Game-Labs Forum

I’m afraid the ship has sailed on nerfing the DLC ships. (Can the Devs even do it if they wanted?)

But, if they could...

They already have some inherent advantages.

1. You basically get a free one each day.

2. With some creativity you can own 4 (or is it 5?) at a time.

3. Any wood choice costs the same.

4. Nothing can touch the Requin sailing upwind. Its got an incredible number of crew for its rate. It sports far heavier guns than its peers. Its sails seem to dodge chain on their own.

5. The Hercules can have amazing broadside weight and turns on a dime.

So my proposal. Make these DLCs only have 1 permanent upgrade slot (you still can have your Pirate Rig) and only 3 Knowledge slots.

I believe these changes would still make it worth buying but not skew the balance too much.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:35 PM, Slim McSauce said:

It's horrible that some people want to bypass eco.

Hmm... I would like to talk about this without using my habitual polarizing low-brow rhetoric. Seriously, I don't want to pick a fight.

I came here for the fighting with ships against other human beings. Why is it horrible that I wish to do what I think is fun and avoid what I find boring?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodgi said:

Hmm... I would like to talk about this without using my habitual polarizing low-brow rhetoric. Seriously, I don't want to pick a fight.

I came here for the fighting with ships against other human beings. Why is it horrible that I wish to do what I think is fun and avoid what I find boring?

It's not, Its horrible that the economy is so bad that you'd rather not be involved. Economy should be seamless and interesting, and engaging. What I should've said is it's a shame that people aren't interested in doing it because it's such an essential part of the OW.

• Like 3

If they keep DLC ships specialized and small then the eco wont be effected.

Crafting is easy and buying good ships is also easy. A few AI missions and you can afford basic ships from the market.

DLC will bring more casual players in and that's a win win.

• Like 1

I was in a  Herc and I've just had my first instance of chain, ram, chain, repair, retag.

It was fun (not)

Because the guys failed to board me by ramming me the moment the battle started he decided to just chain me down so I did a repair and then proceeded to keep retagging in OW hoping I'd run out of repairs so he could ram and board me.

Something should be done to stop this damned rageboarding, I managed to prevent it with my magic but less experienced players are likely to just get rageboarded with no means of the game mechanics preventing it.

My suggestion would be to make the bowsprit of the Requin really fragile so it breaks to all ships and if it loses it then boarding prep goes to zero along with a crew shock.

9 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I was in a  Herc and I've just had my first instance of chain, ram, chain, repair, retag.

It was fun (not)

Because the guys failed to board me by ramming me the moment the battle started he decided to just chain me down so I did a repair and then proceeded to keep retagging in OW hoping I'd run out of repairs so he could ram and board me.

Something should be done to stop this damned rageboarding, I managed to prevent it with my magic but less experienced players are likely to just get rageboarded with no means of the game mechanics preventing it.

My suggestion would be to make the bowsprit of the Requin really fragile so it breaks to all ships and if it loses it then boarding prep goes to zero along with a crew shock.

Historically seldom ships got sunk. Or they surrendered (almost a no-sense in a game), or got boarded and thus again captured. So boarding is even too underrepresented in game.

So boarding was, should be in game, and is in game a fine mechanic to be used. Please: use properly "boarding" and not rage-boarding. There's no rage or emergency last ditch option in Requin aiming to board as soon as possible an enemy. Honestly: sailing a Requin should I try a side to side gunnery duel with a frigate? definately NO.

That boarding "minigame" in NA needs a redesign to make it more interesting and/or balanced is a plain truth. BUT keeping in mind that a more trained and geared (marines/books/muskets) crew can beat a less trained/geared one... is plain normal... as that a bigger crew should beat (usually) a smaller one.

Making a follow-up of my post, I would go on saying I become a border more by necessity than choise.

Please follow the reasoning:

I want to raid enemy waters.

I (especially in the past) sail alone.

So I need a fast ship to be able to avoid groups.

I am not rich so I cant afford a super modded ship and I miss all fancy books. So to get a very fast ship I need her light/super light built.

If I sail a superlight ship even a same sized enemy is dangerous in a gunnery battle.

Conclusion: I need to gear as a boarder: It is very intensive number-wise (a barely decent boarding set up requires 3 books being 4/5 books the correct one) but not money intensive.

On the contrary the perfect gunny raider is very money intensive (expensive woods, expensive speed perms, AoSH almost a must).

So I become a boarder.

In the end, is it a choise being me crappy gunner? Or it's simply a logical choise granted (AGAIN) the enormous potential of super costly mods overstacking that I simply cant afford??

