Game-Labs Forum

My Union Campaign MG level - non-bug version

BCH

The advice on these boards is outstanding; I have employed most of the game tips given here to move forward with the Union MG campaign.

Phillipi -

I used what seems to be the  standard strategy of forcing the northern most bridge and securing the objective in Phase I; the only deviation (in that I have not found anyone writing about it) is that instead of taking Zook and the two skirmisher units through the wooded areas, I quick marched them north to the Union reinforcement entry point and then a sharp right turn toward the open area slightly north west of the village. This allowed me to engage the CSA brigades, etc. in the open. It had the added advantage in that it drew the CSA units out of the village area about the time the Phase I Union reinforcements arrive for support. The CSA never hold the small village; the rest of Phase I is to simply rout the CSA defenders at the North bridge and then rush across.

Phase II - normal tactics.. just hold Phillipi

• Like 2

Distress Call

This scenario has plagued me on MG level - best I could do was a draw until I tried the following strategy:

At the start, I pulled the brigade out of the Northern VP and sent it to the Southern VP.  Both depot skirmishers were sent to the wooded area east of the Southern VP. The mounted infantry unit was sent to the wooded area in the east next to the steep river bank.

The 3 I Corp brigades were pulled back to defend the Southern VP and located west of that VP (two in the woods), now it is a waiting game.

The Mounted Inf spots most CSA units coming in from the East Side without being spotted, if spotted it was simply move them south along the steep bank, and return.

The depot skirmisher units will be used to flank CSA arty if feasible, or to distract CSA brigades advancing toward the Southern VP.

CSA takes the North VP and 'slowly' begins probing toward the south

Union reinforcements arrive 1- 500 man skirmisher unit with re-bored muskets, 3 brigades and two batterys. 1 Brigade is positioned on the right flank in front of the fortifications, the other two brigades take of positions in the woods on the  left flank. The skirmisher unit takes the far left flank in the woods on the high ground. 1 battery is position to the immediate left of the fortifications, the  other battery is to its left in the woods.

CSA now begins to attack in earnest.

Micromanagement is now needed, arty focus fires on CSA unit closest to the Union line, with Union Brigades also focus firing on nearest unit if possible. 500 man skirmisher units moves slightly NorthWest to enfilade CSA brigades on far left flank. Short withdrawals are used to prevent CSA brigades from engaging in melee.

The two depot skirmishers hanging out on the far right move out of cover and engage CSA arty for one volley and then move back to cover; most of the time arty moves to fire and that relieves the arty fire on the Union line, (eventually the AI gets wise and moves a CSA brigade to interposed between their arty and my skirmishers, that ties up a CSA brigade for the remainder of the attack on the Union line).

Meanwhile...

The Union Mounted Inf. unit is moving back into position for the third time, after being spotted twice but no pursuit, and discovers CSA commander Johnston with supply. It is charge the CSA commander and effectively take them out of the battle while capturing the supply wagon. I eventually send one of my depot skirmisher units to help finish of the CSA commander unit in the NorthEast corner.

Back at the line.. CSA has made attack after attack, some of them two pronged with little to show for it. Micromanagement amounted to refocusing fire after a CSA unit pulled back or completely routed. Two star CSA units if unbroken and in range were the target of choice unless another CSA unit was really close. Timer for finish button runs out, but...

This battle will continue until the clock reaches 1800, there is a lot of time to retake the Northern VP

Union line is in a broad C shape, with the two batterys mostly in the middle.The CSA commander has left the field of battle and the skirmisher unit and mounted inf. are relatively intact, they move through the woods and take a position in the woods north of the Northern VP, the other skirmisher unit is sent to join them. Those three units create a distraction in the north and pull CSA units away from the fortification.

The Union line moves 'slowly' forward, focusing on vulnerable units that can be quickly destroyed or CSA units at full strength in close proximity. Eventually all CSA units rout out  of the Northern VP. The two highest morale and condition Union Brigades take the VP. Weak attacks on the flanks by CSA units are driven off by the Union Batteries which are close enough to fire canister shot.

