nothe reference is here also 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Denmark

the orlogsflag has a deeper red color than the normal civilian (merchant) flag

and the size differs:

the (navy) naval flag is 7:17

250px-Naval_Ensign_of_Denmark.svg.png

split flag ( merchant flag (- civilian) size  56:107

201px-Flag_of_Denmark_(state).svg.png

(ps. the square flag is also almost similar to the flag of Malta (Pavillon de Malte) {size matters}and can easily be mistaken for the flag of Denmark )

@admin also a link to the Compagnie brands in flagshttp://internationalcongressesofvexillology-proceedingsandreports.yolasite.com/resources/20th-Stockholm/ICV20 Engene.pdf

vgk_flag_rigsarkivet.jpg?itok=g2_fPSJk&t

on page 211 is a very interesting flag  ( :) )

historical read about the Danes in the Carribean: http://www.virgin-islands-history.dk/eng/vi_hist.asp

Norwegian after 1814

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flags_of_Norway#Flags_of_the_Navy

image.png.c1fb7bfaa6e1ad078e365b98a3ca66

merchant                 202px-Flag_of_Norway_with_proportions.sv   

state and war flag  246px-Flag_of_Norway,_state_with_proport

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, admin said:

Please if you have any great references for danish - norway naval flags from 1700 to 1840 periods -please post in this topic

Is 1700-1840 the new official timeframe of NA for ships and everything in game or is it still 1680-1820 (+/- 5 years) ?

Is 1700-1840 only for flags / Denmark /... ?

For example :

On 5/18/2017 at 7:36 AM, BungeeLemming said:

inside the timeframe of thegame. that is 1680 to 1820.

On 12/24/2016 at 3:31 PM, OlavDeng2 said:

within the timeline if we go by official since that is 1680-1820

On 1/26/2016 at 5:28 PM, slik said:

Період гри був визначений так: з 1680 по 1820 роки +/- 5 років,

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, admin said:

was Gadsden flag ever used as a naval ensign? Could it be used? 

I dont think so. its the motto flag of the Continental Marines. The naval flag would have been this one or  2000px-Naval_Jack_of_the_United_States.sor NH-85212-KN.jpg.1fc2cbac8a947bec02ea562df568e4f9.jpg

In 1775, the Continental Congress issued an order calling for five companies of Marines to be created.  It was reported that some of the Marines that enlisted that month in Philadelphia carried drums painted yellow, emblazoned with a fierce rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike with 13 rattles, and sporting a motto “Don’t Tread On Me.” The Marines first mission was assisting the Continental Navy on a man-of-war, the Alfred, and three other ships in capturing arms and gunpowder from the British.

Esek Hopkins was chosen to be the commander-in-chief of the Navy by Gadsden and Congress.  It is generally accepted that Gadsden presented Hopkins with the flag which he flew as his personal standard on the Alfred, because he felt it was important for the Commodore to have a distinctive personal standard.

So far havent found a painting with the gasden flag as main flag.

Edit * here gadsden flag and Continental Marines"

Continental-Marines-at-New-Providence-ca

Continental Marines at New Providence, carrying Grand Union and Gadsden Flags

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

@z4ys the naval flag was without the snake, just the stripes.

yes the normal Navyflag would be white and red stripes. Modifications are done a la the pictures I posted ( red + white stripes + snake or british junion jack)

the yellow gadsden flag (which admins questions is about) wouldnt be the main ship flag in my opinion

Update on flags… 

This is the first draft flag collection - will be available on steam somewhere by mid November.

ojdXPQ3.jpg

please let us know if we missed anything and if there are specific flags you wanted to add to current 11 nations

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

I'd like to see the New York Beaver Flag as well, flown by early Revolution cruisers, but there are no pictures of it - only written accounts and interpretations off of those writings.  Tonight, if I remember, I'll try to come up with something.

I think it was used pre-revolution so technically it was a British flag

5oEJJXm.jpg

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I think it was used pre-revolution so technically it was a British flag

5oEJJXm.jpg

"The armed ships of New York of [March 1775] are said to have had a black beaver for their device on their flag. This was the device of New Netherlands, and is still seen on the seal of the city of New York."
source: Preble, George Henry. Our Flag. Albany, NY: J. Munsell, 1872. Page 137.

Pre-Declaration is technically "Colonies in Rebellion," but the flag is no British flag.

Might I also suggest @admin that doing things 100% historically creates limits based upon the time frame you are working with. May I suggest slightly breaking from that to add such things as provinces/states. This would expand the flag library giving nations that would have a very small amount of variation, which could hurt sales of the flag dlc, a larger quantity of flags potentially making the desire for these people playing nations where flags are few not justifying in their minds the price tag to actually go out and purchase the flag dlc.