Game-Labs Forum

'Poltava' 1712 (Replica)

Wind

yU5Mh-22BPSEcpu0T5IF_NUpR3dlGNVp6su4gvZN

ST. PETERSBURG, May 27. /TASS/. The Poltava, a replica of Russia’s first 54-gun battleship of the same name built in the Peter the Great times, was floated out in St. Petersburg on Sunday.

"Russia’s glorious naval victories were forged at Petersburg’s shipyards. The 54-gun battleship Poltava was the first to be built at the Admiralty Shipyards. Now, 300 years after that, we decided to make a replica of that legendary ship in a show of respect. The ship was named after Russia’s glorious victory over Sweden in the Battle of Poltava. History of the Poltava ship is a glorious page in history of the Russian Navy. It is a legendary ship among much more other legendary ships," CEO of Russia’s gas giant Gazprom Alexei Miller said at a floating-off ceremony.

"We see a unique ship - it is a full-scale replica of Russia’s first battleship that was built according to the design and with personal participation of our great Emperor Peter I," said Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy Vladimir Korolyov.

The Poltava, Russia’s first battleship, was floated out at Petersburg’s Admiralty in 1712. The design was drawn by Czar Peter the Great. The ship took part in the Great Northern War between Russia and Sweden and was operational till 1725 to be disassembled in the 1730s when it went obsolete.

Detailed info:

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/12395-replica-poltava-1712-russian-ship-of-the-line/&

More photos:

xY5XYrA8uck.jpg.89a290b59f51a0c4b807992e

N2YdY-bV-gI.jpg.dc51a5a8806554a7ad083152

xJ7f9WMxoMw.jpg.2968a8ac1b8ed371ebb0affb

Edited by Wind
  • Like 10

On 6/21/2018 at 2:20 PM, Wind said:

Russia’s first battleship that was built according to the design and with personal participation of our great Emperor Peter

Years after reading his biography i am still in awe of the man who journeyed to the west and got his hands dirty learning from the most humble ones, bringing his skills and knowledge back for the benefit of his country. I hope i live to see a president that deserves to be called "the great"in any of the countries i live in.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

10 hours ago, CaptainSparckles said:

It's soo beautiful. Only Russians and Spanish could make beautiful ships .

Really? :P I would love to disagree. In my opinion the Dutch built the most beautiful ships by far and cast the most beautiful bronze guns. However, realistically, there was not much difference between the ship designs in the 18th to 19th centuries. You must know that Peter the Great traveled to both England and Holland to gain vital shipbuilding knowledge. Himself working in shipyards in those countries.