At this point there is no chance the CSA will retake the VP, and I simple let the timer run completely out in order maximize experience.

Simple loss figures Infantry and guns only:

Started 7,800 Union Inf. vs 9,510 CSA Inf.

Losses:

-1,184 inf. vs - 4,180 inf

-2 guns vs. -27 guns

I consider Distress Call a must win battle at MG level, the Career point is vital.

• Like 1

1st Bull Run - costly victory

This started well enough but I could not budge the 3 star CSA Brigade holding the ford even with 4 artillery batteries pounding on them; this greatly delays getting Sherman (routed twice trying to cross the ford) and company to the battle for the initial attack and then defense of Henry's Hill.

Matthew's Hill goes as planned, standard attack (waited till reinforcements came in line). Union line and batteries steadily push the CSA off of Matthew's Hill.  Then Hampton's Legion charges my left flank as I secure the VP on Matthew's Hill. I manage to isolate them and surround them with a brigade and 3 skirmisher units. The main Union line and guns begin sweeping down Matthew's Hill steadily pushing the CSA back.

Hampton's Legion is flashing white, and I expect a surrender; nope, they rout right through my brigade and are now in the Union rear.. retreating to be sure, but still at 800 strong. This means I need to deal with them or get an unpleasant surprise during the fight for Henry's Hill. I pulled one skirmisher unit from that firefight and sent them toward the ford to flank the three star CSA unit still holding up Sherman et al.

The Union line has reached the creek, but condition is low; most of the CSA units on Matthew's Hill are still retreating. I decide to rest my units before starting up Henry's Hill; AI/CSA decides to counter attack my right flank, fortunately two artillery batteries are close enough to use canister and shell on the CSA units, they pull back. Downside... what were relatively fresh units on the right flank are now as exhausted as are the units did most of the fighting for Matthew's Hill.

Meanwhile, back with the firefight with the Legion, I have reduced them to 400. I pull the two skirmisher units and the horse artillery and send them toward Henry's Hill. I leave my brigade of 800 to continue the firefight and keep the Legion out of the main battle.

Sherman and company finally get across the ford, and for some reason the CSA totally abandoned the Stone Bridge which allowed me to bring those initial units into the main battle (very much intact, which eventually saves the day on the left flank). Sherman et al are basically exhausted and obviously will not arrive in what would be an ideal time for holding Henry's Hill.

Of the main Union line only two brigades are in good enough shape to assault Henry's Hill; I do have 5 artillery batteries aligned in an L shape which are in range to shell the CSA units. I manage to push the CSA defenders out of the farm complex, and start bringing other brigades to the hill top as their condition improves to at least 25%. I move the 5 artillery batteries to the top of the hill and eventually most of the Union line which ends up in a L shaped defense. Now it becomes a back and forth battle winning and losing the VP several times. I manage to move every battery into close support of the VP. Skirmisher units are used to plug holes in the line, re-take objectives, and go to the support of flanks. Messy victory, actually thought I was going to lose it up until the last few minutes.

Starting infantry:

Union 14,021 vs CSA 20,008

Losses:

Union -8,455 inf. - 20 guns vs CSA -14,771 inf - 28 guns.

• Like 1

River Crossing - Victory

Sent the entire Union force due South, then due west, then due north to take the Cross Roads Hill. The Union line ends up in an inverted V with the three artillery batteries in the middle. Repulse all attacks, and wait till the time to run out. For some reason the AI does not pull defenses from the other VP.

Started:

Union Inf. 6,000 vs CSA Inf. 10,176

Losses:

Union Inf. -704 vs CSA Inf. 3,094

I might have been able to take the other VP, but a win with minimal losses trumps a win with greater losses.

