Game-Labs Forum

Flags Flags Flags

Question: will these be by Nation packages ?

Asking because I have no interest to pay for half of the flags and I rather purchase only the nations I am interested in.

Allow me a comment - Please, retain credibility. A region or nation without a proper naval ensign wouldn't fit in. It is like having Nova Scotia flag, just because it would be nice, when in truth the privateer vessels hailing from there all used the union corner red field royal navy flag.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:08 AM, OjK said:

4.jpg

@admin Gdańsk (Danzig) flag for Polish nation as well please...

I can provide better resolution picture - the National Maritime Museum said they won't have a problem with letting me do professional picture with proper camera.

49 minutes ago, admin said:

btw which book is this from? i want the source for this painting

Book is called "Der Segelschiffe grosse Zeit" published by Delius Klasing.

Unfortunately there is no source for the picture.

7 hours ago, pietjenoob said:

Would also love to see that to add to the dutch flags also the Admiraliteit flags, some of them are still the same since some of them are current day city-flags or province-flags so you have a bit more diversitie

Like this one:

Image result for amsterdam city flag

Image result for amsterdam city flag

Amsterdam city flag in use since 1500s. Flown on ships registered in the city. 

I think the Swedes could use a bit more variety than what was shown. There is this flag here that was used by the navy in the 1600s, but there aren't many pictures of it, and the ones I have seen have varying numbers of stripes. So that might require more looking into. Also can we include flags with their coat of arms such as the three crowns?

download.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Latron said:

I think the Swedes could use a bit more variety than what was shown.

There are 4 different flags for Sweden here for 1750's (see the 4th row) :

• with 3 tails : the royal flag
  • with 2 tails : the plain flag (for the warships ?)
  • no tail : the flag of the Swedish Merchant fleet
  • with a red badge and 2 crossed golden keys inside : the flag of "Riga et Livonie" in French (is it 'Riga Governorate 1721-1796' ?)
Edited by LeBoiteux

On 10/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, Latron said:

I think the Swedes could use a bit more variety than what was shown. There is this flag here that was used by the navy in the 1600s, but there aren't many pictures of it, and the ones I have seen have varying numbers of stripes. So that might require more looking into. Also can we include flags with their coat of arms such as the three crowns?

Here you can find good selection of Swedish flags (but many of these are out of current naval action time window) ;

http://waslingmedia.se/nationalism/sveriges-flagga-genom-historien-del-2/

However, there should be at least one version with no tails for merchant shipping.

found a flag on a merchant vessel of the Americans

1200px-Andrew_Doria_NH_85510-KN.jpg

first official documented representation of the Americans to the Dutch

one of the first flags i believe 

This article is about the 1775 American brig. For other ships of the same name, see USS Andrew Doria. For the Italian admiral, see Andrea Doria.
Andrew Doria NH 85510-KN.jpg
Andrew Doria receives a salute from the Dutch fort at Sint Eustatius, 16 November 1776.
History
54px-Naval_Jack_of_the_United_States.svg Grand Union Flag
Name: Andrew Doria
Namesake: Andrea Doria
Acquired: November 1775
Nickname(s): "Black Brig"
Fate: Scuttled in the Delaware River, November 1777
Notes: Formerly merchant brig Defiance
General characteristics
Type: Brig[1]
Displacement: 190 long tons (190 t)
Length: 75 ft (23 m)
Beam: 25 ft (7.6 m)
Depth: 10 ft (3.0 m)
Complement: 112 officers and men
Armament: 14 × 4-pounder (1.8 kg) guns
Service record
Commanders:
Operations:

Andrew Doria was a brig[1] purchased by the Continental Congress in November 1775. She is most famous for her participation in the Battle of Nassau—the first amphibious engagement by the Continental Navy and the Continental Marines—and for being the first United States vessel to receive a salute from a foreign power.

two flags are involved here

300px-Flag_of_the_United_States_(1776%E2

dont_tread_me_flag-300x197.jpg

variation gadsden.jpg

adsden Flag designed by Christopher Gadsden in 1775. (Image Source: google images)

The coiled rattlesnake and “Don’t Tread on Me” phrase was also used with a yellow background on what is known as the Gadsden Flag. Used by the Continental Marines at the time, the Gadsden flag is also a popular choice of the modern day Liberty movements in America. From the Tea Party to Gun Rights advocates, the “Don’t Tread on Me” phrase has become popular as a warning to big government and governmental abuses of power.

