Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sovereign

Boarding Indiaman

So I found this Indiaman afk in the middle of nowhere, boarded him and his brace basically beat every one of my moves. He had no marines and apparently no permanent mods, while I had "Nassau Boarders". I assume it was mainly his advantage in deck hight? The guy remained afk and I eventually had to sink him with cannon fire... no story short of embarassment. Once I unlock my slots, I will try Book of 5 Rings and see if the ladder bonus can fix it. Still seems a bit odd... Did this guy simply have boarding books stacked that reduced his crew casualties and boosted his brace but without marines for some reason?

SMLuWn.jpg

Your muskets and grenades killed more crew normally. You fucked up pushing attack on his brace and losing more crew and additionally losing morale. You could normally win that boarding if you planned better.

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

Your muskets and grenades killed more crew normally. You fucked up pushing attack on his brace and losing more crew and additionally losing morale. You could normally win that boarding if you planned better.

My muskets and grenades had very little effect aswell actually... tried both. Also isn't attack supposed to beat brace? Normally that is what it does for me... hence I was wondering about this one.

From official post explaining the boarding commands:

"

Brace: This command is the default used at the start of boarding and when a previously selected command is no longer available. With “Brace” your crew heads for cover to reduce casualties from ranged attacks and some men fire back. “Brace” is ideal to protect your crew against incoming fire and increase your preparation for other commands.

·         Effective vs “Musket Volley”, “Fire Deck Guns”, (Reduces casualties)

·         Minor effect vs “Fire Grenades”

·         Very Vulnerable vs “Attack/Counter-Attack”

·         Very Little effect vs “Defend” 

"

you also had less man 288 vs 380

if he has the olympic book installed (? he has ) you are the one gets screwed for sure (by great defence)

but also his morale and prep is at  the highest level 

yep.... you are not supposed to win this one on boarding with a big chance

but you did win , probably by the other one being afk

its good you disengaged otherwise he would have slaughtered you by his defence power..and he had many man to spare

you see :   " the captain is fast  asleep , but the men are fighting for their lives " 

so,  never think it is easy....

"greed was your enemy"

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

well it was the best thing he could do ,but he would have lost it if he continued till the last men by numbers.

so he could not have won this one ...in any way. even when afk

Edited by Thonys

24 minutes ago, Thonys said:

well it was the best thing he could do ,but he would have lost it if he continued till the last men by numbers.

so he could not have won this one ...in any way. even when afk

What best thing? Guys, please... He has no marines, no crew advantage and he is pushing attack through brace on bigger ship with reduced attack power. Indiaman doesn't really need any boarding stuff to kill that much crew.

He could 100% win it no problem, by doing Muskets-Grenades-Brace & repeat. 

>Very little effect & winning

>High effect and losing

Next time stern rake opponent before boarding without mods...

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

What best thing? Guys, please... He has no marines, no crew advantage and he is pushing attack through brace on bigger ship with reduced attack power. 

>High effect and losing

the indiaman has more crew and morale more muskets and preparation (he had also the book) and both no marines. 

and yes he could win this if he had stern rake it to equal numbers from the start ,but he did,nt

also:

it is working as intended (it's not a bug )it was greed and no tactical approach

Edited by Thonys

7 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

What best thing? Guys, please... He has no marines, no crew advantage and he is pushing attack through brace on bigger ship with reduced attack power. Indiaman doesn't really need any boarding stuff to kill that much crew.

>High effect and losing

He prob done what I use to do in the past.  Have Barricades and other defensive skills on my trade ship. I actually beat folks in boarding just sitting there and than when they moral and crew went down I got offensive and killed them.  That and back in the old days I use to run gold board mods on an LVG, AFK sail (pretend) until some one tags me, blow the prep wistle at start so they don't hear it.  They rush up thinking I'm AFK without getting good prep to only board me and find out I'm 100% prep with all gold board mods...INSTANT KILL pretty much.  This guy prob had defensive mods and figure he was screwed so blew his whistle and went AFK to do something else.

Like @Banished Privateer said you got greedy and rushed in, you should of raked him and got his crew down before you boarded.

• Like 1

But FYI everyone, he could have won the boarding without stern raking. I would bet that this indiaman didn't have barricades as it has no marines either. Probably only speed stuff. With barricades, he would get slaughtered on attack.

Edited by Banished Privateer

28 minutes ago, Thonys said:

(he had also the book)

What book? Book of five rings? Nope.

7 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

But FYI everyone, he could have won the boarding without stern raking. I would bet that this indiaman didn't have barricades as it has no marines either. Probably only speed stuff. With barricades, he would get slaughtered on attack.

many player just think in the rock paper scissors mentality. Attack beats brace. defend beats attack. Thats the issue here.  Just looking what beats what but not looking at the whole picture that indiaman has deck advantage (making it hard to attack but easy to defend even with brace) + crew advantage. So he will not understand you^^

Edited by z4ys

3 minutes ago, z4ys said:

deck advantage

Actually I do understand... hence why I mentioned it in my OP? I just think it is a bit extreme since he doesn't even have to use defend but only brace and I actually had a boarding mod unlike him...

6 minutes ago, z4ys said:

rock paper scissors mentality

That's sadly what it is... adding modifiers doesn't make it a different principle. I hope they will rework the 1994 2D boarding mini game with a mechanic that can hold up with the quality of the other combat mechanics of NA sooner rather than later...

8 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Yeah, I should have actually just sank him with gun fire in the first place instead of fucking about with boarding but thought rageboarding would be faster... lesson learned, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Actually I do understand... hence why I mentioned it in my OP? I just think it is a bit extreme since he doesn't even have to use defend but only brace and I actually had a boarding mod unlike him...

That's sadly what it is... adding modifiers doesn't make it a different principle. I hope they will rework the 1994 2D boarding mini game with a mechanic that can hold up with the quality of the other combat mechanics of NA sooner rather than later...

Alright so you noticed that deck difference is a huge factor in boarding in a full crew + moral vs full crew + moral scenario?

Boarding has much more layers than the obvious rock paper scissors stuff. But most time we don't notice because we board with advantage.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Real understanding of boarding comes when you board without mods or when you try all of them and see effects of each. I am still surprised many times to how AI performs in boarding as that's unhuman powers they got.

• Like 1