• Like 1

Logan's Cross Roads - Victory

Form a line with the three Union brigades east of the VP at about half range for the brigades. Position the battery behind the middle brigade. I did short withdrawals to avoid melee.

When the reinforcements arrived, I sent the skirmishers (500 troops armed with re-bored muskets) to the flanks and stationed them in the woods. The reinforcing brigades were quick marched to extend the line both right and left. Two additional artillery batteries were positioned to the right and left of the initial battery.

Micromanagement again, focus fire by artillery on the greatest or closest threat. Curl the flanks up or back to deal with the attacks. Use the skirmisher units in the woods to provide enfilade fire.

Started:

Union inf. 7,000 vs CSA inf. 12,774

Losses:

Union ind -2,391 vs CSA inf. -7,912

• Like 1

Before Shiloh

I believe I am in good shape for the battle.

Career points:

Politics 4
Economy 1
Medicine 2
Training 1
Organization 4
Logistics 2
Recon 2

I can field two Corp, 3 divisions per Corp, 5 brigades  per division

Available funds = $129,234 Recruits = 28737

I Corp has three 2 star brigades armed with level 9 damage weapons and one 2 star artillery brigades. These are divided between Divisions 1 and 2 with all other units in those divisions being one star.

II Corp has not been assigned units yet.

I will give the first go around a try with maximum brigade size of 1,000 and approximately 500 for skirmishers. I believe I will have the resources to field 30 brigades for Shiloh.

The game certainly plays differently at the MG level, 'tip of the tam' to those of you playing on Legendary.

17 hours ago, BCH said:

I believe I will have the resources to field 30 brigades for Shiloh.

Well.. as Brother Burns wrote "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley"

Weapons are cost prohibitive not even close to filling out the II Corp.

Ance mair intae the breach..

Might have to go back and replay 1st Bull Run to try and reduce casualties.

Edited by BCH
revise text

28 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Have you been spending rep on weapons? It's much more cost effective in the mod than it is in the base game. Hope you continue with the write ups!

Yes, out of options of the firearms for rep at the moment.

Losing over 50% at the first Bull Run was too much.. classic pyrrhic victory

First attempt at Shiloh was a complete disaster, although I leave the field with most of my army intact. Down to 10 reputation, is going to make it tough for the next several battles.

It was 16,000 vs 50,000 for Shiloh, my losses almost 4,000 CSA losses about 4,200.

Need to think about Shiloh for a bit, I need to slow up or scatter those 3,000 troop plus CSA brigades before they reach the landing. My first division of I Corp held their own against triple waves, but the reinforcements that came in for the Hornet's nest are too green to hold the Landing VP even in the woods next to it.

I will continue with the write ups...

• Like 1

2nd attempt at Shiloh - loss  (did not replay Bull Run, so II Corp is still undermanned)

I Corp manages to hold Shiloh Church in the first Phase, with minor casualties. My strategy is to hold up and otherwise delay the CSA advance to the Landing.

The ragtag units that make up II Corp (1 and 4/5 divisions) somehow manage to hold onto Larkin Bell Field in Phase II; I resolve to sacrifice these units if necessary to delay the CSA advance.  I somehow mange to lose a small Mounted Inf. unit in the woods that was marked as hidden, when a CSA cavalry unit miraculously makes a bee line toward them.

Retreat to the Hornet's Nest.. well, no units are capable of doing that without getting slaughtered in open ground. I have I Corp at Shiloh Church hold their ground, as well as II Corp remnants that are defending Larkin Bell Field. The cost of the victory at Bull Run is now clear, I only have 2 skirmisher units and one 4 gun battery of Horse Artillery coming in to do a delaying action at the Hornet's Nest . As Phase III draws to  a close, the three brigades from Buell arrive north of the Hornet's Nest, just as it is over run. I hold them in the woods where they arrived.

Phase IV, Defense of the Landing.

