Game-Labs Forum

Trader Ships - cargo slots vs total weight

melarky

Question

A relative newb to NA. Reading thru several threads regarding trader ships I see there is a lot of interest in the number cargo slots. Some poster commented that a particular boat had 15 slots but he wanted 25. Why are these important? I have been doing a lot of trading using various trader vessels and so far have only been concerned with max capacity of the hold.

Am I missing something?

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, melarky said:

A relative newb to NA. Reading thru several threads regarding trader ships I see there is a lot of interest in the number cargo slots. Some poster commented that a particular boat had 15 slots but he wanted 25. Why are these important? I have been doing a lot of trading using various trader vessels and so far have only been concerned with max capacity of the hold.

Am I missing something?

1 slot represents a good

a ship with 15 slots has 15 different types of goods

but there are much more different types of goods to trade 

that particular captain wanted more slots for more different types of goods to have in the hold

OK Thanks - I've usually just filled the hold up to the gills with one good. Occasionally two. Sounds like in my case, the slots don't make any difference? They don't help me squeeze in any more stuff?

Since I do a lot of trading, I do use the hold optimize perk. Is there anything else that would help get more into the hold? I have to say after using trader brigs for a while, I was very disappointed to see the LGV only had a bit more hold space. A lot of my runs are shallow water so an Indiaman doesn't work. Would be a very cool feature to be able to off-load from the deep water traders using a cutter or something like that. Yes it would take time, but it's my time. It would also be a great opportunity for pirates to attack!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, melarky said:

Am I missing something?

One other thing: extra slots in your warehouse or clan warehouse are expensive. Some keep trader ships in port and use them only for storage. If you’re storing things like mods and books that have little weight, the more slots in the ship the better.

• Like 1

I'm just buying and turning it over as quick as I can. Usually in the same run. The only time I stash in a warehouse is if I stumble across the lowest price in OW somewhere. But then I'm not trading the crafting items.

BTW how do you get slots in a warehouse?