Game-Labs Forum

MG level Union Campaign J&PMod 1.21

BCH

Phillipi - Victory

Used previously effective tactics; I pushed Zook and company slightly NorthWest and then took a right turn in slightly East-NE direction heading toward the buildings on the outskirts of the village. A CSA brigade engaged and then charged Zook. I had Zook withdraw to avoid melee, and was able to enfilade fire on the CSA brigade with a skirmisher unit. Reinforcements come in during this initial engagement. By now Zook as withdrawn in a westerly direction to the Northern woods; I have a skirmisher unit continue to harass the CSA brigade from the flank and rear.

This time the CSA commander decides to defend the village with two brigades. I quick march two of my reinforcements to begin an attack on the village. One artillery battery is deployed to fire on the CSA brigade harassing Zook; additionally one of the reinforcing brigades is sent to assist Zook.  The remaining Union brigade is sent toward the wooded section west of the North Bridge.

The CSA brigade in the woods begins to waver and withdraw.. unfortunately due North, which means I will need to watch the woods. I send the artillery battery to assist with the assault on the village; that attack is being conducted by two 2 star Union brigades, 1 skirmisher unit, and the other Union artillery battery.

The CSA brigade continues to waver and withdraw in the woods; I pull the unit in the woods in the best condition and send it to help attack the North Bridge. By now I have managed to force the CSA units defending the village to withdraw. As soon as both CSA units are wavering, I send one of my arty to fire on the North bridge. The CSA unit in the woods has disappeared from sight; I pull my brigade from the woods and send it to help attack the North bridge. The CSA unit is out of the battle until after I have taken the VP, it tried a rear attack on one arty unit, but I was able deploy a skirmisher unit. One round of canister changed the CSA brigade's mind on further attacks.

Defense of Philippi is standard micromanage your batteries and avoid melee; I also try to minimize losses to those units which will start in army after this battle. End game view is below:

After action report:

Edited by BCH
revise text
  • Like 1

Distress Call - Victory

I used the tactic of defending the southern VP and let the CSA units destroy themselves trying to take it. I concentrated fire on any CSA two star brigades whenever possible to reduce their effectiveness when the push is made to retake the northern VP. This battle was a bit tougher than the one I posted in the other thread. I took the victory as soon as the VP was solidly in Union hands and did not try to milk additional damage on the CSA units. The Union comes away with reasonable causalities and all units are intact and ready for refit.

Edited by BCH

Dispatch from Manassas...

Confederate brigades under Beauregard with strong artillery support aggressively attacked the first Union brigades heading toward Matthews Hill. A determined stand by elements of I Corp slowed the Confederate attack in the woods NW of Matthews Hill and gave the rest of I Corp time to join the battle. A Union cavalry brigade attacked and destroyed the two CSA batteries supporting the attack. 

Hampton's Legion arrived and charged the lightly defended left Union flank; unfortunately for Hampton, the brigades of Wilcox, Howard, and Franklin were coming through the woods on the Union left. Hampton's Legion retreated leaving half of their men behind.

I Corp has taken Matthews Hill with minimal casualties and is reforming the line.

It appears that Sherman's brigade is about to take the Farm Ford, the CSA brigade defending it is beginning to waver.

Keyes brigade is advancing to the Stone bridge.

CSA commander Jackson has been spotted with several Virginia brigades; they have actually crossed Bull Run and are advancing for counter-attack against Matthews Hill; four Union batteries behind five relatively rested Union Brigades await them...

Edited by BCH
historical name correction

2 hours ago, BCH said:

One strange thing in Distress Call

One CSA battery advanced 'toward' the Union line and ends up basically muzzle to muzzle with the Union units; the battery did not fair too well.

Occasionally the AI may have a battery "Charge" like an infantry brigade.  Usually it ends badly for the battery.  I find it cute and amusing.

Artillery charging is something that showed up in the mod, but we decided to not worry about it. Most of the time it results in the AI timing out the charge and now being in close shell or canister range which otherwise rarely happens when the AI is on offense. Occasionally they will run right into rifle or melee range, but that has been very rare from what I've seen.

Note on Ver. 1.21:

Scaling seems different

AI CSA units seem more agressive

Artillery shot and canister damage reduction has little impact on effectiveness of batteries

Artillery speed changes require micromanagement to take advantage of terrain for movement; i.e. do not just straight line artillery to destination especially through wooded areas.

AI CSA units attempt many different maneuvers than before; requires flexibility on the player's part in regards to carrying out intended strategy for a given battle.

** I did not see any killed or wounded officers replaced as described by the ChangeLogV1.21; I still needed to replace officers when back in camp post battle.

Dispatch from Manassas...

Jackson's brigades that crossed the stream to counter-attack Matthews Hill are in retreat to Henrys Hill; Union brigades are in pursuit with Union batteries providing close cover while the Union brigades prepare to cross the stream.

Sherman's brigade routed the CSA units defending the ford with support from Ohio and NY units with artillery; Sherman is about to come on to the line.

