Game-Labs Forum

How do I set up an alt account?

Sang Noir

Question

@Jean de la Rochelle

If you run into any issues let me know. Using the Family function won’t work at the same time.

Couple of points...

FPS will suffer running both accounts.

Certain types of behavior will have an account banned. Bare this in mind. ALT marks reward farming for instance.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855697559

This was a main use of “Twinks” I took advantage of. And is not an offence. Entering the BATTLE with the ALT however is so be careful and respect other players.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24438-pvp-caribbean-edark-elitedark-clan-recruitment-post/

And further dark use of ALTs can become useful with other PCs...

Norfolk

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

Using alts for PvP is not an offense as long as it's not used for farming.

Yep I tend to set them up in the same nation and have them like this:  Main (Sir Texas Sir), Shallow Water PvP, Crafter, Open world PvP (currently in another nation), Hauler/Mortar Brig.  This way I don't have to constantly change my perks on my main, I have roles for each one that they do.

37 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Using alts for PvP is not an offense as long as it's not used for farming.

You'll know the rules better than I at the moment...

My view towards ALTs is they should be encouraged by GameLabs. This not all players will agree with I know. They offer the easiest way for the company to gain real income without game disruption. Rather than (try to) just ban them out of hand players should offer realistic alternate income streams to compensate.

The main issue is the game mechanic that will allow ALT abuse or manipulation. SPY ALTs are not either of these and are part of the game. These exploits are what needs closing.

Rule Book am now not keen on, its more the in-game mechanic function that needs the change.

A Player with a PvP, a Crafter and a resources Farmer should be a typical style, but just in my opinion.

Norfolk.

Just now, Angelo Morosini said:

Its really sad that the game has gone to alts undermining so many of the mechanics. 

Yes. Sadly many many players cannot take the challenge and must get everything as fast as they can by all means possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Certain types of behavior will have an account banned. Bare this in mind. ALT marks reward farming for instance.

Thank you for the great guide. I read through it carefully. I also searched the forum on how the admins stand towards this issue, so I think I now have a clear idea on what to do and what not. Thanks again for taking the time and writing guides like this!

4 hours ago, Liq said:

Paid sandboxie version lets you run more than 2 Accounts at a time

That's A LOT of alts! 😲😂

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

When folks set up a new account I normally show them this video. 

Thank you for the vid!

26 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Sadly many many players cannot take the challenge and must get everything as fast as they can by all means possible.

I noticed a change in culture about alts, about a year ago there were an open secret for the initiated but now everybody is admitting to owning one.

22 minutes ago, Angelo Morosini said:

It would be good to see the interesting data on how many players the game has who are properly players and how many of the people are alternative users.  

Yea, I wonder of all the players online in peak times how many are really a single user.

• Like 1

@Angelo Morosini

“It’s really sad that the game has gone to alts undermining so many of the mechanics. “

This is the view I believe of many players, however its not the ALT but the Mechanic that undermines the game. This is a hard concept to accept but I personally believe is the truth. Myself and the use of ALTs remain the same as I state in my guide. If they enhance my enjoyment then all well and good. Too easy will stop using them...

The use of ALTs correctly will allow both casual and hardcore PCs to operate within the same environment. Solo players to compete with clans within the same universe. The Pay to Win is NOT an issue unless the Game offers the reward.

The Mechanic is always the Key

I agree with @Banished Privateer where like EvE Online [EvE] you as a client can hold ALTs etc. This through STEAM would be a nightmare to operate. For GL to offer this would be ideal all the same...

Make ALTs harder to use in practice then. This from my “Norfolk nNoob goes Gank-ing” would mean the ALT having to slog through the tutorial PvE system and time plus effort is needed to have the 1x ALT functioning. To have @Liq ALTs it would take a vast amount of time...

ALT Numbers...

“It would be good to see the interesting data on how many players the game has who are properly players and how many of the people are alternative users.

I too would be interested in this figure. Again, I ask players please tell me what is the difference between 1 PC and 4 ALTS against a Clan of 5 players?

Myself with Norfolk nWay was the only real ALT I used and made it available to the entire [ELITE] clan. It was the most valuable assets we had for passing ships or goods across time zones within the clan. This was a management function that should exist within the game but doesn’t. The ALT solved this.

The ELAN or EDARK network used clan ALTs that allowed access to all PORTs and Resources. This helped as a small clan to punch above our weight without cheating.

The View is Perspective...

I and [ELITE] want NA-OW to work and succeed. The Use of ALTs in an MMO like this is a MUST in my opinion. If that is so then the more control over them the better...

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

I noticed a change in culture about alts, about a year ago there were an open secret for the initiated but now everybody is admitting to owning one.

