Game-Labs Forum

US Political Situation

Lord_Drax

9 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Well, most players enjoy casual days without hard work, just chill, shoot some broadsides, enjoy graphics etc. Work is needed to achieve greater stuff, pretty much like in every other competitive MMO game.

That doesn't mean that this "work" is not enjoyable, many people actually enjoy getting better and improving skill.

Banished, there still needs to be a happy balance.  Not all players are hard core players and/or have the time to spend to be skilled and/or replace looses sustained from being capped, sunk or lost trade goods.   For some it takes human time to replace looses and the looses and thus not just pixels. 

In the end any good game benefits from having a lot of players so all can enjoy the human interaction in a mmo game.  And not all players are hard core.  Some just want to tool around have fun, trade, fight AI and fight others.  However, if the fighting with others becomes a fish in the barrel and one is a fish, a lot of folks just will not bother being a fish and move on to another game and we all loose from the lost of that player base.  

Edited by Yehoodi

The claim is ppl keep stopping because they keep been attacked. Sure some ppl are stopping from that. But how many have we lost because of the mechanic that try to protect the casual players? If I look of the players we lost in DNP in the year I played. Think we in general have lost more player to:

- Safezone, when first rate spawned

- Safezone the stupid join circle, where ships can drop from the sky.

- Grinding shipknowledge

- Hours spend on trading for ressources and gold.

Not so many because they got ganked. But I am also aware that DK-NG hasen’t been hit as hard as many other nations have. But mayby, just maybe nation have lost those player, that could go help the casual from being gank because of the mechanic, and left the casuals to there own fait.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

One porting was purely a result of no war conditions or mechanics, no war goals, no peace treaties and truces just like in EU4. Wars in NA are usually clubbing to death or until both sides had enough.

I don't know how this correspods to my post, I think we're talking about two different things.

No-capturable ports already fixed the issue with most nations being one-ported due to RvR - now nations can have some running eco even when they're down. Right now we have a different issue - people leaving the game due to not being able to sail even in their own safe zones without being farmed. This needs to be addressed if we want to have larger player base.

Or do you have different opinion?

ps. sure, treaties could be a nice features... if done right... if there was time. I guess we can realistically assume they won't be a thing for next 2 years, regardless of what we think or write here.

• Like 1

Just now, vazco said:

This needs to be addressed

I am sure devs hoped the playerbase to address this themselves by playing together, sailing together, fighting together.

Alas we again prove that solo nature is stronger than playing together.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vazco said:

I don't know how this correspods to my post, I think we're talking about two different things.

No-capturable ports already fixed the issue with most nations being one-ported due to RvR - now nations can have some running eco even when they're down. Right now we have a different issue - people leaving the game due to not being able to sail even in their own safe zones without being farmed. This needs to be addressed if we want to have larger player base.

Or do you have different opinion?

ps. sure, treaties could be a nice features... if done right... if there was time. I guess we can realistically assume they won't be a thing for next 2 years, regardless of what we think or write here.

To the bold portion.   

In the end of the day this is what our point boils down to.  Casual or even semi serious player get tired of being a fish in a barrel, especially if they are new and just trying to level up and or get some cash.  And to be honest even some of the more experience players can get a little tired of it. 

I came back after a few months off and decided to just to do a little AI fighting near Little River just for a few kicks,  and much to my surprise got ganked with my one of my first rates way in north in LR.  did not see the guy on the horizon and he jumped into the battle.  Luckily i can handle the lost, but it was a little irritating to be honest.

If i want to meet the enemy i will trade or sail in the Bahamas or sail into Charleston during certain hours of the day.  And for matter chase the enemy near Charleston.

Also, another problem is we have such a low player base, there is often not enough country mates on and in the area one is sailing and free in order to help out folks.  If we had 1500-2000 peeps in game then we would likely have enough folks handing around the capitals to give aid and/or have patrols running up and down the nations coast which could help and make for move even fighting and more changes for folks to get though and thus more balance.  Otherwise folks need to balance themselves to avoid and unbalance. 

Edited by Yehoodi
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Now we don't have one porting but whatever the new term players will create. "Safezoning" or whatever. I guarantee you that even if you make safe zones 100% safe without PvP and if one nation will lose all ports outside the safe zone, players will still quit the game or change to the winning nation. 

Safe zone will simply become a "safe" cage with sharks sailing around it and waiting for someone to leave it. 

That's true. And that's ok. People will quit, but not as many.

As long as there will be a nice fish pond somewhere else, shark will actually be there, happy. I know I would be very happy having some place where I can sail with a good chance of having some meaningful fight (instead of a 1 vs 5+ gank).

11 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Now we don't have one porting but whatever the new term players will create. "Safezoning" or whatever. I guarantee you that even if you make safe zones 100% safe without PvP and if one nation will lose all ports outside the safe zone, players will still quit the game or change to the winning nation. 

Safe zone will simply become a "safe" cage with sharks sailing around it and waiting for someone to leave it. 

Surely, there is no right or wrong answer and surely folks will leave regardless. 

But in the end a game, regardless of the game, needs to be at least playable.  And if things are as you describe, there will be some folks, like me if started again, that would be perfectly happy to play the game, get my feet wet and get a foot hold in areas that are most or almost free of ganking.  Then when i want to get my blood flowing one could venture in the dangerous waters. 

And again we need to be mindful of keeping things balance.  I am sure most of us would agree that if we had pick up basketball or football on the weekends, and things would have it, teams are chosen and one set of folks always loose 65-3 each week, they likely will not continue.  It is kind of up to folks to adjust things so that those game continue, pick teams that are fair and/or rotate teams. 

