Game-Labs Forum

Should the admiralty allow SOL to roam freely?

14 hours ago, Batman said:

Limiting access to ships in a game about ships won't make people happy. We had that try already in the past, certain ships like the Bellona were locked behind Conquest Marks.

Didn't turn out well, people want to sail their favourite ship and restricting access to their favourite ship will eventually lead to people leaving the game because they are not allowed to sail their favourite ship.

A problem back then was a snowball effect - nations which were doing well had VM's, which allowed them to have better ships, which allowed them to have more VM's.

Owning those ships was a lesser problem, however still there - people who were doing PvE only felt restricted by not being able to get those ships easily. I guess with the current availability of VM's, those ships would be more accessible, yet problem would still be there.

4 hours ago, admin said:

Costs of ships and ships of the line is not final. It is lower for testing. Ships of the line buffs planned and being queens of the sea they will be high maintenance.

Please just make sure there's no snowball effect for weaker nations.

One of the good ways to make SoL's more unique could be to introduce PvP ranks, and allow only X best players in a nation to sail a SoL without upkeep, while allowing them to everyone with a higher upkeep, increasing with the number of SoL's possessed. It would make smaller nations more attractive, would avoid snowball effect and in the same time would give everyone a chance to sail a SoL from time to time.

Ships should have a build time associated with them. A countdown representing how long it actually took to build the ship (and you can only have one ship building at any given time. 5th rates and down construct instantly, or within the day, 4th rates take 24 hours, 3rd rates take 48 hours, 2nd rates take 96 hours, and a 1st rate takes 168. I think they are already plenty expensive to build but it couldn't hurt to increase it a little bit. Add a crafting timer and I bet you'll see fewer ships being sunk (especially lineships) and more ships being captured. 

I am thinking about how Eve online (a very successful "hardcore" space-ship game) approaches crafting. It takes 8 weeks IRL time to build a Titan (space 1st rate?) and while I think that is too long for something in Alpha, if this game starts to pick up after launch, I think it should be considered. 

I get that people like to sail ships of the lines, I do. I love my line ships, I feel like I am my best player in them. But increase the diversity of frigates and below and I think you'll see people are more willing to forgo their Bellona every time they sail in favor of a smaller ship. People sail lineships all the time because that's what the enemy is in. Start getting more people into frigates and you won't be as effective in a SoL because they just can't keep up. I think upping or removing the speedcap in battle is a good move forward. 3rd rates are the best all around ship, they still took several months IRL to build (if not longer.) 

Edited by Galt

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Yes.  Yes...  ok...   I agree now.  We should just dumb down the game until "I" quit...  like many of the players that "I" played with.  

Got it.

At this point the devs should just build the game they want and let the tears flow.....

Yes the majority of your own old clan suggested the "hardcore" changes that were implemented at the start of the great wipe.  No grid coords, ship knowledge trees, lower rewards and removal of outpost TPs.  This was widely rejected by the community and a server that was cracking 1300 players after the wipe was barely cracking 5/600 a couple weeks later.  Your old crew lasted a month.  You are in fact the only active member left standing.    

So no, no one wants these features.  The ones that do don't actually play the game.  

People do however want cheap ships, easy access to them and PVP without having to risk millions.  The DLC ships for all their faults put more fans in the seats and has kept them there longer than any other new feature yet.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, admin said:

Costs of ships and ships of the line is not final. It is lower for testing. Ships of the line buffs planned and being queens of the sea they will be high maintenance.

Translation: We're gonna piss off more people and they'll quit the game.

May I share with you my thoughts on this idea? 

As a filthy casual player who left after the mega patch on may 2017 (or something like that), I just came back a month ago with one of my friends to give this beautiful game a second chance.

During that month, we grinded in order to be able to craft ourselves SoL. In fact, we are about to craft our firsts Santissima and L'Ocean this weekend. My point is that it took us more than a month to be able to get there, even after buying the DLC that grants more building slots... For us, casual players, SoL still are something unique that we don't want to lose! If the idea is to make SoL rare even for hardcore players who can play countless hours a day, it then means that the idea is indirectly to make it impossible for casual players to sail those ships.

