Game-Labs Forum

Le Requin Testing and Feedback

2 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

The Jamaica one was a mate of mine.

And a good one. Also in a lot of other ships.

We got some one the commonwealth xebecs the same day we want to help jamaica when I escaped your encirclement in my privateer.

I think people want battles to last 15 minutes and can't be arsed for 90 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

We got some one the commonwealth xebecs the same day we want to help jamaica when I escaped your encirclement in my privateer.

I think people want battles to last 15 minutes and can't be arsed for 90 minutes.

We gave up with you only because as soon as you can escape upwind on a faster Privateer, there's nothing that a Requin can do to catch.
Being to really used to stronger upwinder enemy... we did a bit of a mess during the start of the battle (I am sure - I think about it the seconds I was doing the error - I turned downwind, leaving the gauge on you to fire a mid-crappy chain broadside... to much used to fight square rigged).

5 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but how can you know the test was done in an unbiased way? 

I don't know @Hethwill the Harmless and I don't recall ever sailing with him or even against him, but I do follow the forums closely and I do watch Global and Help chat.

We can't know whether or not he tested in an unbiased way but based on all I've seen on the forums and in game, he seems to genuinely want to improve the game for all. He's passionate about the game being a fun and a good, complex game, not just one where he always wins.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Was rigged shock to 76% on the opening and had to pass a second xebec in a slalom down and then finally upwind, was a good spread.

Silly positional spawn is silly :) 

WYSIWYG RoE please.

Mine was the shocking broadside. I was correctly upwind. I did the mistake of turning downwind following you to try a second broadside. On the contrary I had to keep the gauge and wait a better position. My error and you smartness. o7 Sir

PS: you know that less then 15% would understand your and my post, right?

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

So, some more feedback:

Tonight I dueled [EDIT: fought] @Rabman's carronade Requin with my long-cannon NavyBrig. My ship was Teak/White Oak/Fast with Cartagena/Light Ship Hammocks/French Rig Refit/Northern Carpenters. I was fitted with Art of Ship Handling, Steel Toolbox, Planking, Boarding Axes, and Book of Five Rings.  I don't know what Rabman was fitted as, but he had a pretty decent crew buff and didn't feel too sturdy when broadsiding him.

I'm no pro in shallow ships, and I wasn't in a dueling build, but it was a fun fight nonetheless. And I think I'm still "better than the average noob," even when I'm out of my 'element' and in the bumper boats. Rabman is certainly a good player too, so perhaps we can call this "roughly even" captain skill.

Now, a bit of backstory is required here. I was tagged after we won a PB, and I couldn't make it to port in time. I asked if they (5 enemy) would give me a 1v1. They were kind enough to do so. Toward the end of the fight, just as Rabman was sinking, I was offered a choice: sink him or escape. I wanted to keep my NavyBrig, but ultimately decided to take what I had (bird in the hand, and all that, so I was sunk). Overall a fun little brawl though. I'll give a "play-by-play" in a moment. Here are two screenshots:

DC938E9A55BE0C7AC782C396E8832B2B0E3F0C52

just before the end ^

680A6DDF42C9378C18E8275C792BE10B5A81883A

The End.^

So the battle started, I had been chained to about 92% sails. Hull was in perfect shape. I threw one broadside of chain into the Requin while he worked on my hull with his carronades. Then I began trying to dismast him. He was stern raking and also taking shots at my hull when I wasn't angled enough to bounce. His did the proper thing and repaired *just* before I would have gotten his mast, so I had to shoot it a number of times again to make it fall, but his repair brought him back to around 60%. 

At this point, I repaired hull and we both just shadowed each other, him upwind of me while we waited on our respective cooldowns (shoutout to unlimited repairs #content) <--[sarcasm there]. Then when we re-engaged, I went for masts again, while also taking shots at his hull when I could. This weakened his hull and eventually his foremast fell again. This time I was able to stick with him, even as he repaired his mast again. The Requin chained me, at some point here, to about 70ish%, making maneuvering very difficult for me. At one point, he nearly pitted me around into the wind to board, but I was able to pop a sail repair just in time and turn out of it.

