Game-Labs Forum

Patch 25: Open world user interface update.

admin

6 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Admiralty connections only gives 5 ship slots instead of 10 as described.

Can i just say that I am highly against this form of DLC :/.

and 5 extra building slots? God damn. At least it doesn't give extra outpost slots.... borderline p2w again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teutonic said:

and 5 extra building slots? God damn. At least it doesn't give extra outpost slots.... borderline p2w again.

Building slots should not make that much difference as the limitation will be labour hours to harvest them. Plus with the current game discounted price it only costs £1 more to get another copy of the game for an alt as compared to buying Admiralty Connection.

• Like 3

Admiralty Connections is well done, especially with the update for crafting quality. Extra outposts would be a massive no-no.

Both imported ships DLC are for collector's, definitely.

Master Forger is a must :); if nothing more just for name change after game release. ( testing phase can simply create new character with new name )

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

If this is not adjusted it will possible bring pump mods in as more useful.

Stacking pumps was already a cool thing, if you never tested :)

Not meta so guess not many did.

Was rather funny to say the least.

10 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

You could have an alt that does the same thing. This is actually the one dlc I'm happy with. More convenient than multiple accounts.

I'm sad that Admiralty connections didn't include outpost slots. My outpost situation changed after patrol missions, I have trouble keeping supplied while at the same time having access to all patrol mission freeports. I have to muck about with alts to stay comfortable.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

At least it doesn't give extra outpost slots.... borderline p2w again.

People are already asking for that... I don't think the current DLC is hard p2w yet but with additional outpost slots it would certainly cross the line in my book. You can rotate buildings or work with your friends / clan, you can have up to 20 ships already which is plenty and more warehouse space is a nice bonus but not pay2win in my opinion. 

But outpost slots? Should be the same for everyone. I think people don't even realize the advantage of it... or maybe they do?

14 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

At least it doesn't give extra outpost slots.... borderline p2w again.

1 minute ago, Sovereign said:

but with additional outpost slots it would certainly cross the line in my book.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Extra outposts would be a massive no-no.

I have a friend who doesn't understand why this is even remotely close to a problem. Please explain, slowly...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Patrol Missions should not need outposts, but be open as "fleet practice"...

You know I'd love to click into the patrol mission from port, but I don't think that's in line with the goal to integrate the fight club with the OW.

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

I have a friend who doesn't understand why this is even remotely close to a problem. Please explain, slowly...

With the advent of teleports ( after we lived many many months without them with no problems, we didn't have buildings and many crafters were happy because they were a class on their own, but i digress... ) the number of outposts became a gameplay rule to control fast operational movements across the map.

Given we still have the teleports in, I believe the ruleset of outpost limitation is still a balancer.

The system cannot know your intentions, or mine. So what for you can simply be a outpost for patrols ( there's 5 patrol zones, we have 8 outposts ) for Conquest clanwars can be a backdoor for a zerg.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

You know I'd love to click into the patrol mission from port, but I don't think that's in line with the goal to integrate the fight club with the OW.

The OW club thing is the "ability to chance encounter in the OW" whatever nature of enemy ship or cargo.

The "roleplay" thing is since a while been impossible to achieve as there's no way to deny trade or cargo ( everything crucial is in zones ).

So yes, why not... at least the battles would be perfectly balanced and LIMITED to the proper rates.

35 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I'm wondering about this myself.

So...let me see.  If I buy a second copy of the game I get to have extra outposts AND exploit enemy ports.  This has been P2W for some time I and I have run into several brand-new players who are already talking about their alts.  And as a single-game player I am stuck at the outposts I have.  The notion that new outposts via DLC is somehow bad P2W vs alts, which are fine, is just silly.  More outposts vs DLC just helps level the playing field vs the alts.

If we are going to continue baking alt incentives into the game design it is time to move on.  They break basic economic processes in the game for non-alt players.  The airlock in the contracts for some of the resources used in upgrades is the most obvious example of this.

You are going to have to explain this VERY slowly indeed.

Edited by Marcus Corvus

7 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Being able to purchase more outpost spots allows players (and in particular, clans) to have a significant advantage on the map and in conquest with a "be everywhere at once" type of response.  Your standard player who did not purchase the expanded outpost spots is at a steep disadvantage.  Basically with the swipe of a credit card a player can have significantly better map presence vs a player who did not.  This is P2W. 

Buildings and dockspace can be achieved by having an alt account, so the P2W damage is easily mitigated.  One cannot achieve the same results with a 2nd character in terms of outposts.

