Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JulietPapaOscar

44 Man Trafalgar

I'd be fine with locking outside view, but maybe allow a view from the tops (as in the platforms on the mast)? :)

This would work.  At the very least, put the main view on the quarter deck so we have a bit of height to have some awareness of the general situation.  But I'd be willing to try this out for a week and see how it pans out.  This is alpha after all, may as well test it.   ;)

That sounds like a pretty workable plan. Standard view from the quarter deck, aiming view from the center of the gun deck (for broadsides), and then a selectable camera either from the tops or the crosstrees or something. I'd definitely be up for giving something more immersive a go :)

The problem with that is awareness. We don't have a full crew shouting at us that a ship is about to collide, we just have a little bell. And it's hard to have situational awareness like you would in real life, because you can't move about.

Aside from that, if that's the case, then we shouldn't be aiming guns either, because that's for the gun crews to do. In fact we shouldn't be doing any sail changes, we should be saying things like "Master Bill, bring the ship two points to Starboard, let's catch up with the fleet" and Master Bill would decide on the sail settings.

• Like 2

I play with view zoomed all the way into the deck, so I can't complain. I would still love and option for a true standing on the quarterdeck view without a fully stabilized (floating) camera.

My only real complaint with the current view system, however, is the bow chaser aiming view. Elevating the camera higher in comparison to the other aiming views makes aiming much, much harder.

• Like 1

the standing on quarterdeck view would be my preferred view as well - max immersive. If you also mapped specific keys to the "gunsight view" and one for back to quarterdeck view - that would be perfect.

Outside view could be reserved for spectators - like a "news crew" reporting on a great battle.

If we had an on deck view, which is what I want, we would have to be able to look around.  We should also possibly be able to "walk" around.  Now I'm not talking about avatars, but like Age of Pirates Caribbean Tales.

I actually really enjoy the zoomed out view we currently have and I just love watching my entire ship sail around in battle.  Actually, on larger ships, I would like to be able to zoom out just slightly more.  This "third person view" gives a good situational awareness and in large games like Trafalgar, this is a must.  The amount of friendly collisions shows this.  

Or make a deck view that works with my TrackIR and then maybe I'll change my mind ;)

I also like the ability to view my ship zoomed out.  That way we can view close up the awesome ships we are sailing.

I'm fine with the restricted view that we have now and think it offers just enough visual freedom. It's much better than the unrestricted view from the heavens present in other games that allow you to see everything. However, I would be up for testing a locked in deck view for a week just to see how it would go.

I'd be fine with locking outside view, but maybe allow a view from the tops (as in the platforms on the mast)? :)

I think eliminating the Birds eye view is good, as long as you can have a view from the crows nest

seeing how people are having a hard time not ramming eachother while having a narrowed forward vision even if they have a bell and a minimap i dont think this is a good idea.

the colors of the minimap needs to be bright neon colors if something is wrong or else you are not registering it because it blends in with the ocean because of the transperent behavior

and we need  crew shouting.

otherwise it will be like the first weeks of pre-order seatrials where everyone is ramming each other

• Like 1

Most peoples monitors are just not large enough to give a truly wide view. The FOV is off.

Take an empty box. Cut a 16x9 hole on one side. Place the box over your head. Live your life this way, because that's what a first-person view would be like in this game.

E: And I say this owning several very large monitors for flight-simming where only the cockpit is important, and even there it leads to severe tunnel-vision.

Which brings up an interesting question, what is the field of view angle in the game?  

that screen is exactly why i am against outside view ;) looks like a boston harbor in 1800

I would love to lock everyone on decks during battles and let outside view work only in the open sea travel (like in AC3/4)

Sounds like this

using the scrolling wheel, we could be able to choose between crows nest (being the replacement for free camera) fore (so we can see where we are going) and quarterdeck (just cause).

that screen is exactly why i am against outside view ;) looks like a boston harbor in 1800

I would love to lock everyone on decks during battles and let outside view work only in the open sea travel (like in AC3/4)

Would like to have the option for new players - For the first oh, some number around the "I got a Brig now" amount of battles maybe allow 3PV so that new players can used to the ships. After that make it optional in Duel and PvE while making Trafalgar on deck view only.

Also; some sort of target range map - Solo mode for those that are trying mixed loads or wanting screenshots of their ships against the backdrop of various environments (storm, calm, calm evening, etc). 3PV enabled

Here is a second perspective video. Not as good as Marine Gamer's but another perspective.

• Like 1

There has to be a balance and I think the current one is good. Restricting the view to the quarterdeck is not any more realistic, in my opinion, than what we have now. You do realize that if this were a "real" simulator we would have an entire crew of hundreds of men and officers to assist in the workings of our ship. The speed at which things are happening would be much slower than what we have in the game currently as well. Yea having the current FoV that is in game might not be completely realistic but neither is my needing to manually aim multiple decks of guns, work the rudder, and manually adjust sails.

• Like 1

Which brings up an interesting question, what is the field of view angle in the game?  

About --- Less than 160 ---- that is for sure, I'm thinking 90ish

stereoscopic_vision.gif

(view from above)

Human eyes have an overlapping field of view

of about 120º.  It is only in this field that we

have stereoscopic vision.  Beyond this 3-D

area out to 160-180º, we see things only in

two dimensions (2-D)--i.e., flat without depth.

Monkeys and apes have about the same

depth perception ability as humans, but the

eyes of lemurs are farther apart resulting in a

smaller overlapping field of view.

Every one of these ive tried to partake in has been a complete disaster. And the single worst thing i has played in this alpha.

I guess i miss the good ones.

About --- Less than 160 ---- that is for sure, I'm thinking 90ish

stereoscopic_vision.gif

(view from above)

Human eyes have an overlapping field of view

of about 120º.  It is only in this field that we

have stereoscopic vision.  Beyond this 3-D

area out to 160-180º, we see things only in

two dimensions (2-D)--i.e., flat without depth.

Monkeys and apes have about the same

depth perception ability as humans, but the

eyes of lemurs are farther apart resulting in a

smaller overlapping field of view.

Not exactly what I was referring to.  In 3d modelling as well as in photography, your field of view is far narrower than your actual optic field of view.  90 degrees on a monitor would look very distorted.

I remember when Half Life 2 came out, I could only play for about an hour at a time because their FOV made me (and many, many others) motion sick. I can only imagine how I'd feel with a similar problem in a game about ships.