Game-Labs Forum

Confederate Legendary Campaign

LAVA

42 minutes ago, Louis_Davout said:

By curiosity, do you intend to play this whole campaign in one go without replaying any of the battles?

Thanks mate, for the pat on the back. :)

Actually, I do replay battles, not many, but I will replay a battle. I played Antietam twice, in fact. The first time I took my forces and attacked in the North and completely wiped out the Union forces there. But I over committed and I lost everything to the south and had to recapture both objectives. I lost something like 30,000 men and at least a dozen of my brigades were totally destroyed. When I thought it over I felt I had been too aggressive given the amount of Federals on the battlefield, so I replayed it with a much more conservative and defensive posture.

So here it is, Antietam:

• Like 1

What a massacre mate, you held your ground well against the odds. Union kept coming and coming, lots of brigades got wiped out, you made good use of your cavalry by hitting their infantry and artillery later on.

The key here is not to overcommit, keep a good balance and only hit when the opportunity arises. I wonder what i will do, i have won Antietam in my previous campaign but afraid to play the battle now :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LAVA said:

I'm sure you will do well.

How many troops does the intelligence report say you are against?

i am battling as we speak, just fought the first part. I hit them hard at the start and retreated back into the woods, now i deployed my brigades near the bridge. The intelligence report said the Union army was around 77K. So i might face an army of 90000-100000.

The intelligence report warns of 20,000 more men coming in by rail. So, yea, could be 95,000 strong.

They are vulnerable in the North, but you must not over extend. When I started seeing 3 start Union regiments attacking me from the bridge, I knew I was going to take a hit.

It is an excellent and challenging battle actually. Looking forward to seeing you clobber them.

I decided to re-fight Antietam because I believed I could win by attacking...

So... played it 3 times. First overly aggressive, second defensive and now this one. I am an aggressive player by nature and I believe that a more controlled aggressive style was what was necessary to really nail this one on the head.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LAVA said:

I decided to re-fight Antietam because I believed I could win by attacking...

So... played it 3 times. First overly aggressive, second defensive and now this one. I am an aggressive player by nature and I believe that a more controlled aggressive style was what was necessary to really nail this one on the head.

So you are going to continue from this battle? Or the other one? Really impressive work though, to go on full attack in the first phase and continue it throughout the whole battle. You nearly wiped out the Union army there.

Now on to Fredericksburg :)

• Like 1

So... I've fought up to Fredericksburg and my poor army of 45,000 men were attacked by 105,000 Blue Bellies. We won the battle, but I'm having to buy men to keep it at that level. I'm winning at 3 or 4 to 1, but I just can't seem to get more than 45,000 men. Money is not a problem though and my folks are steadily increasing in proficiency. Dunno, could be approaching the end of my campaign... We'll see at Stones River. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

So... I've fought up to Fredericksburg and my poor army of 45,000 men were attacked by 105,000 Blue Bellies. We won the battle, but I'm having to buy men to keep it at that level. I'm winning at 3 or 4 to 1, but I just can't seem to get more than 45,000 men. Money is not a problem though and my folks are steadily increasing in proficiency. Dunno, could be approaching the end of my campaign... We'll see at Stones River. 

No problem. A Reb is worth at least 3 Blue Bellies 👍.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Have you got a video of your Fredericksburg battle? Money is not an issue indeed, i face the same problem. I keep getting stuck at around 50.000 men, i remember that this number will not be enough to get an easy victory at Washington.. many big battles are ahead of us.

Here are my battle results... I'll post the videos of Corinth, Prairie Grove and Fredericksburg tomorrow.

CSA Campaign Losses

Battle                           CSA Losses          USA Losses      USA Missing+

Potomac Fort                  2,466/05                5,337/11             846
Newport News                1,652/02                4,925/00                 0
1st Bull Run*                    7,500/12             23,909/42          2,957
Ambush Convoy                 283/00               1,870/00             308
Stay Alert                          4,085/00             14,769/27          1,419
Shiloh*                              9,471/05              28,449/62                 0
1st Winchester                 3,759/01             12,151/24             553
Cross Keys                        3,690/01             15,149/00                 0
Port Republic                   2,769/00              11,451/50          1,069
Gaines Mill*                      5,626/02             13,063/64             237
Malvern Hill*                  12,467/10             32,040/104        1,190
Cedar Mountain               6,849/03             22,716/48             120
Manassas Depot             5,118/00                7,824/02             327
2nd Bull Run*                 10,337/01            43,360/102         1,482
Chantilly                            5,938/05            18,166/14              111
Weapons Factory            2,010/00               8,526/55                  0
Antietam*                       19,833/14            61,975/122            759
Corinth                               2,947/01           11,234/50                  0
Prairie Grove                     3,799/00           13,586/41                  0
Fredericksburg*             12,469/12           49,981/27              120

