Game-Labs Forum

Flags Flags Flags

7 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

^ Pirates who want to buy their flag at a shop...

What would Blackbeard say ?

I'm disappointed

I have no words

Come on, Pirates, tear off your shirt, paint it in your enemy's blood and hoist it ! 🙂 

NO FLAG - NO COUNTRY!

WHAT DO WE WANT - PIRATE FLAGS!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT - RIGHT NOW!

Full collection (pirates already above)

TGKyiA7.jpg

GFb4Bg9.jpg

B4SSBiS.jpg

7TR8uKt.jpg

Future flag additions will be added to the Naval Action Flags DLC for free and will unlock automatically. 

we know we need to add merchant french and some others but do not have time now. 
Please propose in this topic if we missed anything

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

So it sounds like you buy all in a single DLC.

Any ETA or price info?

And can I only use Pirate flags for example if Im in Pirate nation?

Yes. Single pack
No info on pricing yet
Yes. You can only see and use flags of your nation. But if you switch nation you will see other flags and lose ability to use pirate flags.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes. You can only see and use flags of your nation. But if you switch nation you will see other flags and lose ability to use pirate flags.

is this to recognize friends from foe in battle?

22 hours ago, admin said:

GFb4Bg9.jpg

May I propose what, IMHO I think, are more meaningful names for the French flags ?

• 'Louis XVI' : great name (or maybe the simpler 'King's ensign')
  • 'galley flag" : great name
  • 'Royal ensign' : isn't it the flag of the Royal family only during the Bourbon Restauration (1814-1830) ? Maybe 'Bourbon restauration" or 'Late royal flag' would be better ?
  • 'Naval Ensign 1790' : flag of the period between the Monarchy and the Empire. What about 'Revolution flag' or 'French Revolution' ?
  • 'Per Mare et Terras'  flag of the Compagnies Franches de Marine (17-18th cent.) that served 'overseas' in the French colonies (Americas, India). What about 'Colonial flag' ? Was it really used as a naval ensign one could see on ships ?

What about a rearrangement of the flags in a chronological order with 'Louis XVI" the antepenultimate flag, the  'Naval Ensign 1790' the penultimate one and the 'Royal ensign' the last one ?

Indeed, as you mention, a flag of the French Merchants would be nice.

I guess it is no use repeating that the plain white flag for the warships during the French Monarchy (80% of NA timeframe) is missing. Let's also mention that this flag was also largely used by the Merchant ships, despite the prohibition « l’usage du pavillon blanc a toujours continué dans les navires marchands et actuellement on n’y en voit pas d’autre. » (Valin, Commentaires sur l'Ordonnance de la Marine de 1681, 1766)

Congratulations, GL, for all those beautiful flags 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, admin said:

You can only see and use flags of your nation.

You can only see flags of your nation in whatever menu where you choose what flag to carry, or you can only see flags (variety) of your own nation, period?

I mean, if I'm in a battle with Russians against Prussians: Will I be able to see any dlc-flags carried by players on the Prussian side? Or only the dlc-flags carried by Russians in the battle?

Also: What if we join a battle that's ongoing between two other nations? Will we retain our DLC-flags in those battles, or will we carry the standard flag of whatever nation's side we join?

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

You can only see flags of your nation in whatever menu where you choose what flag to carry, or you can only see flags (variety) of your own nation, period?

I mean, if I'm in a battle with Russians against Prussians: Will I be able to see any dlc-flags carried by players on the Prussian side? Or only the dlc-flags carried by Russians in the battle?

Also: What if we join a battle that's ongoing between two other nations? Will we retain our DLC-flags in those battles, or will we carry the standard flag of whatever nation's side we join?

At least for "seeing" them, in the test server, you can see variant flags on enemies.  I believe admin means that you will only "see" your flags to select within the UI.  (English is occasionally a clunky language.)

I want to say that we really should be able to see the dlc-flags of anyone carrying it, friend or foe. It's going to be mightily confusing to begin with, having friends and enemies both carrying a range of flags and not all the same like now. It's going to lead to a few stray broadsides I imagine. It's not going to be the first time I accidentally sank a friend with some well placed leaks though. And we will get used to it. Moreover, recognising flags and knowing what they meant was a vital part of the Age of Sail experience. A good captain should quickly come to recognise what ensigns belong to what nation. And if they don't there's still the red colour of someone's name in the upper right corner to know you're targeting a foe.

2 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

In which timespan is this game again?

150px-Flag_of_North_German_Confederation 

This was marine jack from 1867–1871. Looks nice but probably a bit too late :P

1700-1820 if I remember right unless it has changed but @admin could correct this so you would be way out of time line.  I would of loved the CSA Jack or the Naval Jack (both very close) but that is about the same time as the flag you posted 1860's.

810px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_

1330px-Naval_jack_of_the_Confederate_Sta

1 hour ago, Powderhorn said:

Right, and you can on the test bed.

You mean we can see it on AI right cause as far as I know there aren't flags for players on testbed yet.  Would be nice if they gifted a few just to test and see how they work.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, admin said:

Please propose in this topic if we missed anything

"Swedish East India Company" flag might be based on historical flag with faded colors. They did use military style flag (with tails), even after it was prohibited in a royal decree in 1751. However they were also allowed to have a monogram (SOIC) in the middle of the cross.

FtS7F6N.png.c9496add19ba64f1c00a9180e3ea190c.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_East_India_Company

Also missing are Swedish merchant/civil flags. They are basically the same as "Naval Ensign" and "War Flag 1815", but merchant versions have no tails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_Sweden

Edited by Riparian

5 hours ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

In which timespan is this game again?

3 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

1700-1820 if I remember right unless it has changed.

NA timeframe for ships (for a long time, maybe for ever) : 1680 -1820 (some add '+/- 5 years')

But for the danish-norway naval flags, Admin extended the timeframe to 1840 in this thread.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, Havelock said:

Flag of the Holy Roman Empire which i solely propose for historical reasons (it existed until 1806 so it fits the timeframe):

[...]

I know, i know, it should actually be a prussian flag... pls dont torture me like that and make it swedish or for everyone ^_^

2 hours ago, admin said:

You can only see and use flags of your nation. But if you switch nation you will see other flags and lose ability to use pirate flags.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