Game-Labs Forum
Sir John

Boarding Party Realism - Already suggested?

It seems this has already been suggested, my apologies.  I leave my work here anyway

From the Steam description of Naval Action, I quote "Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side."  

So, I ask that we might see some ballistics improvement.  My suggestion here is a relatively simple one compared to the changes that must eventually come.  As Slim McSauce reminded me, boarding needs an immediate overhaul/complete rework, but I feel this suggestion is small and quick enough to warrant its own topic, separate from the massive boarding suggestion to come.  I would like to see boarding parties give a better target for grape shot than they already do.  

For instance, one captain runs up his boarding prep.  As it runs above 50, his crew becomes more vulnerable to grape from enemy ships (assuming they have the shot - they must have a clear shot through bulwark or directly onto spar deck.)  I would like this to have a more profound effect than it does at the moment.

This change might lead to a number of positives.  First (and foremost,) this suggestion brings another element of realism to the game and works toward fulfilling the promise the devs have made us.  Upon studying the engagement between Speedy and El Gamo, the importance of this feature becomes quite obvious.   Under Thomas Cochrane, Speedy would sheer away from El Gamo as boarding parties massed on the xebec's deck to shred them with her cannons, until Cochrane saw fit to board and carried the day (the odds being originally 5 to 1 against Speedy and her crew.)  

Secondly, there is another way for skillful SoL captains to outmaneuver sterncamping frigates.  In order for the frigates to take advantage of their work, they must brave a period of vulnerability for their crews, and the SoL has one last opportunity to save themselves.  Not overpowered at all, very counterable, just gives the SoL another route.

Boarding parties massed on the deck of Surprise

Tasty for cannons loaded with grape!

Edited by Sir John
  • Like 1

Boarding should be removed until it's not a rock paper scissors turnbased minigame. It completely messes with good ship to ship combat in that you're unable to tack without getting instantly cheese boarded.

Instead it should be replaced with the distance based combat where muskets are being shot, deck guns fired, grenades thrown when in range, and an attack is only possible under normal boarding circumstance. So annoying how boarding is the main way of combat of the time yet its so underrepresented and totally abused for quick and easy "lock down" kills

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Yes, of course, I was simply making this suggestion as a first step towards this.  Boarding needs an immediate re-do, but I felt this was small and quick enough that I could suggest this separate from a massive boarding topic

15 minutes ago, Sir John said:

My suggestion here is a relatively simple one compared to the changes that must eventually come. 

21 minutes ago, Sir John said:

From the Steam description of Naval Action, I quote "Realistic ballistics and cannon performance of the period. Every cannonball is tracked in the air and after it hits the target. One shot can hit the stern, damage the rudder, then hit the cannon carriage, injure crew, ricochet from the floor and hit the opposite side."  

So, I ask that we might see some ballistics improvement.  My suggestion here is a relatively simple one to the changes that must eventually come.  I would like to see boarding parties give a target for grape shot.  

For instance, one captain runs up his boarding prep.  As it runs above 50, his crew becomes more vulnerable to grape from enemy ships (assuming they have the shot - they must have a clear shot through bulwark or directly onto spar deck.)  

This change might lead to a number of positives.  First (and foremost,) this suggestion brings another element of realism to the game and works toward fulfilling the promise the devs have made us.  Upon studying the engagement between Speedy and El Gamo, the importance of this feature becomes quite obvious.   Under Thomas Cochrane, Speedy would sheer away from El Gamo as boarding parties massed on the xebec's deck to shred them with her cannons, until Cochrane saw fit to board and carried the day (the odds being originally 5 to 1 against Speedy and her crew.)  

Secondly, there is another way for skillful SoL captains to outmaneuver sterncamping frigates.  In order for the frigates to take advantage of their work, they must brave a period of vulnerability for their crews, and the SoL has one last opportunity to save themselves.  Not overpowered at all, very counterable, just gives the SoL another route.

image.png.e55cf7503cd49d69dfca31149fbeec2e.png

Boarding parties massed on the deck of Surprise

Tasty for cannons loaded with grape!

Perhaps I misunderstand your suggestion but I’m pretty sure prepped boarders are already more vulnerable to grape fire. With prep up, you’ll take more casualties. 

Sorry I missed that. Waiting for updates has me very impatient and the seemingly constant re-upping of good ideas that should be on the list is mildly frustrating. I wish there was a list of suggestions that have been accepted by the devs. Your idea is spot on but it's been suggested before and hugely discussed over many pages. I thought we were in conformity that boarding should already get redone to this standard, but then again I thought the same about lots of other suggestions that seem to get developer approval but never are heard of until a new thread 3 months later.

11 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Perhaps I misunderstand your suggestion but I’m pretty sure prepped boarders are already more vulnerable to grape fire. With prep up, you’ll take more casualties. 

To what extent? I was unaware that it already has an effect, which makes me wish that this effect was more profound.

1 hour ago, Sir John said:

To what extent? I was unaware that it already has an effect, which makes me wish that this effect was more profound.

I’m afraid I don’t know the numbers/percentages. 

2 hours ago, Sir John said:

@Sir John 

You are absolutely correct. I learned the hard way....

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/21509-“being-prepared…”-and-norfolk’s-hard-lesson/

Norfolk.

• Like 1

Yes there are many suggestions to overhaul boarding like this one, though not so simple they touch on the same thread, a realtime alternative to turn-based boarding.

here's just a few, if you put "marines" in the search bar you'll find many more 
http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/16294-ship-to-ship-musketry-simulation/?tab=comments#comment-308116
http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/25092-new-look-at-boarding/?tab=comments#comment-529839

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1