I try to quick march the three brigades of Buell back to the VP area of the landing (they are all 100% condition); only to have them quick march for a ways and then stop.. not sure what that is about. I had to micromanage all three brigades back into position at the landing. CSA cav of 197 troopers attacks the three brigades at the landing, and ride away with 147 troopers after all three brigades volley into the cavalry.  That has to be a mechanics bug, the cavalry unit was just short of melee range for all three Union brigades. Another 889 trooper CSA Cav unit sits in the NE corner, which means although they are never in range of any Union brigade, the Union Brigades keep flashing 'flanked'.

I noted that I lost a gunboat.. probably from unspotted CSA artillery; the remaining gunboat keeps firing at the CSA cav unit, and switches back to them no matter how many times it is directed to fire at a CSA brigade.

I Corp is pushed back from Shiloh Church.

II Corp is shattered north of Larkin Bell Field, one Brigade and two skirmisher units retreat west. CSA units neglect to take the Larkin Bell Field VP. When the II Corp Brigade and Skirmisher units recover, I send them to attack the rear of the CSA line threatening I Corp. This action effectively saves I Corp from annihilation.

One of Buell's brigades surrenders; the other two brigades can not retake the victory point before time runs out.

After action report:

Started:

16,219 Union Inf. vs. 50,629 CSA Inf.
0 Union Cav vs.  1,824 CSA cav. ( I note that mounted inf. is counted in the inf. total)
62(1550) Union guns vs ?(4052) CSA guns

Losses:

-5,472 Union Inf. vs -9,824 CSA Inf.
-29(808) Union guns vs -6(126) CSA guns
0 Union cav. vs -795 CSA cav.
1,843 missing vs 316 missing

I Corp
Ist Div - intact
2nd Div - Lost 1 battery Horse Artillery; 1 skirmisher unit
3rd Div - Lost 2 brigades (green); 1 battery, 1 skirmisher unit

II Corp

1st Div - lost 2 battery Horse Artillery
2nd Div - destroyed
3rd Div - not deployed, lack of resources

• Like 1

Is the 16k men you are listing as your total force including allied units? Or just the size of the units you are deploying? If that's including allies you're probably about half the size you need to be to reasonably win the battle.

I definitely think you want to try and retreat further back. I skip the hornets nest entirely and hold the treeline behind it until the landing opens up. With your skirmishers you should be able to delay around larkin field for long enough for the rest of your units to get north of the hornets nest. I usually start that as soon as it opens up so they get out in time. The more time you can force the AI to spend walking the better off you'll be. Also, the closer to the landing they get the more likely it is that their slower artillery batteries and supply wagons can be picked off by cavalry.

You can make a very compact line around the landing. The AI will bunch up and you can make good use of skirmishers on their flanks. I also tried to keep most of my musket armed troops in reserve until the landing phase. This allows them to be used as a counter charge force at the landing.

16 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Is the 16k men you are listing as your total force including allied units?

It includes the allied units; I know that is way under staffed for this battle.

I really need to do the 1st Bull Run over, and reduce my losses there; as I said earlier, it was an expensive win.

Just tried Secure River Crossing after loss at Shiloh.. found a bug

I won the first attempt, but lost a 2 star brigade due to foolishness (this was the post Shiloh army). I decided to replay the battle.

I loaded my in camp save prior to Secure River Crossing and ended up with my pre-Shiloh army. I still have the morale penalty from losing Shiloh and this time the AI scales appropriately larger to meet my much larger army.

I won easily..

Not sure what triggered the bug

3 hours ago, BCH said:

gunboat keeps firing at the CSA cav unit, and switches back to them no matter how many times it is directed to fire at a CSA brigade. 

Just realized during the Secure River battle that you can click on a gunboat all you want but you can not direct its fire..

17 hours ago, BCH said:

I loaded my in camp save prior to Secure River Crossing and ended up with my pre-Shiloh army. I still have the morale penalty from losing Shiloh and this time the AI scales appropriately larger to meet my much larger army.

If you reload the same camp save do you get the same result?