And please, don't tell me I can just join a big clan, simply because I don't want to involve myself too much in the game. I don't want to have to log in at a specified time to do a PB. I mean, for me, it's a video game, not an alternate life. I respect those who play a lot, making the community of this game awesome, but for me, it's just not what I want.

Making SoL harder to get, by making them more expensive or by raising their maintenance cost, isn't what I would call a good idea for the casual players on the verge of giving up. I mean, I don't have the time and energy to grind (let say 5 hours) to be able to sail my ship once in a while.

I get the idea that the majority of you wants to reduce their numbers in OW and RVR to make the game more realistic. You're actually right! On the other hand, I don't think this game is intended to be realistic. I mean, what the f*** is Russia or Poland (and many other) nations doing in the Carribeans anyway? If you want to make the game realistic, make it realistic all the way.

If, by reading this, you are telling yourself "P*** off, you sh***! Leave the game and stop crying, we don't care!", then you're not helping the game keeping it's population high enough so that some PVP can happen. I mean, there's other options. Some good ones have been shared, like buffing upgrades, etc.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad toungue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vazco said:

Please just make sure there's no snowball effect for weaker nations.

One of the good ways to make SoL's more unique could be to introduce PvP ranks, and allow only X best players in a nation to sail a SoL without upkeep, while allowing them to everyone with a higher upkeep, increasing with the number of SoL's possessed. It would make smaller nations more attractive, would avoid snowball effect and in the same time would give everyone a chance to sail a SoL from time to time.

So what percentage of the players do you want quitting the game? Say the top 30% of PvPers get to sail SOL with little or no maintenance. Then 70% will have to pay more to sail the same ship. What percent of that 70% do you think will quit playing the game? Of course we can only guess but I imagine it will be high.

You see, you pay $40 for the game and I pay $40 for the game. I fully expect to be treated equally by the game. I don’t care how bad I suck at PvP and if you are a Jedi Master. The game needs to treat us the same. 

Now if this was a free to play game I might think differently, maybe.

• Like 1

Spending the same $40 entitles you to the same game....  spending different amount of time and effort in game to get the better gear/weapons/ships/planes/mods is a feature of MANY MANY games as well....   

Many games use reputation systems as well to reserve advanced content for players.

I'm pretty sure you dont start Escape from Tarkov with a fully tricked out M4 with a 100-round mag.

By all means grind a SoL...  but dont confuse bigger with better or "insta-win"

14 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Spending the same $40 entitles you to the same game....  spending different amount of time and effort in game to get the better gear/weapons/ships/planes/mods is a feature of MANY MANY games as well....   

Many games use reputation systems as well to reserve advanced content for players.

I'm pretty sure you dont start Escape from Tarkov with a fully tricked out M4 with a 100-round mag.

By all means grind a SoL...  but dont confuse bigger with better or "insta-win"

I am not confused at all and have no illusions about the skill needed to win. I do not have the PvP skill. I know this and I don’t care. I should not be penalized for it. Period. If their was a section of the map that you had to defeat a three headed fat lady to unlock, I know it would be harder for me but I would eventually do it. I will never however be a top PvPer and therefore making that a condition for content is wrong.

1 hour ago, Old Crusty said:

So what percentage of the players do you want quitting the game? Say the top 30% of PvPers get to sail SOL with little or no maintenance. Then 70% will have to pay more to sail the same ship. What percent of that 70% do you think will quit playing the game? Of course we can only guess but I imagine it will be high.

You see, you pay $40 for the game and I pay $40 for the game. I fully expect to be treated equally by the game. I don’t care how bad I suck at PvP and if you are a Jedi Master. The game needs to treat us the same. 

Now if this was a free to play game I might think differently, maybe.

You're right, skill is probably not the best factor. 