Just as in NA, nothing wrong with ganking and farming but if it is too much to a point folks will just stop.  So peeps need to realize this and take their foot off the gas and farm elsewhere and rotate around.   The good players need not to change teams like in the real lift basketball above, but can adjust in other ways by rotating where they gank, etc. 

And again it nothing against folks or if some folks are not committed, but it is human element to understand that at time some people are just better than others and we can not keep having 65-3 games even if they are possible, we just need to adjust.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Graf Bernadotte said:

locking all PvP in safezone cannot be the solution

Current solution is that:

• new players who need protection are protected by a broken and unintuitive "safe" zones and have a shitty experience
  • players who want fights search for them in safe zones and have a shitty experience as well, as they're doing something in a zone which was designed to specifically PREVENT what they're doing.
  • players who go to PvP patrols have shitty experience, as they're getting ganks instead of meaningful fights

I think it's just a bit of a common sense to fix both SAFE zone (notice how people name it) and PvP zone (notice the name again :) ) and make them do well what they were designed to do.

As for the rest of your comment - with some help I organized/trained Commonwealth to defend themselves without a protected zone. We welcomed people to come, and at some point they stopped coming. It required a lot of work. I think noone should be forced to do this work, game should provide a good environment for both new and veteran players out of the box.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Graf Bernadotte said:

Take Great Britain as example. They managed to get their safe zone clean, until Le Requin was implemented.

Sure... Probably that's why it was a common hunting ground before Requin.

You're trying to say that people should just get good, stop complaining and get used to the broken "safe" zones. That's completely false. No matter how much you try, as a new player you won't be better than a guy who plays this game since 2016, sails a 5/5 Bellona with Edinorogs going 14.5+ knots, has all the books and has a few friends to support him when things get bad. You won't be better than a sigle Requing when you sail your full Indiaman. You won't be better than a single experienced captain who jumped you when you attacked a fleet in a zone you thought was "safe". It's not about your skills, it's about organization of a nation - and this takes a lot of work, much more than just teaching people how to sail/shoot. 

Safe zones right now give a false feeling of safety and don't protect new players from getting farmed. They give some protection to more experienced players, which is not their goal. They're confusing, disfunctional, they're bad experience for new players and for vets and they should be fixed.

Edited by vazco

As long as there is a marks system that rewards kills blindly, seals will get clubbed.  I get the same amount of marks from a lt in a merc as a RA in a merc.  And less hassle too.  In a map this large it’s rare enough to run into anyone at certain times of the day given our population....asking a player to not sink a ship because they’re lower ranked is a bit of a stretch.  

Gamers will never adequately police themselves.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Before marks system we had high gold rewards for PvP, there will be always better reward than compared to PvE, no difference how you name it.

Exactly. Even if there won't be any rewards, some people will sealclub just for the satisfaction of beating their enemy. Marks are not the problem - all people on the leaderboard have thousands of marks and they don't need more.

You could tell that leaderboard is a problem :) It isn't the real problem though. The problem is that those new players don't have a real way to be safe when they're getting their grips on the game and that they're forced into PvP, rather than introduced.

13 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I get the same amount of marks from a lt in a merc as a RA in a merc.

That's the problem too :)

• Like 1

A big issue is that pvp is basically all there is to do and with the pop as sparse as it is, you gotta get your content where you find it.  Simply put, the game needs more shit to do and more players

Patrol zones are a decent idea, but ROE and DLC ships have ruined them.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Christendom said:

A big issue is that pvp is basically all there is to do and with the pop as sparse as it is, you gotta get your content where you find it.  Simply put, the game needs more shit to do and more players

Patrol zones are a decent idea, but ROE and DLC ships have ruined them.  

While I"m going to disagree with you on this, it is not the only thing to do, maybe for you it's the only thing, but remember some players actualy *GASP* like trading and doing casual stuff like kill AI on there own terms and will join PvP.    Just cause me and you are bored and tired of the grind maybe that new casual is having the time of his life fighting AI.  We both know how bad the majority of the US players are in that Nation, but that is cause a lot of them fall into this other group of casual players.  Many of them enjoy simple things like killing AI cause they only get on an hour or two a night and that is what they have time for.  Others love the trade runs and making all that gold they never spend on things, some of us like it all.  I enjoy trading (not so much these days), Crafting and PvP/RvR.   Though I'm tired of the AI grind so I don't do that as much cause I have billions of hours in this game doing that same AI grind on multi chars.

So remember us old crusty vets are only like 10% of the game the other 90% is the casuals that might enjoy the things we have grown bored with.

And i do agree the DLC ships and Patrol zones are an issue that needs to worked on....but until we see this new patch and the mission changes along with other things......

#SOON

• Like 1

I think a nice balance would be not necessary have green zones but to keep battles anywhere on the map open for a good period of time, say 10-15 minutes. 

This way if the commerce raiders want to jump a single trader, he/she does so at their peril knowing that help could arrive as opposed to the safely of knowing the battle with close in 3 mins.   Maybe help does not arrive maybe it does, maybe what arrives is not enough to defend, maybe it enough to sink the raider, maybe its not enough to keep the raider from escaping, etc.

This would open up a wider range of options.  Allow more folks to be able to get in PvP as folks can join the battle.  

It also puts a little fear into the raiders, who themselves may loose their ship.

It would also balance the battles as now both the traders are at risk but also the raiders.  Sometimes the raiders win, some times the defenders win.  Which is a far more plausible situation then a fish in a barrel situation.   And would allow for more PvP in the game.   And would free up the shipping lane for more traffic, and more prey, as folks will know there is a chance they can use the lanes and help can arrived.