Game-Labs Forum

More Clan Control - Reducing Alt Problems

So, lets take the example of Cartagena. There are 3 possibilities for me:

• open up the port
    • pro: low RvR tension, income without work
    • con: only 10% revenue, supplying everyone with a strong upgrade
  • close the port, sell refits on market
    • pro: way more income through open market
    • con: time investment of hauling/selling, unfair prices might increase RvR tension
  • close the port, keep all Refits for me (or HRE/Sweden)
    • pro: huge RvR advantage
    • con: no income, extreme RvR tension

Sounds like great choices in a sandbox game for me. All options have their pros and cons with different focuses in money, trading or RvR.

Edited by Havelock
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Havelock said:

So, lets take the example of Cartagena. There are 3 possibilities for me:

• open up the port
    • pro: low RvR tension, income without work
    • con: only 10% revenue, supplying everyone with a strong upgrade
  • close the port, sell refits on market
    • pro: way more income through open market
    • con: time investment of hauling/selling, unfair prices might increase RvR tension
  • close the port, keep all Refits for me (or HRE/Sweden)
    • pro: huge RvR advantage
    • con: no income, extreme RvR tension

Sounds like great choices in a sandbox game for me. All options have their pros and cons with different focuses in money, trading or RvR.

and the more you close the port away from friends or outside sources or alts... you perfectly state it -- the more other clans, nations, or whoever looks at the port and says "We need it, and that clan is not allowing us to have it, therefore they need to lose the port.

lets even take different examples.

Copper, Spanish rig,  Pirate Rig, Teak, Live Oak, White Oak. Come to me with a straight face that you don't have alts for your clan or nation to get these resources.

Prussia and France have had a hold on Copper for "ages" and I know for a fact each nation has alts to bid contracts on Copper and French Rig resources.

Spanish/Pirate Rig ports are owned by spain and pirates. I know for a fact people have alts in Spain and Pirate to get these resources

France (US tz Fr) has a tight grip on Live Oak ports and I would have to laugh at anyone who doesn't think France is riddled with alts to get these resources for other groups

This is just naming a few more, but suddenly we make it difficult for alts to get resources and the map will blow up again with groups vying for control.

as @Banished Privateer said, and believe me I don't agree with him often, Why try and take ports anymore when we have clans with alts who can just get the resources for us and not cause conflict. We even have groups that are so deep into alt management that any loss or gain from a nation doesn't affect the "main" group anymore. Conquest is now entirely useless as a way to restrict resources from an enemy because the enemy doesn't lose any restrictions.

@Havelock says it better than my rambling, 3 great choices that provide 3 consequences that can create conflict or foster good relations.

• Like 3

If you're against this idea you probably have a bunch of alts and are scared at the sudden realization that you might be rendered useless.

Or your a hardcore die by the nation player, which is noble, but impractical for a game that has already taken steps towards a clan based model.

• Like 1

While I hope the OP suggestion happens, I doubt the devs are going to code anything soon. 

BUT, they did float the idea that the magic wallet might disappear with econ changes. It will shake up the current system if every Cartagena Tar or refit has to sail out of port rather than magically get teleported to safely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Indirectly, if the owner closes to friends only or clan only, it becomes a "clan tax" which is fair and on point to other "clan tax" mechanics that have been asked for.

Anything that difficults the usage of alts is good.

Why shouldn't they be able to get the reward for there hard work. I see folks bitching about ports dropped or lost, but never once seen those players out doing hostility or in the PB's or fighting.  Why are they getting the rewards off our hard work just cause they make tons of trade runs and are filthy rich.  Let my clan set the price and they buy off us instead of the port so we get more than just the tax.   I'm all for the OP with a little tweek I'll mention below.

18 minutes ago, Farrago said:

While I hope the OP suggestion happens, I doubt the devs are going to code anything soon. 

BUT, they did float the idea that the magic wallet might disappear with econ changes. It will shake up the current system if every Cartagena Tar or refit has to sail out of port rather than magically get teleported to safely. 