PS: the problem about boarding is that simply 90+% of players (newbie and vet alike) have simply not a clue about it.

Zero clues created and worsened by total lack of proper infomation ingame/forums.

Howis calculated melee strenght? How is it modified by different height? How is it finally modified in relation with enemy action? How's calculated firepower? How is modified by books? Etc etc etc...

7 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

It was fun (not)

Lol. This post really cheered me up.

You want a boarding ship to not board you, instead you want it to roll up alongside and fire duel you! lol.

( I was in my Herc........) argument over.

I won't even comment on the bowsprit which makes no sense at all.

5 hours ago, Salty Sails said:

P2W

index.png

What are you saying??

This happen with normal ships to. If your a big powerful clan you can craft ships at will until you get a 5_5.

Also this ship will now be in.play until sunk d

So no free ship every day.

Edited by Crow

13 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I was in a  Herc and I've just had my first instance of chain, ram, chain, repair, retag

You mean you found a ship who did not fight the way you want it to.

That's PVP!

No one will leave becausw of xebec.

Herc is a different beast it's the go to hunting ship now.

Just sail from Mortimer and see how many Prussian hercs from Salina are waiting to jump in on missions etc.

Me I have both of them but I prefer my trinco which I will happily fight both in.

2 hours ago, Crow said:

No one will leave becausw of xebec.

Herc is a different beast it's the go to hunting ship now.

Just sail from Mortimer and see how many Prussian hercs from Salina are waiting to jump in on missions etc.

Me I have both of them but I prefer my trinco which I will happily fight both in.

I don't want to misquote you.  But if I read between the lines in your statement above, it sounds like you believe that DLC ships have actually saved this game (from a gameplay standpoint, not a financial standpoint)?   Really, is that what you are saying?

17 hours ago, Salty Sails said:

P2W

index.png

This came from a DLC ship?  So not only can you sell both DLCs every 24 hours for 26K each, you can churn them until you get a bonus ship.

So hit a trader for PvP, offload the cannons and repairs and sell before logging off, and redeem the next day.  Stash cannons and repairs at outposts and you effectively also get a cash-positive port tow.

Am I missing something here?

Might partially explain why ships are sitting in the Charleston market longer than they used to.

Fewer buyers.

Edited by Marcus Corvus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

then normal ship should be only 3/5 too

all redeemed ships should be 3/5. Only crafted ships should get bonuses 

why? because crafting ships is much more time consuming than redeeming

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Looks like someone didn't have to deal with DLC ships in port battles yet.

Ok im not talking about two too powerful DLC ships but about DLC ships as whole we need balanced DLC ship to properly review DLC ships concept

Surely the real question is: Why should anyone spend time, resources, and gold crafting a good quality ship when their opponent can pay for a mini super Dreadnought, build from the finest woods, throw on some enhancements that make her almost invulnerable in a few minutes, and then, sink you on your maiden voyage? 

It is not fun spending time gold and resources crafting ships that never get to do what you designed them to do because someone bought the 18th century equivalent of the Graf Spee pocket battleships, Scharnhorst battlecruiser or Bismark class battleships, it is worse than P2W, it's almost no win!  Unless of course, you follow the R.N.'s solution, gank them to death!

In my opinion it is far more satisfying to construct a ship that someone has to learn how to counter, even for the opposing player who comes up with the winning tactics, than to pay for an almost invulnerable ship that kills almost anything it meets, a concept that is self destructive, as eventually, few, if any players will be willing to come out and fight it. 

Now, where is my battle bowler and anti flash gear? :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

I don't want to misquote you.  But if I read between the lines in your statement above, it sounds like you believe that DLC ships have actually saved this game (from a gameplay standpoint, not a financial standpoint)?   Really, is that what you are saying?

No.

17 hours ago, Marcus Corvus said:

This came from a DLC ship?  So not only can you sell both DLCs every 24 hours for 26K each, you can churn them until you get a bonus ship.

So hit a trader for PvP, offload the cannons and repairs and sell before logging off, and redeem the next day.  Stash cannons and repairs at outposts and you effectively also get a cash-positive port tow.

Am I missing something here?

Might partially explain why ships are sitting in the Charleston market longer than they used to.

Fewer buyers.

Yes you are.

26k is nothing. ( you get 40k + for hitting AI trader brig in 5 mins) (plus it's cargo)

If you sink you lose all mods you put on ship. Same if you sell it.

So..your saying people will buy dlc to 'farm' 26k per day in the hope they craft a good one. So if it takes 7 days they make 182k and don't sail their dlc ship at all and if they do, they don't fit any mods.

Edited by Crow