Game-Labs Forum

Confederate Legendary Campaign

LAVA

I was thinking about doing a Confederate Legendary Campaign and decided to step my toe in. I don't know if I have the time (it's summer and I work in the tourist industry) or inclination (I've played this game to death) but we will see how it goes.

As with my Union Legendary Campaign (which I completed), I will NOT be using the scaling technique. The minimum average Brigade in the ACW was 1,000 men, so I just can't bring myself to create 500 man brigades as I view this as fantasy.

So off we go... the first scenario Battle of Potomac Fort. This battle took me a number of times to win because it is really hard on legendary. I destroy 2 skirmisher units and 1 infantry brigade before assaulting the fort and then when I do; I capture 1 skirmisher unit and 1 infantry brigade. My defense was less stellar as one of my brigades that carry over to the camp was annihilated, but I did capture their Supply wagon and kill the commander. Overall, I received 1,000 reinforcements for the 800+ prisoners, so that more than made up for the loss of one heavily battered brigade.

Potomac Fort:

• Like 5

Defending Newport News I kill 4,925 Yankees to my 1,652 men. A rather nondescript battle, I was looking at a chance to try to turn the Blue Bellies left flank, but never felt the opportunity was right.

Newport News:

I wipe out the Blue Belly Army at 1st Bull Run. The Yanks suffer 23,909  casualties (including 2957 captured - 3 infantry brigades and a supply wagon) and lose 42 guns to my losses of 7,500 men and 12 guns. Across America folks realize this War is going to be a long one....

1st Bull Run:

• Like 3

To be honest, after my Legendary Union Campaign I was thoroughly burned out. It really takes a toll.

And I must say that I do not claim to be a great general and I will replay a battle if I feel it is necessary. Sometimes I am just tired and it doesn't go well. Sometimes, I get interrupted.. in fact, many times, by my family or work. Sometimes I make incredibly stupid mistakes or forget to record. I prefer though to get it right the first time because the AI will adapt to your strategy if you play a battle more than once. So... I do my homework first before plunging in.

I have watched hours and hours of other folks videos to see how they approach different battles, their Camp and OOBs. And there are lots of folks who I really enjoy watching, so I will give them a shout out today with a link to their YouTube Channel:

- Col Kelly https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz07X4_TW985viK4FprqBVw

- Aetius https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEwRYnMw8pyZ6oOf1fow0jQ

- Something Compass https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCweqLiNgOu_9E-xcGL5Rm2w

- thehistoricalgamer https://www.youtube.com/user/thehistoricalgamer

- The History Guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJCJD1tAzTZ1eUUiskH-9w

- HForHavoc https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGd0SZzQKqaTeT4fPrtTxbg

- Benjamin Magnus Games https://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminMagnusGames

Almost everyone of these folks have exponentially more followers than me on YouTube... which speaks very highly of them. I record my games not for fame but because I like to go back and watch how it all went. In almost every video I have made I can watch and say... "there, you messed that up" ... such as running my Cavalry Brigade out of condition at the Potomac Fort and then charging him at the enemy guns, only to be slaughtered. So I use it as a learning experience more than anything else. With luck some folks will actually like my play style, which can be somewhat chaotic but almost always leans towards the brutal.

• Like 1

Got a chance to play Ambush Convoy yesterday and it is pretty standard play. I rush in, grab the goods and beat feet. After the battle I chat a bit about how I am spending my Career Points and my overall army building philosophy. AND... I think I have sorted out my sound problems... we'll see.

Ambush Convoy:

• Like 2

Fought the scenario "Stay Alert" tonight and will post the video tomorrow.

Here is a summary of my results so far:

Battle                       CSA Losses#            USA Losses #         USA Missing+

Potomac Fort               2,466/05                   5,337/11                    846
Newport News             1,652/02                   4,925/00                        0
1st Bull Run*                7,500/12                 23,909/42                 2,957
Ambush Convoy            283/00                    1,870/00                    308
Stay Alert                     4,085/00                 14,769/27                  1,419

Totals                         15,986/19                 50,810/80                  5,530

K/D Ratio:  3.18

# = men/guns
+ = included in loss numbers
* = Grand Battle

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LAVA said:

Fought the scenario "Stay Alert" tonight and will post the video tomorrow.

