Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rediii

Any new players passing the final exam?

Because i didnt see any except the first days of the final exam. Or is there no message in nation anymore?

• Like 4

Easy way out is to overlook the combat tutorial and exams - that Skip button is very handy. But then captains are faced with the cruel sea and nation chat becomes the help chat.

Should the Academy be a mandatory thing ? At least the Lieutenant exams ? Or leave the choice as is ?

• Like 1

I completed the exam 2 days ago for a clan mates alt, the message still came up then. It does seem that few new players even bother with it from what I have seen.

I believe they have to do the first test, to become captain. 

and should be forced. if past the final exam you skip a rank (as reward from the admirably, royalty politics bonus)

if you did not do the first test, you never get a new rank ...period..(whatever you have grinded on xp points, you do not get a new rank.)

if you pass the last test you got the rank for free in points and assignment to a ship,  a ship that's been assigned by the Admiralty actually,

every rank should have a test and you must pass the test for mastering the ship. (ship type)

but.

just grinding the same thing over and over again does not make you a rear admiral  ...

but it is not implemented in the game its just grinding ships and a new rank pops up like the numbers on a bank account ..

we need to go more in dept with the ranks especially the higher ranks..

if you look at eve and you see that you can fly a super, you have been working for that for years ...(at least i have)

everybody who whines about the grind in NA is not used to anything. 

in order to obtain rank and skill, it may be made somewhat more difficult.

it is being made very easy at the moment.
where the ranks and the learning process are just lost in the process of becoming a good captain.

combined with the skill you have: Reputation, 

in NA, that mechanics is totally not available (yet) so .....(probably another topic and/ or update)

sometimes when i listen to a commander captain and i hear them say, " how must I activate battle sail?,"

sigh ...well, i want to retire from the Admiralty...... to become a noobie myself again...

I sail a SOL and still i am a NOOB...now how could that have happened o.0

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

After 2 failed attempts at the final exam when it was first released (1st, had to leave because of RL event, 2nd just failed), I simply havent bothered trying again.

Reward is not worth it - especially concidering that an "infintate reward" can just be bought. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dagdriver said:

After 2 failed attempts at the final exam when it was first released (1st, had to leave because of RL event, 2nd just failed), I simply havent bothered trying again.

Reward is not worth it - especially concidering that an "infintate reward" can just be bought. 

I'd say just the repairs alone are worth it. They will keep you going for quite a while both in PvE and PvP. 

Even if you put a market price of 450 per repair, that is a LOT of wealth for a newcomer. Add the live gold to give a slight investment starting capital.

Naval clock is just nice to have :)

But to each its own. Having reset my own account to test it, the Exams rewards were essential in getting into the open world activities.

AEFCF750C460DC2A84876DFADB1DFF84DB0BA9D3

DB8D14FF5548771A620881CF0269D80B783506DE

• Like 3

I see words like "mandatory" and "forced" on this thread and it makes me cringe.  People don't want to be required to do something when they purchase a game.  I think we are on the right track by encouraging people to do the tutorials.  There are great rewards and a jump in rank at two stages in this.  If anything, the rewards should be better advertised.  There might be more enthusiasm for the tutorial if we see Hethwill's screen shots when we log on.

• Like 4

I spoke to a lot of people that were trying the exams or returning players that had nothing except basic cutter to start with. 

All of them don't know what the reward for the exams will be. The returning players don't even know that a tutorial exist because other to a new player they don't need to press skip button in order leave port.  After they know they tried to finish it and collect the reward.

Furthermore many returning players think that they are already to educated to do a tutorial. Show them the rewards beforehand that might change their mind.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

I see words like "mandatory" and "forced" on this thread and it makes me cringe.  People don't want to be required to do something when they purchase a game.  I think we are on the right track by encouraging people to do the tutorials.  There are great rewards and a jump in rank at two stages in this.  If anything, the rewards should be better advertised.  There might be more enthusiasm for the tutorial if we see Hethwill's screen shots when we log on.

Well too complete any other single player game for example you are required to finish certain stages are you not?. Forced might have been the wrong word for it. Alot of games even has tutorials that you NEED to complete before you can even start playing.

Buying a game doesn't mean you aren not required to complete certain things to able to experience the full content. It only means you can play the game.

• Like 1

From what I saw, new players aren't really interested in doing the tutorials. Every now and then you see in nation or help chat "How do I start sailing?". I always advise them to do the tutorial first, just so they get at least the minimum fighting bascis, because the following questions are usually "how do I fire my cannons?" or "Why is my ship not moving?".

When somebody passes the final exam there is usally somebody saying "Congrats, alt number XXX" ...

Edited by Batman
  • Like 2

I think the tuts should be mandatory to play the game and exam(s) mandatory to advance certain rank(s)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, springby said:

I think the tuts should be mandatory to play the game and exam(s) mandatory to advance certain rank(s)

If they are to be mandatory then the tutorials need to be expanded a lot more and include a lot more gameplay with exams at various levels and time to get real world experience in between.

Because if you forced every new player to go through the current tutorial before playing the game then most new players would give up on the game before they ever entered OW.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Archaos said:

tutorials need to be expanded a lot more and include a lot more gameplay with exams at various levels and time to get real world experience in between.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24654-combat-tutorial-feedback/

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25622-tutorial-feedback-2/

Just now, dagdriver said:

@Sir Hethwill the RedDuke AH, good point, I had forgotten about the other reward, certainly helpfull for a new player.

I spoke (too hastly?) as an old player with plenty of items in the warehouse, and plenty of ships in the docks.

No worries m8. I do it all the time.

We will be old when years after Release. :)

Remember that everything may well be temporary during EA, so keeping that good spirit open is a plus, because the experience you gained controlling the ships, winning battles and kowing how to array in a line of battle are "items" that cannot be wiped. 

Everything else is replaceable.

• Like 1

I would be interested in a statistic new players of last 4 months, players played the tutorial and players finished the final exam.

Because im still pretty sure its too hard.

What I would agree on is that you can only sail a 3rd and bigger with a final exam.

38 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

I am well aware of the tutorial feedback topics, but my response was to the comment that the tutorial should be made mandatory before you can get into the game. A mandatory tutorial in its current form would chase people away from the game.

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

I am well aware of the tutorial feedback topics, but my response was to the comment that the tutorial should be made mandatory before you can get into the game. A mandatory tutorial in its current form would chase people away from the game.

You suggestion for a OW tutorial is good and should be in those topics.

That is all. Also tea is great. Black Ceilan with Cinnamon. Soothes the spirit and opens the mind.

o7 

I must be misunderstanding something.

Suppose a player would like to just sail a small schooner to fish and trade.  Some players have very simple goals and are happy to remain at a low rank.  It would be offensive to FORCE every player to complete a tutorial or pass an exam regarding combat.

Sounds like a barrier to entry to cull casual non-combatants.

Tutorials and exams should be optional regardless of the rewards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dark lord rediii said:

...What I would agree on is that you can only sail a 3rd and bigger with a final exam.

Great way to lose more new players.  If they bought the game and they want to sail a 3rd rate, why shouldn't they be able to?  Who cares if they fight and sink due to lack of skill, isn't that their own choice?

"You must learn the way I tell you to before you can play my game" seems pretty closed-minded to me.  Also, should be stated as such before someone pays their 40 smackeroos.

• Like 2

I think upper rank promotions can be with exams, or if you dare with lots of experience instead.

I am sure they have more rage losing their big stronk ships to some AI or enemy player with smaller ship :)