The ship DLC is pay to win also, but it's "less" damaging if those ships continue to stay out of port battles.  I hope they do.

Personally I'm not really a fan of any of these DLCs, it's a cash grab to ensure they've got even more of our money before the game has been released (if ever).  One could say that we're helping to fund development and while that might be true, let's not forget that we've already pre-funded development by pre-purchasing an early access game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Being able to purchase more outpost spots allows players (and in particular, clans) to have a significant advantage on the map and in conquest with a "be everywhere at once" type of response.  Your standard player who did not purchase the expanded outpost spots is at a steep disadvantage.  Basically with the swipe of a credit card a player can have significantly better map presence vs a player who did not.  This is P2W. 

Buildings and dockspace can be achieved by having an alt account, so the P2W damage is easily mitigated.  One cannot achieve the same results with a 2nd character in terms of outposts.

I get it. Though it also sounds like more pvp for the RvR dudes (shrugs).

6 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Personally I'm not really a fan of any of these DLCs, it's a cash grab to ensure they've got even more of our money before the game has been released (if ever).  One could say that we're helping to fund development and while that might be true, let's not forget that we've already pre-funded development by pre-purchasing an early access game.

If I look pragmatically at it and compare my funding of the free to play WoT and NA, I would say I haven't funded shit with my puny purchase three years ago. I'm more than happy to pay for useful stuff and look forward to buying even more useful bigger ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

If this is not adjusted it will possible bring pump mods in as more useful.

I didn't want to say this aloud, but I already have an unsinkable Vic in docks... That's kind of a lame meta :)

34 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Pretty much what @Hethwill already said. It is a balancer to limit instant access to all regions of the map, which in return adds depth and strategy to conquest / RvR and trading.

So captain A has the DLC and acess to maybe 10-20 outposts for PvP, RvR and trading while captain B is limited to 8 without it? Actually every direct advantage that you can not aquire ingame is de facto pay2win. 

I am not against more outpost slots, as long as they remain somewhat limited.. I am against excluding peole who only own the base game. I do want the devs to get as much cash coming in as possible but I also hate pay2win and want NA to have as many players as possible.

I got two good friends of mine into the game but they quit due to lack of content and I was trying to get them back into the game. Well guess what? The introduction of DLC's turned them away for good and they said they probably won't give it another shot. Moral of the story: I love the game and it is worth every cent and more but we should not forget that we are talking about a EA niche game for 40 bucks that has a massive OW to fill here and the fact that not everyone has a raging boner for the age of sail.

My conclusion would be: If having the additional outposts in the DLC is not a problem, not having them shouldn't be one either... The advantages the DLC gives in its current form are worth the money compared to the base game.

Edited by Sovereign

This is so, so bad... 😕

If they needed some more cash, why they just wouldnt sell cosmetics?

Some decals or symbols on sails, some paint schemes for sails/hull.

No. They had to give P2W...

Just wait for next DLC - "Great Strategist: Allows You to get 20% more BR into the battle then original limit" 😕

So disappointed...

1 minute ago, vazco said:

I don't see how having 1-2 outposts more would make a difference in balance. It's much less disturbing than eg. disproportion of number of players between nations and clans. 

Yes, I think 2 more slots would be fine but not +8 or something like that ( pretty much what I expected ). But then again, why not give everyone 2 more slots then? I think the DLC is packed enough as is...

22 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

With the advent of teleports ( after we lived many many months without them with no problems...

Oh, that time was the worst! I remember sailing around growing more and more mad at the pointless time wasting. I remember crying, nagging, bitching and moaning about character teleports. You may put up a picture of me and throw darts at it.

20 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

The OW club thing is the "ability to chance encounter in the OW" whatever nature of enemy ship or cargo...

Please explain, I don't get it.

So yes, why not... at least the battles would be perfectly balanced and LIMITED to the proper rates.

No quarrel from me there, but I need to remind you of the goal to keep everything in the OW.

17 minutes ago, Marcus Corvus said:

...If we are going to bake alt incentives into the game design it is time to move on...

Firstly: The alt incentive got baked into NA the moment stuff got rare, even before player production. We used alts to vacuum iron out of Mexico during  the "iron crisis".

Secondly: Show me a sandbox game where alts don't give an advantage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

Well guess what? The introduction of DLC's turned them away for good and they said they probably won't give it another shot.

I also have a bunch of anecdotes that reinforce my opinions.