There's a lot of honest players around playing as intended. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jean de la Rochelle said:

How do I set up an alt account and use both at the same time? Do I need a second computer? Can I have both versions of NA open with the same user account? What is the best way to go about?

I would encourage you not to go down the route of cheating with an alt to gain an edge.  Play as intended by the mechanics, good or bad, and let the mechanics change over time to accommodate fair play as much as possible.

There are players who do play alts (...or so it is said) in which the alts do not interact with each other.  Allowing the human player to realize two or more different playstyles.  However, alts that interact we each other through shared resources, trades, etc, provide an advantage to a single character.  That is cheating no matter how you slice it, or no matter how Norfolk twists it, in a game of competition.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, PG Monkey said:

Before steam release we could have 3 characters on one account

This true? So, what 4 servers then gave you 12 PCs?

Could the PCs on the same sever interact with each other in PORT or OW?

N.

@Hethwill

I do believe I and [ELITE] are honest players

Edited by Norfolk nChance

11 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I would encourage you not to go down the route of cheating with an alt to gain an edge.  Play as intended by the mechanics, good or bad, and let the mechanics change over time to accommodate fair play as much as possible.

There are players who do play alts (...or so it is said) in which the alts do not interact with each other.  Allowing the human player to realize two or more different playstyles.  However, alts that interact we each other through shared resources, trades, etc, provide an advantage to a single character.  That is cheating no matter how you slice it, or no matter how Norfolk twists it, in a game of competition.

Oh get over your cheating crap, it's not cheating unless your doing something that breaks the rules.  I have 5 chars right.  4 of those are in the same nation (was 5 until recently) they do nothing that a small clan (all but the crafter is in  the same clan) or group of players in the same nation can do themselves.  I'm just a bit more organized cause I don't have to wait on some one else to log on and do something with one of the chars.  Now my guy that is in another nation isn't spying or doing anything shady, we actually have a very strong alliance with that nation. I have him over there so I can attend fights with them and play more of the game (blame low pop for this and folks grinding nations to death).  I'm not using him to do anything against game rules.  Yes I make ships with my main crafter and he uses those, but that is nothing that two players of two nations can't do themselves.  I sold tons of ships in the past to other nations to support them which again is not against the rules in game to do so.  

By your very definition of cheating your saying clans are cheating cause as they give an advantage over a single solo character/player?

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Yes. Sadly many many players cannot take the challenge and must get everything as fast as they can by all means possible.

At some point into the game (5170 hours here) you kind of found what you are interested in the game. For many others and me it is getting pvp on a regular basis, with as little grind / afk sailing / building management as possible. Basically the desire is to skip hours of doing stuff you find totally boring, while also supporting the devs. I believe @jodgi would agree here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Liq said:

At some point into the game (5170 hours here) you kind of found what you are interested in the game. For many others and me it is getting pvp on a regular basis, with as little grind / afk sailing / building management as possible. Basically the desire is to skip hours of doing stuff you find totally boring, while also supporting the devs. I believe @jodgi would agree here.

8880 hours here (and I still say about 1k of that was me passing out at the keyboard AFK).   I always like to be self supported so I do my own personnel mini clans within a clan.  That way I don't have to depend on others if folks stop logging in or the game goes dead waiting on things like patches or I have a falling out with a clan.  I can easily step away and still play the game.  When I test things for the game I test them as a small clan.  I figure chars are equal to a small clan of 5-10 active players when I do things like crafting and other aspects of the game so I can give feed back on those things.

• Like 1

4,000hrs for Norfolk nChance

311hrs for Norfolk nWay

So small compared to my peers of @Liq or @Sir Texas Sir or @jodgi ...

This shows most of my NA-OW career was ALT free. I totally respect @Jean Ribault point of view and hope he’s read my guide for my opinion. I’m not an ALT fanboy as such but do see the actual need for them in NA-OW. The Guide explains this quite clearly...

GamesLabs will never ban the use of ALTs and this needs to be understood. Only bad ALT behavior will be penalized. This then comes down to the game mechanics...

The Game and its mechanics need to be fully understood before ever using ALTs. This I totally agree with and would caution new players against using them (ALTs) at first. It can only help the main MPC if you understand the game properly.

If @admin and the Dev’s banned the use of ALTs I would stop using mine and instruct [ELITE] players likewise. He won’t ever do this (read the guide) and so what’s left is control.

Control comes from the game mechanic. I genuinely hand on heart don’t believe I’ve ever cheated at Naval Action and happy to be told otherwise.

Norfolk.

40 minutes ago, Liq said:

Because all shipos must be pristine and moduled perfectly. *insert coin to play*

"must get everything as fast as possible." - still remain true, by all means possible.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Because all shipos must be pristine and moduled perfectly. *insert coin to play*

Sounds good to me

if there were dlcs for every ship (1 per day) i'd probably get a few :)

• Like 2