Game-Labs Forum

Flags Flags Flags

Variant of the implemented flag (Compagnies franches de marine) :

Napoleon.jpg.5f7a66892f7be2e562886b701219eff1.jpg

This one (1721- 1722 : Infantry Marine regiment from Switzerland working for the French East India Company, then the French Navy)

CZkt24p.png

Can someone confirm it was ever used as a Naval ensign ?

Edited by LeBoiteux

54 minutes ago, Havelock said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

maybe it (hre flag for sweden) should be done for the german speaking community :) as there was no prussia when most german players went sweden. Maybe on a blue Bavaria background

• Like 5

5 hours ago, admin said:

Full collection (pirates already above)

TGKyiA7.jpg

GFb4Bg9.jpg

B4SSBiS.jpg

7TR8uKt.jpg

Future flag additions will be added to the Naval Action Flags DLC for free and will unlock automatically. 

we know we need to add merchant french and some others but do not have time now. 
Please propose in this topic if we missed anything

Sigh, Scotland flag is awful.  I wont be going Brit.  

7 hours ago, admin said:

maybe it (hre flag for sweden) should be done for the german speaking community :) as there was no prussia when most german players went sweden. Maybe on a blue Bavaria background

It certainly would be a nice gesture but where do we draw the line? People will want to know why HRE can have a custom flag but X, Y and Z Clans not? I like that there are only historically accurate flags in the game so far as it adds to immersion and authenticity. Also what stops HRE from switching nation, if they want the flag so bad? 

I am not completely opposed to historically looking custom flags for clans but then we will need them for all major clans. Clan flags could be another DLC. 

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, admin said:

we know we need to add merchant french 

Summary written in 1766 about the legal texts and the actual habits regarding French naval ensigns in effect during the French monarchy ( warships and merchants), article VII, p. 70-71 : here.  

Inter alia, it sets out the three kinds of ensigns French merchant ships used during this period :

• two legal ensigns :
    • one bleu with a white cross and the King's Arms
    • or 'with any distinguish feature as long as it isn't the plain white ensign' :

SghV5GD.jpgjIGVEwR.jpgbTnnpxN.jpg

• the white ensign, prohibited for the Merchants but largely used in fact  « l’usage du pavillon blanc a toujours continué dans les navires marchands et actuellement on n’y en voit pas d’autre. » (Valin, Commentaires sur l'Ordonnance de la Marine de 1681, 1766)

YsGep29.jpg

(Same info, in French : here.)

Extract reproduced in spoiler :

Pk1itLM.jpg

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, DesMoines said:

miss probably one or two flags for Québec Friends...

the first probably of Québec ==

1000px-Flag_of_the_Patriote_movement_(Lower_Canada)_svg.png.dd253d2cbd2c498c9561d11fe9a1131c.png

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drapeau_du_Québec

And probalby too late in history but cool for Québec players who are playing french nation

Banniere_de_Carillon_svg.png.df3fc8be5d7ca46b6d1b1b7a7a239cbb.png

Banniere de carillon

et enfin ....le plus tardif de tous car introduit qu'à partir de 1900 environ

CarillonFiliatrault_Drapeau.thumb.png.eaf13bd21f5eff6afe776e32cf2700cd.png

Come on, those flags (were they even used as naval ensign ?) are all out of NA timeframe. Maybe a better source for our period concerning naval ensigns in New-France and Martinique (in French with a summary in English), after cross-referencing it with other sources, can be found here.

Moreover, where did you read that the flag below was used as a naval ensign during the Napoleon Empire ? (there are 2 questions here : about its naval use and about the period)

On 7/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, DesMoines said:

French Flags

Under Napoleon

Napoleon.jpg.5f7a66892f7be2e562886b701219eff1.jpg

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

Napoleon's Naval ensign

during his exil at the island of Elba (1814-1815)

06-529857-recadre.jpg

Source (Museum of the Army, The Invalides) : here.

Ensign used by the emperor in exil and his small fleet (only five ships) as he kept his status of sovereign.

For information only here and, a priori, it should not be implemented in game as during this exil, the real French government was a monarchy, the Bourbon Restauration. This Ensign is that of the Principality of Elba. But I thought it was interesting (and historical).