Here is a summary of my results so far:

Battle                       CSA Losses#            USA Losses #         USA Missing+

Potomac Fort               2,466/05                   5,337/11                    846
Newport News             1,652/02                   4,925/00                        0
1st Bull Run*                7,500/12                 23,909/42                 2,957
Ambush Convoy            283/00                    1,870/00                    308
Stay Alert                     4,085/00                 14,769/27                  1,419

Totals                         15,986/19                 50,810/80                  5,530

K/D Ratio:  3.18

# = men/guns
* = Grand Battle

Impressive  👍

Will be me one day 🤞

I will get there. I think I’ll wear the AL down !

• Like 2

Thanks, Contact. Practice, practice, practice!

Here is the scenario Stay Alert. A bit of a chaotic start but I gain the upper hand and wipe out the Union Army inflicting 14,769 casualties and 27 guns to my losses of 4,085 men. I manage to capture a cavalry brigade, an infantry brigade and 2 (empty) supply wagons. On to Shiloh!

• Like 1

At Shiloh, I pierce the Union Center, take Pittsburgh Landing and crush the Yankee right flank. The Blue Bellies suffer 28,449 casualties and lose 62 guns to my 9,471 losses and 5 guns. Try as hard as I might, none of the Yankees surrender... but I deliver a heavy blow nonetheless.

• Like 1

Very nice, thanks for the replays!

Your losses are comparable with mine, except for "Stay Alert" where have 3,000 losses less and Shiloh where I have 2,000 losses more.

Also... one of the more challenging mechanics in the game are prisoners.

In my new campaign, I will try to focus on capturing 1,000 prisoners in every non-major battle (and probably in several major battles too). Those numbers add up: there are 38 battles in the Confederate campaign, so if I manage to often get 1,000 prisoners I would have ALOT of extra men in the final battles.

And I simply MUST play a new campaign now that the logistic artillery trait is fixed because I love my guns!!!

• Like 1

I'd be interested in seeing your videos.

I don't think you need commentary really. You can put the relevant information in the description of the video.

I'd still post them.

• Like 2

Beauregard Rivers wipes out the Yankee army, causing them 12,151 casualties and 24 guns while my army suffers 3,759 losses and 1 gun at 1st Winchester.

As I approach Gaines Mill, having 2 cavalry brigades already, I'm thinking about creating a cavalry division... we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Beauregard Rivers wipes out the Yankee army, causing them 12,151 casualties and 24 guns while my army suffers 3,759 losses and 1 gun at 1st Winchester.

As I approach Gaines Mill, having 2 cavalry brigades already, I'm thinking about creating a cavalry division... we'll see.

nicely executed battle mate, surrounded the enemy and ousted them from the wooded area. Too bad your unit that took the town got routed by skirmishers, other than that perfectly executed. Looking forward to the next battle and Gaines Mill.

I have 2 cav brigades, one in my first corps and the other in the second. Perhaps it is nice to have one more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mukremin said:

Too bad your unit that took the town got routed by skirmishers, other than that perfectly executed.

He took it for the team. :) I left him there knowing he would eventually rout, but had I not, my right flank which was out in the wind would have been put in danger.

At Cross Keys the Yankees outnumber me 2 to 1 and keep a sustained attack on my defensive position. The Blue Bellies receive 15,149 casualties to my 3,690 losses and 1 gun.

Not only were we heavily outnumbered but the Yank army consists of all 2 star brigades.

Cross Keys:

I need to take back the initiative here or I'm going to get rolled soon...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LAVA said:

At Cross Keys the Yankees outnumber me 2 to 1 and keep a sustained attack on my defensive position. The Blue Bellies receive 15,149 casualties to my 3,690 losses and 1 gun.

Not only were we heavily outnumbered but the Yank army consists of all 2 star brigades.

Cross Keys:

I need to take back the initiative here or I'm going to get rolled soon...

Very nice victory mate, i mean it. Your hit and run tactic worked very well, you hit them very good at the river crossings there. It was a very good move to lure them towards the opposite side of the river. Excellent use of skirmishers to uphold the line and hit the enemy hard. Top Job!

• Like 1

At Port Republic I demolish the Union Army. There casualties are 11,451 men and 50 guns to my 2,769 losses. I lose 2 valuable commanders though....

