Game-Labs Forum
melarky

Firezone Width

Relative newb to NA and just joined the forum so please excuse me if I pepper you with questions. Simple stuff for you guys I'm sure. Here's another one.

When I watch YouTube tutorials and they're firing their guns, I typically see the firezone image start out wide on a target and then get smaller & smaller. Almost to a point.

My firezone never does this. I've tried changing the range but it never seems to get much smaller than the width of the target. Is there something else to do to make the zone get smaller? Probably part of the reason my gunnery is so poor. Kinda hard to hit the barn door if the sights are showing me the whole farm.

100m unlocked fire is the tightest convergence you can get. At 100m all shots will land at 1 point. You can also used unlocked fire which will tighten depending on your range and how close to the water you're shooting.

Often people use unlocked fire for generally, locked if you want all balls to hit perpindicular reducing chance of bounce, or 100m for close range demasting. Play around with it a bit more, it sounds like you're only using locked fire zone which is why your shots aren't converging.

28 minutes ago, melarky said:

I guess a few test shots at a sinking ship isn't considered bad manners.

You should find immediately by switching between the fire modes which one does what you've seen on videos. Sorry I just don't know what else to tell you. What you describe is unlocked firemode:auto. Between that is locked firemode (guns do not converge at all) and locked firemode:100m (guns converge at 1 point @ 100m)

Hope that's of more help.

Edited by Slim McSauce

25 minutes ago, melarky said:

Sure wish this platform had a gunnery practice feature. I'll try each mode and pay closer attention.

Practice is something we could all use every once and a while.

nice profile pic btw

not sure if its the total firing width of the cannons you mean or for each cannon, you can think about it as recoil, when you have done one shot or moving the cannons you have to re focus, thats the whitest field you see when it starts out wide and moves to the center. The other is what Slim McSauce says the total width of the firing area

If you want free practice try the tutorial once you complete a section you can re do it at any time. If your in a larger ship you will often want to focus your guns inward so use unlocked sector focus (R key default). There is a lot of different situations where you will want to use different fire modes but most commonly locked and unlocked will be just fine. Some of the more fancy things may require you to use unlocked 250/100m  IE the super cool one broadside demasts.

come on @z4ys

Get this in a guide and we'll push it on STEAM and into FORUM Guides...

More players need to see this fella

Norfolk nPRagent

Edited by Norfolk nChance

13 minutes ago, melarky said:

Jodgi - I have seen that but I don't see much difference between them in the display.

There isn't. Projected shows your aim as it narrows and becomes more accurate.