Serapis flag the "Franklin flag"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

250px-Serapis_Flag.svg.png

The "Serapis" or "John Paul Jones" flag

Serapis is a name given to an unconventional, early United States ensign flown from the captured British frigate Serapis.

At the 1779 Battle of Flamborough Head, U.S. Navy Captain John Paul Jones captured the Serapis, but his own ship, the Bonhomme Richard sank, and her ensign had been blown from the mast into the sea during the battle. Jones, now commanding the Serapis without an ensign, sailed to the island port of Texel, which was run by the neutral Dutch United Provinces. Officials from the United Kingdom argued that Jones was a pirate, since he sailed a captured vessel flying no known national ensign.

A year earlier, Arthur Lee, American commissioner in France, wrote in a letter to Henry Laurens that the U.S. ships' "colors should be white, red, and blue alternately to thirteen" with a "blue field with thirteen stars" in the canton.[1] Benjamin Franklin and John Adams, ambassadors to France, wrote a similar description of United States flags:

It is with pleasure that we acquaint your excellency that the flag of the United States of America consists of thirteen stripes, alternately red, white, and blue; a small square in the upper angle, next the flagstaff, is a blue field, with thirteen white stars, denoting a new constellation.[2]
160px-DDG-53_crest.gif

Coat of arms of the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53).Apparently based upon this description, a recognizable ensign was quickly made to fly aboard the Serapis, and Dutch records edited to include a sketch of the ensign to make it official. The Dutch could, therefore, recognize the flag and avoid the legal controversy of Jones' captured ship. The Dutch records survive and provide the original sketch of the ensign.[3] The sketch is labeled "Serapis" and dated 5 October 1779, just one day after the Francis Hopkinson style flag, labeled "Alliance" (a ship in Jones' fleet), was entered.[4]There are five known illustrations of American flags with tri-color stripes.[5] Tri-colored stripes appeared in various European almanacs into the 19th century, featuring stars with 4, 5, or 6 points and arranged in various patterns.[6] The Serapis flag is distinctive because of the four, irregularly placed blue stripes and 8-pointed stars. Although it was flown as a U.S. Ensign and was recognized as such by a foreign nation, it did not meet the Congressional description of U.S. flags under the Flag Resolution of 1777, which specified "alternate red and white" stripes.

The Serapis flag is also known as the "Franklin flag" due to the description given by Ambassador Franklin. It was featured on a 33¢ postage stamp issued in 2000, as a part of the U.S. Postal Service's Stars and Stripes series. The stamp was titled "John Paul Jones flag."

This flag, along with the First Navy Jack, is featured on the crest of the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53).[8]

In spite of—or because of—its variation from more standard U.S. "Stars and Stripes" flags, the Serapis design remains popular among historic U.S. flag displays, and is offered by many flag vendors

the battle witch involved the 2 ships  and  how and where this flag was born by accident  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bonhomme_Richard_(1765)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Serapis_(1779)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States#The_Flag_Resolution_of_1777

i believe this is one of the most special flags for the US Navy, because it was made strictly at that period special for a vessel at sea .(made in Holland)

Edited by Thonys

Hello Captains

Thanks for the beautiful pictures in this topic

Thanks  @z4ys and @Wind (long time ago) for interesting historical references on flag visuals during naval multinational parades.

