Game-Labs Forum

The Lone Artillery and Battle of Fredericksburg

gimli

Hello all, 

I'd like to share a moment with you while I was playing as Union at the Battle of Fredericksburg. I was on BG difficulty level and I was thinking of moving all my forces to the other side of the river to preserve them after a shameful defeat. I've played at second time and after each pull back one lonely Confederate artillery brigade always follows me to the other side and puts the fire on me. 

I thought it was a bug, after all Confederate was historically defending but after second time I investigated more. I'm not a civil war history expert but I watched animated map only to see that there is a single battery of Major John Belham against an entire Union corps to defend on the left flank opening fire from the woods to Union side. (https://youtu.be/YJOPPaPCwXo)

Although the name is different in my game (in mine it is Brockenbrough) I think AI is trying to follow history ! Now folks, I am Turkish but I am really moved with that.. My heads up to this courageous Southern officer and his men , and the to the makers who programmed this in to this game!  

Fredericksburg.png

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, gimli said:

Hello all, 

I'd like to share a moment with you while I was playing as Union at the Battle of Fredericksburg. I was on BG difficulty level and I was thinking of moving all my forces to the other side of the river to preserve them after a shameful defeat. I've played at second time and after each pull back one lonely Confederate artillery brigade always follows me to the other side and puts the fire on me. 

I thought it was a bug, after all Confederate was historically defending but after second time I investigated more. I'm not a civil war history expert but I watched animated map only to see that there is a single battery of Major John Belham against an entire Union corps to defend on the left flank opening fire from the woods to Union side. (https://youtu.be/YJOPPaPCwXo)

Although the name is different in my game (in mine it is Brockenbrough) I think AI is trying to follow history ! Now folks, I am Turkish but I am really moved with that.. My heads up to this courageous Southern officer and his men , and the to the makers who programmed this in to this game!  

Fredericksburg.png

I thought i was the only Turk on the forum :D
Not many Turks know about the Civil War.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gimli and Mukremin,

Major John Pelham was JEB Stuart's horse-artillery officer who took a section of two cannon to the side of Federal General George Meade's 4500-man division and fired into it until one of his guns was disabled, and later retired to his own lines (Jackson and Stuart) taking both guns with him.  He disrupted and delayed Meade's attack for about an hour or so.  In dispatches after the battle, General Lee wrote to President Davis about the "Gallant Pelham" which was quite a compliment. 

Major Pelham died from an artillery shell-splinter when riding in one of the Southern cavalry charges during the Battle of Brandy Station that occurred in June just before the 1863 invasion of Pennsylvania.  He was excited to have an opportunity to charge with the cavalry and was away from his artillery command when the splinter hit him in the back of the head.  Brandy Station is located on Route 29 just to the northeast of Culpeper, Virginia, and south of Kelly's Ford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fredericksburg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brandy_Station

Brandy_Station_Overview.png

• Like 4