In this video I prepare my army for Gaines Mill in the Camp. The video is designed to give viewers an idea of how I view the campaign, prepare my troops to fight future battles. It gets a bit long at the end as I have to decide whether to buy an officer using my reputation... but I needed time to think, so sorry for the long delay.

• Like 1

At Gaines Mill I nearly wipe out the Yankee army, but run out of time. The Blue Bellies suffer 13,063 casualties and 64 guns to my 5,626 losses and 2 guns. Had I pushed a little harder I could have completely destroyed their army. An opportunity lost... damnit!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LAVA said:

At Gaines Mill I nearly wipe out the Yankee army, but run out of time. The Blue Bellies suffer 13,063 casualties and 64 guns to my 5,626 losses and 2 guns. Had I pushed a little harder I could have completely destroyed their army. An opportunity lost... damnit!

well pulled of victory general! I basically take the same route as you, flanking their right flank. Only difference is you waited for all your troops to be ready for a full assault. This has an advantage, all the Union troops and reinforcements gather at one point for them to be surrounded and annihilated ( unlucky time ran out ). One disadvantage is that the Union with that amount of troops can be very dangerous in counter attack. You managed it well, and now have a lot of cash and reserves to bolster your ranks.

Wish me luck on Gaines Mill :D

• Like 1

Well... one of the few times I didn't wipe out the Yankee Army. :(

I didn't play it very well and kept throwing my people into impossible positions trying to keep up the pressure.

You can do a lot better than that.

I have finished playing Malvern Hill and Cedar Mountain and will publish the videos tomorrow. Here are my stats up to this point:

Battle                        CSA Losses#         USA Losses#         USA Missing+

Potomac Fort                2,466/05                5,337/11                846
Newport News              1,652/02               4,925/00                     0
1st Bull Run*                  7,500/12            23,909/42              2,957
Ambush Convoy               283/00              1,870/00                 308
Stay Alert                        4,085/00           14,769/27               1,419
Shiloh*                            9,471/05           28,449/62                       0
1st Winchester              3,759/01           12,151/24                   553
Cross Keys                     3,690/01           15,149/00                       0
Port Republic                 2,769/00           11,451/50               1,069
Gaines Mill*                    5,626/02           13,063/64                 237
Malvern Hill*                 12,467/10          32,040/104             1,190
Cedar Mountain             6,849/03          22,716/48                   120

Totals                            60,617/41       185,829/440               8,699

K/D Ratio: 3.06

# = men/guns
* = Grand Battle

Once again I tried to wipe out the Union army in a Grand Battle, this time at Malvern Hill. Perhaps, I need to be a bit less aggressive...

• Like 1

I seek to once again annihilate the Yankee army and the battle turns into a blood bath. Though I capture 1 brigade and 4 supply wagons, at least 4 brigades escape as I inflict 32,040 casualties and 104 guns on the Blue Bellies, but lose 12,467 men and 10 guns in the process. My bloodiest battle to date.

I wipe out the Union Army at Cedar Mountain causing them 22,716 casualties and 48 guns to my 6,849 losses and 03 guns. My army is pretty tattered though and I am woefully short on cash.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LAVA said:

I seek to once again annihilate the Yankee army and the battle turns into a blood bath. Though I capture 1 brigade and 4 supply wagons, at least 4 brigades escape as I inflict 32,040 casualties and 104 guns on the Blue Bellies, but lose 12,467 men and 10 guns in the process. My bloodiest battle to date.

I wipe out the Union Army at Cedar Mountain causing them 22,716 casualties and 48 guns to my 6,849 losses and 03 guns. My army is pretty tattered though and I am woefully short on cash.

impressive mate, you killed like 50.000 Union troops in two battles. However you took a heavy beating too in Malvern Hill.. you have to make a decision on what is best, wipe the enemy out at a high cost or stay a bit alert and inflict heavy casualties without that high losses. It will be getting tougher now to strengthen your army, luck the depot mission is up so you wont have to fight with your own army.

I really liked the tactic at Malvern Hill where you surrounded the Union and made them fight on like 3/4 fronts and your cavalry really made the difference in harassing and taking out the artillery

Good luck general! I have yet to fight Malvern Hill.

• Like 2

True enough... I have worn my men ragged. Promised a brutal campaign.

After the depot mission I will probably have to use my Reputation to buy money. I have the troops... I just can't arm them all.

• Like 2