Game-Labs Forum

If we have to live with Reinforcement Zones then...

... make the leap of faith and lets end this once and for all. If people want to live in the capitals all the time, let them.

I suggest the following changes to how the Zones work 

- remove the extra zones. One nation one zone, not two separate ones. So no Belize, New Orleans, Campeche.

- end the separation between Reinforcement and Capital zones. Make them all the same.

- no fishing possible in the Zone

- enemy players can press Attack against any ship in the zone

- enemy ships cannot enter any ongoing battle happening in the enemy Zone - raiders must stick together and get pulled together, declaration of intent. Press Attack, stick together, no more OW battle invasion easy farming.

- zone nation players can call reinforcements as normal when they are attacked - keep as it is now.

- player of the Nation zone can enter at any time. 

• Like 12

I fully support this, as current zones don't do what they are intended to do...

...as long as PvP patrol zone gets fixed so that it's not a gank fest :) 

We need some place where PvP'ers can go to fight each other. Right now capitals are more or less meeting places. Instead we need 1-2 PvP zones where people willing to fight can meet each other and fight.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Flinch said:

Reinforcement npcs are nothing. The true value of the reinforcement zone is keeping the battle open for rescue fleets.

Did you read the OP or just.... post... ?...

I mean, ain't hard to read :) 

but to answer you - Reinforcements are NOT replacements. I tend to see a continued misinterpretation on what reinforcement means... Le Sigh®

4 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

- remove the extra zones. One nation one zone, not two separate ones. So no Belize, New Orleans, Campeche. LOVE IT

- end the separation between Reinforcement and Capital zones. Make them all the same. good

- no fishing possible in the Zone good

- enemy players can press Attack against any ship in the zone nope. NO foreign attack should be possible against zones nation players. 

- enemy ships cannot enter any ongoing battle happening in the enemy Zone - raiders must stick together and get pulled together, declaration of intent. Press Attack, stick together, no more OW battle invasion easy farming.

- zone nation players can call reinforcements as normal when they are attacked - keep as it is now.

- player of the Nation zone can enter at any time. 

Make it like a capital zone now. NO group fights possible. Foes get singled out. Complete no go area for enemies. 

If your thought behind it is to get people out of the zones you have to make them entirley unattractive to hunters. Only if these zones are free of enemies, people will slowly start roaming the open world imo.

Edit: Easier words. If you don't ban me from these zones, I will go there. 

Edited by Palatinose
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Reinforcement npcs are nothing. The true value of the reinforcement zone is keeping the battle open for rescue fleets.

The problem is that rescue may not happen, especially for noobs.  They often don't know how to call for help, or the time of day can mean that there is no one available (or willing to be bothered).  I fail to see why people who want to play a safe game in the green zone can't do so.  Yes there is another server, but some players like to do both.

3 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

If your thought behind it is to get people out of the zones

Nope, actually the opposite. Make the hunters get out of the zones unless they are brave and daring enough to prove the intent - press attack and be drawn as a group.

Want to act tough guy ? Go hunt or go conquest somewhere else. Simple, effective and kills two hares with a stroke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Nope, actually the opposite. Make the hunters get out of the zones unless they are brave and daring enough to prove the intent - press attack and be drawn as a group.

Oh sry I just read that you want to let ppl sail in their capital waters if they want that. I agree.

What if not brave is it to hunt in a capital zone on a normal ship? Requin sailors will never be brave, it's just not the ship for bravehearts. 14.5+ frigs with spanish rig = not brave. 

Normal frigate as attacker: immediate death penalty.

Imo we should solve this conflict of newbie killers vs pvpers forced to go to capitals as ow is empty. And to me there is no possibility but to deny EVREYBODY pvp in SAFE AREAs. Make them safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vazco said:

I fully support this, as current zones don't do what they are intended to do...

...as long as PvP patrol zone gets fixed so that it's not a gank fest :) 

We need some place where PvP'ers can go to fight each other. Right now capitals are more or less meeting places. Instead we need 1-2 PvP zones where people willing to fight can meet each other and fight.

I have so much hope invested in this coming true that I feel vulnerable.

• Like 1

Just now, Palatinose said:

thx for the talking... as always a pleasure 

Reasoning the "why" not out there hunting across the map but going for the easy way is not a pleasure :(, sorry.

Like the generation after Nelson became soft, so the new cadets out of the academy are now soft, becoming also soft hunters, soft conquerors.