CSA units abandoned the defense of the Stone Bridge; Keyes brigade and supporting units have quick marched over the bridge and are preparing to anchor the Union right flank. Union Cavalry units are now scouting both Union flanks in extreme forward positions and are able to spot CSA units and direction of travel.

Several CSA brigades are stubbornly holding in the small woods below Henrys Hill; however, they are receiving enfilade fire from Wilcox, Howard, and Franklin with I Corp pressing a frontal attack. Soon, all eight Union batteries will be able to focus their fire on those CSA brigades...

Routed CSA units are trying to recover and defend Henrys Hill....

33 minutes ago, BCH said:

** I did not see any killed or wounded officers replaced as described by the ChangeLogV1.21; I still needed to replace officers when back in camp post battle.

I just did a quick test and it seems to be working. Unit's names don't get updated when the officer gets replaced so you have to click on the unit to see the new officer portrait. What rank was the officer that was killed or wounded?

33 minutes ago, BCH said:

Scaling seems different

If you left the varianceMode enabled that's probably what you are seeing. Unit sizes can increase or decrease by up to 20%

Edited by pandakraut

20 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

I just did a quick test and it seems to be working. Unit's names don't get updated when the officer gets replaced so you have to click on the unit to see the new officer portrait. What rank was the officer that was killed or wounded?

I haven't noticed this either. The original commander still says WIA/KIA during the battle (not replaced by someone new) and there is no commander for the unit when I get back to camp. I have lost colonels, lt colonels, and majors and none of them seem to be replaced.

There was a step missed when the release package was created, you'll have to rename a file before you get the new changes. Details in the main mod thread. No wonder most things felt the same, you were still playing 1.2a. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by pandakraut

This in from the Richmond Daily Dispatch, Cowardin & Hammersley publishers:

Richmond residents are concerned; reports are filtering in that the Yankees have pushed Jackson and his Virginia brigades off of Henrys Hill just north of Manassas. Government officials in the know say that Jackson and Beauregard are rallying their troops for a counter attack; however telegraph messages from our correspondents indicate that Yankee brigades have crossed both  Bull Run proper and Young's Branch of Bull Run forming a strong L shaped line centered on Henry Hill.

Further reports indicate that Joseph E. Johnston has given Patterson the slip at Winchester and is coming into Manassas by train from the Shenandoah Valley; hopefully that will turn the  tide. The Yankees have stopped advancing; it is hope that their fatigue will allow Johnston's troops to push them all the way back to Washington. No news on whether Johnston has actually reached the battle as of this writing.

Restarted the Campaign in order to fully explore the actual mod version 1.21

Just finished Philippi..  Wow, just wow; split brigades both sides right off the bat; my planned starting strategy required modification almost immediately; almost constant tweaking of the Union line, etc.

It was a win, but not a sure thing even when the Union reinforcements first came on the line..

0107 hrs here. After action report tomorrow. This is a great update, nice work.

(and as per usual, I had an another unusual unit action,  out of one of my split skirmisher units this time, details tomorrow)

Edited by BCH
revise text
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 3:21 PM, BCH said:

This in from the Richmond Daily Dispatch, Cowardin & Hammersley publishers:

On 7/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, BCH said:

I am going to finish up this narrative, but end with the Bull Run battle.. dispatches from the field will continue with the Campaign being played with the actual 1.21 mod

just in from a reporter with the Washinton Star, W.D.Wallach owner;

Civilians and government officials from Washington who went out to watch the battle are nervously packing up their carriages and are heading back to the city; this brutal affair will not be over in 90 days.

The extreme right flank of the Union line is wavering under attack from rallied Virginia Brigades under the command of Jackson; two Union I Corp brigades  are maneuvering to support the right flank brigade being pressed by the Virginians. The Union cavalry unit covering the right wing has spotted Johnston's brigades moving through a wooded area adjacent to what is known locally as Bald Hill. The Union cavalry unit is forming to demonstrate against the CSA brigades threatening the right flank.

The Confederate left, paused their attack upon spotting the Union Cavalry to their rear; it was a feint, the cavalry has moved off to the far right wing position in order to spot more of Johnston's brigades. Four Union batteries have opened up on the flank of the nearest  CSA brigade threatening the Union right. I Corp has stepped forward and fired a volley into those brigades as well. The CSA left flank has been completely disrupted.. the Union right holds.

The remaining four Union Batteries are now on the line bringing the Union total to eight, stretching from Henry Hill through the wooded area south of Bull Run almost to Flat Run. All eight batteries are now firing into what remains of Beauregard and Jackson's brigades, most are fleeing back through Johnston advancing brigades doubtlessly slowing their advance.

All Union units are firing along the L shaped line, Johnston's brigades are hard pressed to form their own line. No matter how the CSA brigades maneuver, they are usually enfiladed by the Union brigades and gun batteries.