Need your opinion which picture you like more

Grey

wNizBsz.jpg

Blue

5Sc8YAB.jpg

reply in comments

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, admin said:

reply in comments

Definitely the blue in my opinion. It works much more harmonic with the many bright colours of the flags on the ship. Also I found this regarding use of colour in marketing:

"Colour is powerful because it can change our mood – the mood of potential customers. If a website improves our state of mind, our relationship with a brand will deepen and the probability of a return will increase. Advertisers and designers are well aware of that. We are not guided entirely by logic when making purchases. We tend to be driven by less identifiable factors such as emotions. ... Violet, blue, turquoise, green, navy give a feeling of stability and quality. These shades are often placed as accompanying colours. Although they don’t attract attention they emphasise the content."

1 hour ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

Thanks for the beautiful pictures in this topic

Thanks  @z4ys and @Wind (long time ago) for interesting historical references on flag visuals during naval multinational parades.

Need your opinion which picture you like more

Grey

Blue

reply in comments

No pirate flags.

Therefore, two pictures are just awful :D

• Like 1

I prefer the blue picture (more lighthearted).

On 10/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, admin said:

Update on flags… 

This is the first draft flag collection - will be available on steam somewhere by mid November.

ojdXPQ3.jpg

Will there be a second/final draft posted some day ?

On 10/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, admin said:

please let us know if we missed anything and if there are specific flags you wanted to add to current 11 nations

Looking at the French flags, I can see, from the first draft and the picture you posted today, flags for all the French historic periods of NA time frame : Ancien Régime, Revolution, Empire, Restauration. That's nice indeed. Thx. But the choice of the flags for the Ancien Régime bugs me a little (still from what I can see) :

• the King's flag 
  • the beautiful red flag of the French galleys
  • the flag of the city of Calais (if I ain't mistaken : white with a small red cross on its top left corner)

But no white flag of the French warships ?

When sailing a 7th-6th rate or a frigate during the Ancien Régime, say La Renommée or whatever, I hardly see myself using one of these 3 flags.

Nice DLC however.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 4:43 AM, admin said:

Update on flags… 

This is the first draft flag collection - will be available on steam somewhere by mid November.

ojdXPQ3.jpg

please let us know if we missed anything and if there are specific flags you wanted to add to current 11 nations

Looks nice but have one question will they be restricted to the nation that flew them?  Other wise it would be like having false flags in battle and could get a bit confusing if said a British players fly's the Spanish flag and a Dane player the US flag and a US player has the french flag.   I hate to restrict them but I think they should be restricted to nation of orgin, or how will they work in game cause if you only see them and every one else see's the generic flag than it won't matter, but if every one to see....like a clan all use one flag than would others see that one flag on that ship?

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 2:31 PM, LeBoiteux said:

But no white flag of the French warships ?

When sailing a 7th-6th rate or a frigate during the Ancien Régime, say La Renommée or whatever, I hardly see myself using one of these 3 flags.

yes, we need the historical pure white flag for the french navy too.

@admin: it is probably possible to remove the white flag for neutral ships and those who surrendered in battle?

Edited by Citoyen J

43 minutes ago, REPUBLIQUE said:

@admin: it is probably possible to remove the white flag for (...) those who surrendered in battle?

by replacing the use of the white flag for ceasefire/surrender (a use that doesn't belong to NA timeframe) with lowering the national flag (or, at least, its immediate disappearance) ?

I guess it needs some coding.

Edited by LeBoiteux

48 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Looks nice but have one question will they be restricted to the nation that flew them?  Other wise it would be like having false flags in battle and could get a bit confusing if said a British players fly's the Spanish flag and a Dane player the US flag and a US player has the french flag.   I hate to restrict them but I think they should be restricted to nation of orgin, or how will they work in game cause if you only see them and every one else see's the generic flag than it won't matter, but if every one to see....like a clan all use one flag than would others see that one flag on that ship?

I think this one is a given, except for maybe pirates who could be allowed to fly any flag. Imagining a battle between GB and France, where the brits fly the french flags and the french fly british flags sounds nothing but cringy. Giving the level of historical accuracy and love for detail of the game, I hope the devs think the same.

• Like 1