Totals                            120,121/74        400,480/553        11,498

K/D Ratio:   3.33

# = men/guns
+ = included in loss numbers
* = Grand Battle

• Like 1

I watched your Fredericksburg battle video on YouTube mate, good win with a heavy cost but still it is a good win. You did better than me, lost fewer casualties and killed more Yanks.
Something tells me that the amount of Federal troops is scripted on Legendary, the Union army in your battle and my battle are exactly the same amount of infantry, cavalry and artillery. No matter how many you kill before Fredericksburg we still got the same amount of Union troops.

I am yet to fight Stones River, and we have around the same amount of troops i think. Maybe you have 4000-5000 less but that is not a big difference.

• Like 1

I bring 5 artillery brigades to Corinth and blast the yanks to a loss of 11,234 men and 50 guns to my casualties of 2,947 men and 1 gun lost. The guns were brought to keep down casualties and get experience for the coming Grand Battle of Fredericksburg.

Corinth:

Things get a little crazy in this battle, but I am able to bring it under control and hammer the Blue Bellies for 13,586 men and 41 guns lost to my 3,799 casualties. The 24 pound howitzer did great work...

Prairie Grove:

My poor little army of 45,000 faces off against 115,000 Yankees. The bloodiest day of my campaign sees me losing 12,469 men, 12 guns and my 2 small cavalry brigades. The Union takes it in the face though with 49,981 losses and 27 guns. Three of my batteries receive a third star, still, the Yankees keep cranking out men and units as I struggle to keep my army viable.

Fredericksburg:

Almost certainly will be buying men for Stone's River...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LAVA said:

Agreed. At Fredericksburg you are going to fight 100,000 men no matter what you do. So yes indeed, the question is... how many at Stones River?

CmjSy1e.jpg

this is what i face at Stones River, i figure your numbers will be around the same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mukremin said:

well that's the thing, it says 45-51K...

Well... sounds pretty good to me. Mine is 52-57K. Probably scales up about 25% to make sure that the Union Army is bigger than the Confederate one. We'll see how many I face.

I wipe out the Yankee Army at Everettsville, though once again I start off a bit disorganized... am not a pretty general but I do like being brutal. The blue coats lose 17,859 men 48 guns to my 6,374 casualties as I also manage to capture a cavalry and infantry brigade. Damn Yankees morale is so high they would rather die than surrender. Note also the disappearance of Union 3 star brigades from the battlefield.

Everettsville:

• Like 1

i still believe you should get recruits instead of artillery, you won't need that much artillery at Stones River. I still can't beat Stones River.. tried multiple times and ways, i tried the fast approach and try the slow approach. Both did not work.

You will need many brigades to cut of the southern Union troops with the North, not to mention the 8 like 750+ cavalry brigades who create havoc at the flanks.

1 hour ago, Mukremin said:

i still believe you should get recruits instead of artillery, you won't need that much artillery at Stones River. I still can't beat Stones River.. tried multiple times and ways, i tried the fast approach and try the slow approach. Both did not work.

You will need many brigades to cut of the southern Union troops with the North, not to mention the 8 like 750+ cavalry brigades who create havoc at the flanks

Where are you having trouble with cutting through the middle? It's always worked fairly well for me in the past, though I'm also not dealing with the oversized brigades that you both are facing. I usually march everyone into the northern set of trees, setup enough of a defensive force to hold off any union attacks, and then leapfrog most of my brigades north along the map edge. Holding the line once the next phase opens up can be a bit tricky if any units from the northern force try to come down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, contact said:

Is it me. Or are there still too many flaws in UG.

The problems with Stones River. Chancellorsville.

Keep in mind they are both playing on Legendary which is arguably not what the game is balanced around. Both battles are very winnable with a variety of strategies on lower difficulties.

Any of the battles with multiple phases can be a bit confusing until you get used to them. The battles are setup to somewhat mimic the historical progression which can result in some disconnect when the player's strategy or success does not line up with history.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Where are you having trouble with cutting through the middle? It's always worked fairly well for me in the past, though I'm also not dealing with the oversized brigades that you both are facing. I usually march everyone into the northern set of trees, setup enough of a defensive force to hold off any union attacks, and then leapfrog most of my brigades north along the map edge. Holding the line once the next phase opens up can be a bit tricky if any units from the northern force try to come down.

I have the feeling the other parts of the map get opened too early. It happens before i even get all my forces in the trees and set a defensive line. Might have to try again.