Game-Labs Forum

Stop using mm/dd/yyyy

6 minutes ago, beagleplease said:

I actually agree with you as a brit I'd be willing to change for the greater good.  Now admit that your dates are silly 😋 

US month/date system is based on a paper calendar, you first flip to the month then find the day within that month (iirc) it's honestly not even a huge deal, it would be best to just let people choose the layout they want.

Well when you write out the date in longhand or say it in a sentence do you say "Today is July 5th, 2018." or do you say "Today is the 5th of July 2018." ?

I know there are a few of you wout there who are using the Julian calendar so today would be 2458304.500000

Personally I think that the stardate calendar is way more accurate so have a great 47634.44

https://www.stoacademy.com/tools/stardate.php

Edited by The Wren

14 hours ago, Capt Aerobane said:

US month/date system is based on a paper calendar, you first flip to the month then find the day within that month (iirc) it's honestly not even a huge deal, it would be best to just let people choose the layout they want.

Do you think this is a serious discussion... 

We were talking about flags on the moon a few posts ago lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Wren said:

Well when you write out the date in longhand or say it in a sentence do you say "Today is July 5th, 2018." or do you say "Today is the 5th of July 2018." ?

When many people verbally state the time they say things like "half past eight"  or "quarter to nine'.  But very few people write those as "1/2 past 8"  or "0.25 hours to 9 o'clock"

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

When many people verbally state the time they say things like "half past eight"  or "quarter to nine'.  But very few people write those as "1/2 past 8"  or "0.25 hours to 9 o'clock"

Whole different can of worms! ;)

I stick with 24hr time because of work but mainly because it pisses my wife off to no end.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Wren said:

Whole different can of worms! ;)

I stick with 24hr time because of work but mainly because it pisses my wife off to no end.

The 24hr time drives me crazy too lol. My clanmates will say something like "PB at 21:00"... then I have to subtract 21 from 12 then subtract 5 to figure out what time it is here :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

The 24hr time drives me crazy too lol. My clanmates will say something like "PB at 21:00"... then I have to subtract 21 from 12 then subtract 5 to figure out what time it is here :)

FYI ... day has 24 hours, not 2x12.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, Fluffy Fishy said:

what about the asian system of yyyy/mm/dd? Its what they use for archives and most filing systems too

That's also the IT way of writing dates. Any admin will tell you that :P writing it backwards like so will allow you to organised by a-z in correct day by day order ;) 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:54 PM, The Wren said:

Whose flag is on the moon?  :P

And you can keep your metric system too!  Lol

It is not our metric system, i just love it that Murica is the last bastion of imperial measurement pure karma

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lieste said:

It is especially ignorant to claim superiority of antique units of customary usage by using an example of technological success which relies on International Standard metric systems.

NASA put the flag on the moon (among other accomplishments) by using SI units and the metric system. They have *never^* flown a manned/orbital rocket as far as I know designed in Customary units, nor is their flight-path data calculated in it

Only the cockpit instrumentation has ever been in US customary units... (^except for that one case where a Mars satellite was litho-braked because one contractor was using customary units and passed the wrong value to the purely metric/SI NASA systems).

I sometimes use Imperial units for casual speech and for some 'back of envelope' stuff, but if I want *any* serious calculation I will convert any units to SI, perform all calculations in SI and convert back (if needed) for display or colloquialism.

You win for killjoy of the month. 🤡 Thanks for being a fun sucker. 🙄

I especially appreciate being called ignorant for trying to have a little fun on the forums. What a guy.

I think this is actually a "fun" and relevant topic.  ;)

I am a US citizen and I have grown up with IP units dominating the US civilian world.  I'm also a US military veteran and have been exposed to plenty of the military standards.  But as a professional engineer I have to say the two decades or so of the US trying to implement metric systems into the construction world have proven a complete failure more than once, and now all of (at least my...) government projects have abandoned the metric system because both the construction crews and the facility maintenance people cannot live by that system.  In practice it makes for an uncoordinated and difficult path forward in our current US society.  Failure in the school systems too, to a large degree.  I readily admit it goes against the world workflow and established systems, but it's extremely difficult to overcome within establishments such as construction and engineering, and especially manufacturing is a big part too.  By far the large majority of the engineering that was done during the forced implementation of US government metric design projects were done in "soft" metric.  Which meant we designed in IP, documented in SI, and then it was decoded by the construction and manufacturing sectors back to IP and built that way, and then finally documented as-built as SI.  And that is just stupid.  But in the end you can't re-tool the entire manufacturing world within this country because it's impractical and too costly.  We (US) should have committed one way or the other, and now because of the failure of those previous attempts, we are back to all IP, design + construction.

As it pertains to Naval Action - a game and not construction - I would love to see a UI option/preference setting, per player, for indicating units in either IP or SI, and along with that the dates should/could also be a UI option for every player.  The only thing I would find confusing (and the OP's opinion suggests this, although belligerently he should know), is if the game does not explain what you are looking at.  You should be able to set it in your options and preferences and then know clearly what you are looking at on your screen.  Because players are not going to re-learn the systems they grew up with.

Further, there are some correct opinions above regarding putting the year first, as it the sensible way of sorting in the computing world.  This is a coded game after all.  And code should be efficient, then translated properly to the players via the UI and its options/preferences.  So coded by year first, and then the player can choose what he actually sees.

These are just my own opinions, but some of these posts above that condescend to others because of their country's use of numbering/dating systems is silly.  There are dictating factors in those decisions, as I described above for the engineering and construction world.

• Like 1

As a child of the US in the 1970s, I can guarantee that we are switching to the metric system and soccer will become our most popular sport.

Any day now. 

🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jodgi said:

It's cute that muricans will brag about sticking it to the King, dumping tea into the harbor and what not, but who keeps the King's old and impractical measurements alive?

lol you are totally right.  The king was known to be short, approximately 3.7 cubits tall.  Keep those units alive.  :lol:

• Like 1