I hate sailing 1st rates, and love sailing my Bellona. Above both of those I think OW combat would be better if people were mostly in 4th's and 5th's. When the austerity wipe came and everyone was in indefats and Surprises was probably my most fun memory of the game, with the exception of OW release and 2500 people logging into the game and we fought in Snows and Renomees.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Rabman said:

I hate sailing 1st rates, and love sailing my Bellona. Above both of those I think OW combat would be better if people were mostly in 4th's and 5th's. When the austerity wipe came and everyone was in indefats and Surprises was probably my most fun memory of the game, with the exception of OW release and 2500 people logging into the game and we fought in Snows and Renomees.

The austerity wipe also got rid of like 75% of that "everyone".

This post made me start to question this game future like none else...

Master of Visas

World of Lotions  

Mighty Hercules vs Chinese junk ship

What is coming next?

Let's wait till next patch and all of us can sail designated ship of the month.

You have to balance this via economy. This way or another. 

This is a simulation game not a stimulation for babies to offer them the best toy, right? 

6 hours ago, Fritz Hermann said:

May I share with you my thoughts on this idea? 

As a filthy casual player who left after the mega patch on may 2017 (or something like that), I just came back a month ago with one of my friends to give this beautiful game a second chance.

During that month, we grinded in order to be able to craft ourselves SoL. In fact, we are about to craft our firsts Santissima and L'Ocean this weekend. My point is that it took us more than a month to be able to get there, even after buying the DLC that grants more building slots... For us, casual players, SoL still are something unique that we don't want to lose! If the idea is to make SoL rare even for hardcore players who can play countless hours a day, it then means that the idea is indirectly to make it impossible for casual players to sail those ships.

And please, don't tell me I can just join a big clan, simply because I don't want to involve myself too much in the game. I don't want to have to log in at a specified time to do a PB. I mean, for me, it's a video game, not an alternate life. I respect those who play a lot, making the community of this game awesome, but for me, it's just not what I want.

Making SoL harder to get, by making them more expensive or by raising their maintenance cost, isn't what I would call a good idea for the casual players on the verge of giving up. I mean, I don't have the time and energy to grind (let say 5 hours) to be able to sail my ship once in a while.

I get the idea that the majority of you wants to reduce their numbers in OW and RVR to make the game more realistic. You're actually right! On the other hand, I don't think this game is intended to be realistic. I mean, what the f*** is Russia or Poland (and many other) nations doing in the Carribeans anyway? If you want to make the game realistic, make it realistic all the way.

If, by reading this, you are telling yourself "P*** off, you sh***! Leave the game and stop crying, we don't care!", then you're not helping the game keeping it's population high enough so that some PVP can happen. I mean, there's other options. Some good ones have been shared, like buffing upgrades, etc.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad toungue.

The problem is that the 10k pbs are the same l’ocean + requins mic in the pbs making them less exciting aswell as people probably have 5 first rates on the second hand without a cost which basically makes it a no risk if you want to have a 1st rate compared to a 3rd rate

4 hours ago, Rabman said:

yep...  I'd rather have 500 players online who like a more in-depth game than 2000 players who want World of Warships Sail Edition

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

yep...  I'd rather have 500 players online who like a more in-depth game than 2000 players who want World of Warships Sail Edition

7 hours ago, PYR said:

Well how long you are gonna play this game with 500 players max? I thing we will be better with a stronger player base, with RVR round the clock for every nations and a well employed mape, and finally happier devs, creating more new boats and great game contents!

Honestly I don't think these are opposing views.  They really complement each other.  2000 players online with a whole variety of ships would be the best configuration I can see.  So it does include great game content and around the clock RVR, but also includes a whole variety of rates from Lynx on up to those super warships.  That game would be fun.

3rd, 2nd, and first rates are way-way-way to cheap.

if you compare it with eve, naval action supers are so cheap everybody can have one,

and that is something privateers or pirates could not effort in the days of sail

first rates were an admiralty effort, to begin with.

I don't think it will stay that way .....
(hope not and if it does it`s a missed chance )

at the moment they look like second-hand cars in a demolition derby.

(enjoy it, as long as it is  possible )

the same thing counts for the ranks of the  (warships) captain and the trader captain.

" give it a name and call him rear admiral just for the fun of it"

but that`not how it works,  not even in a game...

it's up to the devs to find the balance and the solution and the role it all has to play,   the rest is speculation.

Edited by Thonys