Need a push to forge them in iron.

If not by making ALL nations hardcore, then making them 100% softcore, 90% protection and reliance on mates to help them safely.

Also does not give the "pros" a silver plate in which to deliver inescapable ambushes. So they better go search quarry somewhere else more proper to their skills.

14 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Reasoning the "why" not out there hunting across the map but going for the easy way is not a pleasure :(, sorry.

Like the generation after Nelson became soft, so the new cadets out of the academy are now soft, becoming also soft hunters, soft conquerors.

Need a push to forge them in iron.

Well hardcore or softcore? Decide what you want. You call for hardcore hunters but softcore newbies? That doesn't work aswell.

• Like 1

Yeah, I find it confusing myself, but guess majority of old salty scarred veterans rather massacre newcomers than taking those newcomers on hunting trips or even conquest drives.

So if you, or I, and friends want to prey on the Zone only Attack works, and you better be in the circle, else you cannot enter ANY battle.

We better go hunt somewhere else... dunno... sail around and use the map.

Personally ? Always felt the zones the weak link, but we have to live with them, they are here to stay. Took me months to sink that thought in... so why not make it more dangerous to the hunter ? He can still be daring and brave, he just doesn't have all the initiative all the time.

• Like 1

As was stated before... Make the green zones 100% safe but not completely satisfying for the care bears.  Encouragement to move beyond the green is the way to go and Devs have already started on this path.  It is better to build ships in capturable ports.  Extend this so that it is better to do everything outside of the green zone.  All the basic resources are available inside, but more and better outside.  Selling your goods in the green is okay, but regional capitals outside of the green give 25% better prices.  Warehouses are bigger outside of the green and long guns can only be crafted outside the green.  You could even limit the size of shop ship that can be sold in the green zone.  Nothing is mandatory and you can play safe all of the time if you choose.  Fight AI all day in the green, but the drops are less valuable.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Wolves do not like to eat wolves. They like to eat sheeps. They sail into the green zone to find easy food. And, as the clerk says, someone is very successful.

But No sheep = no wolves Happy sheep = happy wolves 

@Sir Hethwill the RedDuke are you sure your suggestion make happy sheeps?

Everyone says that wolves don't like to eat wolves. I say that it's only a not proven theory. Why?:

• in RvR wolves like to eat wolves, there's no problem in that
  • right now wolves have trouble finding other wolves, as PvP zones are broken due to ganks. When there was no gank meta, wolves were fine fighting other wolves in those zones. There are plenty comments saying that "this was the most fun I had in NA"
  • From my experience, when wolves find each other, they fight - that changed after patch hiding names in OW

The problem we have now is that wolves eat lambs before they become sheeps. Once sheeps start to participate in PvP, they have some chance to transform to a wolve. If it's eaten as a lamb, it usually quits.

Give lamb a time to grow! Let them decide when to become a sheep, or aspire to become a wolve :) 

Edited by vazco
  • Like 2

Just now, vazco said:

Now a complete dream-come-true:

Make it profitable for old wolves to take on young wolves or sheep to the pack, by giving them an incentive to do so :) 

One can dream...

Team building and fun loving group of players. Not enough ? Okay, marks for all if they perform. Not enough ? Okay, entire convoys of indiamans full of goodies. Not enough ? Okay, captured ships for them to use so they don't have to craft so much. Not enough ? hmmm...

7 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Team building and fun loving group of players. Not enough ? Okay, marks for all if they perform. Not enough ? Okay, entire convoys of indiamans full of goodies. Not enough ? Okay, captured ships for them to use so they don't have to craft so much. Not enough ? hmmm...

Analyze this from the perspective of an old wolf. I have two options:

1. sail with a group of a few guys I know. Everyone knows what to do, we kill everyone else. We get plenty of marks, noone is getting sank.
  2. sail with a mixed group - a few veterans, and a few new guys. New guys make some mistakes and get people sank. Sometimes they don't show up on time, they don't bring repairs, or don't bring guns.

Option 2 is good for the game. Option 1 is good for the vet. How can you make option 2 more attractive to a vet? :) 

Edited by vazco

10 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Oh, but that's a question of planning, spending a bit of time with the new guys and also passing some cruise planning knowledge.

Yes, it is :) I believe there could be a nice incentive system for people to do this - teach new people and organize. I could probably propose one, but there's no point - not until devs are convinced to the need for such a system first. Once they are, they can probably propose one of their own as well.