Game-Labs Forum

I can see both sides of this, if you change a nation I don't think there should be a list, but some one that is trolling in a nation changing there name every month is and can be abusive of the game.

I personally don't want ya'll to know when I roll a char Pirate which I plan to before release, but if I was just changing my name in US to avoid folks I think it should be shown, specially if that person has a history of chat bans and such.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Past names should be shown. No one should be able to hide from their past accomplishes and/or mistakes. Cant in real life and should not be able to in a game.

I suggest you look into post ww2 german arrivals in south america,   many  fleeing people from the war set up new identities in south america with the aid of the red cross and the catholic church.  To say you could not change your identity in real life (especially in 1700-1800's) is wrong.

Can't see the harm in it myself,  after all is all magic beans.

• Like 1

Past names should not be shown.

Historically it makes no sense and the fact we call it forged papers should be enough.

Take WoW for example, it does not show history for name, character and realm changes. 

13 hours ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Past names should be shown. No one should be able to hide from their past accomplishes and/or mistakes. Cant in real life and should not be able to in a game. It also has been somewhat abused and used for negative means that has not helped the progress of the community and the game itself. 

Plenty of people have walked away from their lives/identities lets not act like the past truly follows people.  This is a video game and people have the right to disassociate, you don't have any right to another person. 

We know who's abusing it, their names frequent these forums quite often. 

Edited by koiz

It was clear that sooner or later would use the namechange in an offensive way to insult other players [redacted] These guys know what they are doing by changing their name, and they should live with the consequences of a visible name change history.

• Like 3

Abusive players should be reported. That's admin job to deal with them.

You pay a forger to hide your past. (Now a paid for DLC.) Its a great part of the game, you can make a fresh start. (You can even escape weird abusive players).

It would be refund time if it changed after its been sold.

Edited by Flash Jack

Just now, Flash Jack said:

It would be refund time if it changed after its been sold.

While I agree with the "hiding your past" especially during the Age of Sail motif I must point out that law covering what you say there is not how you say it. Inherent gameplay characteristics and explicit features are the baseline, and there's no change to gameplay nor anywhere does it state to us that old aliases would be erased.

Stick to the point :)

In truth Reputation is all, some change name for roleplay purposes, others just to troll but others yet simply to move away from being abused in the game by others.

Master Forger does an amazing job finding the correct seals, the correct names and all the necessary items. It is up to the captain if he wants to talk about his past life or not.

This being said I do firmly agree that impersonating should be dealt with severe measures - forced name change to something fitting - especially in a small gaming community.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Master Forger does an amazing job finding the correct seals, the correct names and all the necessary items. It is up to the captain if he wants to talk about his past life or not.

Then you agree with me its up to the captain......not the devs or the game. Excellent.

😊

13 minutes ago, Flash Jack said:

Then you agree with me its up to the captain......not the devs or the game. Excellent.

😊

Recently came across a fairly "similar" real life counterpart of a english buccaneer that changed his name several times while working for dutch, french and finally settled with the spanish. He was traced back due to having attacked a english merchantman after a peace was signed( he didn't know it and was at sea ) and he was handled as prisoner by the spanish back to english hands to undergo trial.

• Like 1

To be fair most people who change their names let others know through either their own stupidity or because they don't care.

If abuse happens, tribunal it. Don't see the point of not letting people hide behind a new identity. The DLC is there so that people can change their name without creating a new character, if the same person can create a new character they shouldn't have their name revealed.

17 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

If abuse happens, tribunal it. Don't see the point of not letting people hide behind a new identity. The DLC is there so that people can change their name without creating a new character, if the same person can create a new character they shouldn't have their name revealed.

Absolutely +1!!! I want the freedom to name myself sruPL, Lord Vicious, HachiDoku or whatever. This small little social bubble - sometimes I feel like a teenager in here. Hey A did that, B betrayed C, have you heard D made out with E on friday.

At this point regards to the split part of my personality "Palatimose" o/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Absolutely +1!!! I want the freedom to name myself sruPL, Lord Vicious, HachiDoku or whatever. This small little social bubble - sometimes I feel like a teenager in here. Hey A did that, B betrayed C, have you heard D made out with E on friday.

At this point regards to the split part of my personality "Palatimose" o/

I'm re-naming myself palatinosey and getting involved in everybody's business!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Farrago said:

New DLC idea: paying blackmail to the Forger to keep your past a secret. Lol

Nice try Andrew Wilson, who let him in here?!

Edited by Galt

10 hours ago, BallsOfSteel said:

An arsehole is easy to spot, whatever their name

And theres the truth! In WoW you could always work out where someone went even after the most drastic changes.

In this case we know who's doing it, its not rocket science and it doesn't take much to link the vocal ones to their mains/clans. If you know what clan they are in the buck stops with their leader its as simple as that.