipe it all!  Re-start on a level playing field would be great!

im all for, its actually to be expected, would give new players a chance to establish and old players to return without the feeling of being far behind. Dont think there are any MMO's that has let players continue with their xp gained from Test Phases.

Yes all the grind until that day would have been for nothing, but I enjoyed it and it would for my case encourage me to do it again.

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

im all for, its actually to be expected, would give new players a chance to establish and old players to return without the feeling of being far behind. Dont think there are any MMO's that has let players continue with their xp gained from Test Phases.

Yes all the grind until that day would have been for nothing, but I enjoyed it and it would for my case encourage me to do it again.

Agreed..  Alpha players already have the experience of the game to accelerate faster after the wipe.  Nothing else is needed.

• Like 5

On 8/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, admin said:

Expect the worst

Please consider not deleting already learned skillbooks. I am currently working on collecting all books so I can finally enjoy the game without having to worry about books I need. Already learned skillbooks don't influence the economy ( other than new players being able to have a chance to get them within reasonable amount of time because the hardcore veterans don't snatch them all... ) so it shouldn't be a problem. I think this would be more than fair to your loyal playerbase. That being said I am looking forward to the wipe as long as it is only all economy related stuff. A fresh start is not only good for economy but a lot of fun aswell but please don't take our hard earned books ❤️ .... I am not certain I can be bothered to go through the book grind again only for the sake of having to do it again, while also pushing new players out of the market. Thank you for taking my humble opinion into account.

The only thing that would bug me is a knowledge wipe. It takes FOREVER to accumulate knowledge's. I've played over 1000 hours and still haven't acquired art of ship handling and gunnery encyclopedia. I don't want to do that all over again or the last year or so has been a complete waste.