The Union will surely hold Henry Hill, but they are in no condition to pursue retreating Conderates.

image.thumb.jpeg.59c4c6bddc16d6109c14681483beb117.jpeg

Edited by BCH
added jpeg
  • Like 1

Philippi 1.21 v - Union Victory

After action report

The Union's initial strategy was to march slightly NW through clearings and brush to avoid the wooded hill in front of them. Zooks Brigade and accompanying skirmishers were attacked almost immediately by a CSA brigade at the southern edge of the cliff face.  Two Union skirmishers flanked the left of the CSA brigade while Zook and another skirmisher blocked further advancement . Another CSA brigade moved up below the cliff face in an attempt to flank Zooks right; fortunately the skirmishers holding with Zook managed to flank that brigade and rout it. Leaving one skirmisher unit in the woods above the cliff face to screen the right flank, Zook and the other two units proceeded to the NW through the clearing with the aim to right march when they reached the open fields.

Civilians from Philippi are believed to have taken shelter in their basements and out buildings, with rumors that many evacuated the town proper when CSA units first deployed. Many in this region are not enamored of their Tide-Water cousins succession actions and subsequent war.

Union reinforcements begin to arrive, and are deployed to both the north bridge and east the village. Union guns had split into half batteries allowing the Union to cover a wider area with their guns. Two brigades with skirmishers are concentrating fire on the CSA brigade guarding the north bridge. In coming batteries are assigned to the village and north bridge attacks as the arrive on the line. As soon as the CSA village units begin to waver, one Union battery is sent to support the north bridge attack.

The CSA unit routs from the north bridge, all Union units including the Union commander are rushed across that bridge into Philippi itself. In the village, Union units prevent CSA units east of Philippi from getting back into Philippi.

Scales Brigade charges the CSA battery in Philippi and silences the gun; one counter-attack is driven off and Philippi is in Union hands.

Now to defend it..

The Confederates attack the left flank and push a skirmisher unit back across the north bridge; Zook and a battery commence firing into the Confederate brigade's rear. Scales moves left to keep Zook and the battery from being flanked; this weakens the middle of the Union line and Loomis is required to move left to cover the gap. This leaves Walton's brigade and a skirmisher unit on the right flank backed by two batteries. Six Confederate brigades are massing to attack the right flank. The remaining Union reinforcements have come on the field, but it will be close. Zooks brigade charges into the rear of the CSA brigade on the far left to break them and allow Scales and Loomis to move back to the right along the line.

Zook and the skirmishers are about to receive a Confederate charge; another Union battery reaches town to support the right flank, with Colquitt's Elite brigade about to take position on the far right flank. The skirmisher unit that it was to replace instead of withdrawing, fixes bayonets and charges the large Confederate brigade .. ( I had hit the withdraw key, not only could I not stop my unit or get them to follow any order, they survived, and the CSA brigade of about 1800 routed. I had specifically taken care to hit withdraw, because it was obvious that the Union was greatly outnumbered at this point and I needed all the troops I could muster). 

The last of the Union reinforcements were quick marched into Philippi to fill the gaps in the line, with the additional Union batteries place to cover the entire Union front. Two more Confederate charges resulted in hand to hand combat; but both were repulsed. The armored Confederate train batteries were quickly silence with concentrated fire from the Union batteries. With any luck Union engineers will be able to salvage the train engine, as it was deserted at Philippi.

Remaining Confederate attacks were repulsed with minimal Union casualties.

Disposition of the Union defenses toward the end of the battle:

Note the split brigades indicated by a number at the end:

Edited by BCH

Confederates attempt raid on Union Supply depots..

Union garrison units pulled back from the northern depot when faced with overwhelming odds with elements of I Corp  set up a defensive line west of and in front of the southern depot. Garrison skirmishers and mounted infantry were sent to recon the east flank. The Union mounted infantry took a position on the high bank of the river to watch for targets of opportunity, looking specifically for CSA command staff.

CSA brigades commenced with a two pronged attack on both Union flanks; fortunately Union batteries managed to get on the line before the CSA brigades could take advantage of their numbers. Additional brigades from I Corp arrived with the batteries which allowed the Union to extend the line. The CSA brigades from the initial attack were caught in open terrain and took considerable losses from canister and shell.

The Union mounted infantry spotted quite a few CSA brigades coming in from the the northeast. A CSA battery trailing the brigades seem like a good target, but then the mounted infantry spotted supply wagons and command staff, a much better target. The supply wagons were captured immediately and move to a location safe from recapture. Skirmishers were sent to assist the mounted infantry and further screen the the northeast sector.

The remaining Union skirmishers would come out of cover to deliver a volley into the flanks of the closest CSA unit and then return to cover.

Back on the Union line, Confederate attacks were repulsed up and down the line. An attack on the Union right caused a brigade to waver, but one of the garrison brigades manage volley on the CSA brigades left flank rear and broke the attack.

Confederate command staff almost got out of the ambush because the Union mounted infantry were almost exhausted; CSA command ran straight into the skirmisher unit sent to screen the northeast.

Once CSA attacks stopped against the southern depot; the Union line slowly advanced with their batteries to retake the northern depot. Union skirmishers were redeployed to the rear of the northern depot; from wooded cover the Union skirmishers were able to disrupt CSA brigades held in reserve.

The final taking of the northern required hand to hand fighting against wavering CSA brigades; the honor of actually taking the depot went to the brigade originally garrisoned there.