It's been suggested before and Devs mention they like the concept it just will have to be coded though...which is where we need to push for it.

22 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

Dear Developers,

The issue of alternate accounts is getting a bit absurd, but I think there is a relatively easy solution to some of the problems they create. Now that alt accounts can very easily switch nations once a month, we are seeing more and more alts joining nations to bid on valuable items. This has been happening for a long time, but now accounts can easily be switched to whichever nation controls something important, and the actual owners of the ports can do nothing to stop the invasion.

I believe this can mostly be solved by giving clans a bit more control of their ports. Allow clans to set who is able to place buy/sell contracts in their ports.

The options could be something like this:

1. Available for all - Any player, regardless of clan, is allowed to place a buy/sell contract in the port (must still be in the same nation).

2. Allies Only - Only members of clans on the friendly list are allowed to place buy/sell contracts in the port.

3. Clan Only - Only members of the clan that controls the port are allowed to place buy/sell contracts.

Any adjustment of a ports settings would only take affect at server reset, similar to the other port controls we have now. 

By blocking alts access to compete for resources and other items, this could give conquest a bit of a kick start. Now a nation would need to either arrange a trade agreement with another nation/clan, or go out and take it for themselves. The mechanic i'm proposing wouldn't stop a smuggler from sailing into a port, and buying whatever items/resources that are available. 

Thoughts? Opinions? 

I suggested this before too and it was a little diffrent. 

1.  Open to All - you set the port open to all and every one of any nation can put  contracts down.

2.  Open to Nation - It's like normal locked to only players that are of your nation.

3.  Open to only friendly clans - Have a list like the PB one but only for trade clans.  This would prob need to be for each port not, but they could make it a simple Friendly Trade Clan list.  I would say make it so each port has it's own list.  That way if you want to be the only clan to have resources from that port (contracts) than you add no friendly clans on that port.  While you might have another port you only want to add the clans that busted there butts to get the hostility and port battle done as a team. 

So yah pretty much the same thing you posted just a bit more details on the last option.

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

If you're against this idea you probably have a bunch of alts and are scared at the sudden realization that you might be rendered useless.

Or your a hardcore die by the nation player, which is noble, but impractical for a game that has already taken steps towards a clan based model.

...or you are a small PvP-only (no interest in RvR) clan with no access to resources outside of AI traders and drops.

I don't do missions outside of unlocking knowledge slots so its a struggle as it is to get money without spending hours trading (which I'm also not interested in doing). Sure I could sell my PvP marks but I would like to get a few books first.

N.B. I get what mats I need for crafting elite mods and have a small stock of normal mods for myself and clanmates, thats about it. The issue seems to be here clans not getting special mats from the ports they own and the alts that have millions setting up massive trade empires and dominating the mods market. Reserving a percentage of daily mats for the clan for normal AI price would address this gripe, seen as they own the port in the first place!

Is it possible to create a warehouse in each port that only the clan can access? That would give clans something to do organising fleets to get the mats out, etc.

We could also implement the long awaited raid mechanic to go raid said port. ^^

Edited by Johnny Rotten

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Why shouldn't they be able to get the reward for there hard work.

They should. You did misinterpret me and I did actually suggest some benefits to conquest a while ago :) 

I did not say a word about good or bad, just stated that the possibility to define whatever the clan does with the port may result in a nice "member tax" to the clan.

Plain, not pro nor against, deduction.

o7

5 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

They should. You did misinterpret me and I did actually suggest some benefits to conquest a while ago :) 

I did not say a word about good or bad, just stated that the possibility to define whatever the clan does with the port may result in a nice "member tax" to the clan.

Plain, not pro nor against, deduction.

o7

That was me more agreeing with you...lol  

I would also love a clan tax to help pay for things where every one in clan pays a small percentage of any rewards they get from missions, AI and such.  It goes directly into the clan warehouse to help support things.  I found that you have a lot of times same folks over and over doing all the hard work even inside clans.  I mean you can boot them but it would be nice to just charge a flat % fee to help support the clan too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...