NB : the color is amaranthine (reddish pink). Flag from Cosimo de Medici's coat of Arms. For a complete description of it (in French) : click the link.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

special flag*

the scane flag Swedish flag flown by merchants

m1fyccbwn1d0.gif

Sk%C3%A5ne.jpg

The flag of Skåne, a region in southwestern Sweden, has obtained official status. The flag is red with a Scandinavian yellow cross. This has been used for centuries, but may now only flutter alongside the national flag of Sweden on official occasions.

The Schoonse * flag is the oldest regional flag in Sweden and is popular with the people of the region.

* The Skåne region has been known as Schonen in our language (Dutch) and in our language area for centuries. In the Middle Ages ships of the Hanseatic cities that were on the IJssel were already in that area [Hanzevaart] ( sailing from the Hanze cities of the dutch to the Scandinavian coast area of Denmark and Sweden)
further. They were called the Schonenvaarders.(Dutch)> translated>  [scandinavian sailors]

Edited by Thonys

26 minutes ago, CaptainSparkles said:

I don't understand something . Why DLC ? That's why you lose players , make free content too . For example you put DLC ships like Hercules or others , but flag DLC could be free , maybe if you want to set a costumased flags (clan flags , ecc.) you have to pay .

flags will also be found in loot and missions

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DesMoines said:

Only interesting for you this flag….See not interest...

That's a matter of taste... Some are 'sealed' from any kind of knowledge...

However, it doesn't answer my objective question : why did you propose an Infantry flag (!) and out-of-timeframe flags for France in this thread ? Why did you post an Infantry flag used during the 17-18th century, selling it as a Napoleonic naval ensign ?

Anybody can make mistakes. And however your enthusiasm is nice. 

You could also have answered me (instead of 'trolling' my Napoleonic ensign) : 'Because I'd rather have an Infantry flag on my French ('royal') ships instead of the historical white one'. That would have been a good argument. Then I would have been able to answer that IMHO, with this flag DLC, France finds itself in a sad situation for the 1680-1790 period, deprived of her main flag (not to say her almost only one), only having :

• the ensign of the galleys. Galleys ?
  • the  flag of the colonial Infantry. Infantry ?
  • Louis XVI's ensign

Thx for this debate. Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, CaptainSparkles said:

I don't understand something . Why DLC ? That's why you lose players , make free content too . For example you put DLC ships like Hercules or others , but flag DLC could be free , maybe if you want to set a costumased flags (clan flags , ecc.) you have to pay .

I think we all know that Game Labs is an economic company that has to make money. So I think selling cosmetic items is one of the things that least disturbs the gameplay. Nobody needs the flags to be competitive and nobody has a disadvantage if he does not have this DLC.
In my opinion an ideal solution. Special clan flags, for other masts, why not as an additional commercially available DLC?

Edited by Hellmuth von Mücke
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, DesMoines said:

Objective response

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnies_franches_de_la_marine

Not a napoleonic flag i agree…. But Marine Royale and not simply ...Infantry as you said. 

They are infantry woking for the Navy, meaning watching ports, ships, fighting on ships, in garrisons in colonies (...) but their flag was not a naval ensign fluttering on the mast of a ship, right ? Or did I miss something ? That'a a genuine question.

Excuse me….Bucentaure was not uder Napoleon??? You are sure? Why you speak only of period 1680-1790 ?? Oo

I talk only about the period 1680-1790 because it is the period that causes problem IMHO.

The rest of NA timeframe (1790-1830) seems well-endowed in this DLC with :

• the ensign called 'Naval ensign 1790' by GL for the Revolution (1789-1799)
  • the plain tricolor flag for the end of the Revolution, the Consulate and the Empire (1799-1814/5)
  • the ensign called 'Royal Ensign' by GL for the Bourbon Restauration (white with fleur de lis) : 1815-1830

Pls ..before try to troll all Flags propositions… Make your propositions 

I really don't want to troll, I just want to calmly debate. No harm intended.  I think I've made my propositions in this thread. If I were a Mod or Admin, I would even say that I flooded this thread with my propositions. 🙂

stop think you are better than other… For me you are….Nothing ^^' (sorry...but it s Truth) We aren t on www.navyismylifeandmywife.org ….

To me, you are an important person with a valuable opinion. Have a nice day.

Edited by LeBoiteux

2 hours ago, DesMoines said:

Cool it s a good thing… Have a nice day

Don't forget to add : 'Ok I will stop my fake contributions about historical material and my trolling, I will talk about the content of the debate and be more polite ' 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux
more explicit