Knowing he'd used another sail repair and would be on cooldown for a bit, I began focusing hull. I discovered that whatever build he was, couldn't bounce shots as well as the Requin's I'd sailed. I was able to fire on his bow and remove HP from both sides, and center bar too. So I proceeded to get into a "turn fight" with him while slowly chipping away at his HP. Only instead of fighting for the wind, as I'm used to, I was fighting to keep from having the wind (meaning letting him get downwind of me to push me upwind and board). This was the most difficult part, one slip up and he's on my stern and pitting me upwind to board and its game over.

His carronades were very painful, but my long sixes with double were pretty rough on his ship too. I managed at one point to get myself "stuck" on his bow, where I could throw a whole broadside into him, but he could only use maybe half/one-third of his broadside. At the end, I got the final shots in and at one point he had zero side HP and zero structure, but he was repairing and didn't sink. It was around this time that we declared the duel over and I was offered the choice to sink Rabman or escape. I made my choice to try to continue to sink him, but was unable to do so.

Good fight though, I enjoyed it and I hope Rabman did too, he fought well. o7

So, from this it is once again shown that a 1v1 between reasonably equally skilled players 1 Requin vs 1 [other shallow ship] is winnable for either side. Also, some Requin builds aren't as bouncy as others (in the PB I'd just left, there was a Requin with 25% center bar and no side HP bouncing shots from long sixes at 250m and nearly 90° angle).

So, do I still think Requin is broken and needs the same nerfs that I've written (at least two) walls of text about? Yes. Yes I do. But I think its important that people not forget, you can still beat them, its just not easy and they have the option to escape from you at any time if you don't remove their masts (but you *may* depending on your ship, have that same option, just by sailing downwind).

Edited by William Death
I changed 'dueled' to 'fought,' since I doubt either of us were in our 'dueling' ships for this. I know I would have set up a bit differently if fighting a Requin was my intention.
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, William Death said:

So, some more feedback:

Tonight I dueled [EDIT: fought] @Rabman's carronade Requin with my long-cannon NavyBrig. My ship was Teak/White Oak/Fast with Cartagena/Light Ship Hammocks/French Rig Refit/Northern Carpenters. I was fitted with Art of Ship Handling, Steel Toolbox, Planking, Boarding Axes, and Book of Five Rings.  I don't know what Rabman was fitted as, but he had a pretty decent crew buff and didn't feel too sturdy when broadsiding him.

I'm no pro in shallow ships, and I wasn't in a dueling build, but it was a fun fight nonetheless. And I think I'm still "better than the average noob," even when I'm out of my 'element' and in the bumper boats. Rabman is certainly a good player too, so perhaps we can call this "roughly even" captain skill.

Now, a bit of backstory is required here. I was tagged after we won a PB, and I couldn't make it to port in time. I asked if they (5 enemy) would give me a 1v1. They were kind enough to do so. Toward the end of the fight, just as Rabman was sinking, I was offered a choice: sink him or escape. I wanted to keep my NavyBrig, but ultimately decided to take what I had (bird in the hand, and all that, so I was sunk). Overall a fun little brawl though. I'll give a "play-by-play" in a moment. Here are two screenshots:

DC938E9A55BE0C7AC782C396E8832B2B0E3F0C52

just before the end ^

680A6DDF42C9378C18E8275C792BE10B5A81883A

The End.^

So the battle started, I had been chained to about 92% sails. Hull was in perfect shape. I threw one broadside of chain into the Requin while he worked on my hull with his carronades. Then I began trying to dismast him. He was stern raking and also taking shots at my hull when I wasn't angled enough to bounce. His did the proper thing and repaired *just* before I would have gotten his mast, so I had to shoot it a number of times again to make it fall, but his repair brought him back to around 60%. 

At this point, I repaired hull and we both just shadowed each other, him upwind of me while we waited on our respective cooldowns (shoutout to unlimited repairs #content) <--[sarcasm there]. Then when we re-engaged, I went for masts again, while also taking shots at his hull when I could. This weakened his hull and eventually his foremast fell again. This time I was able to stick with him, even as he repaired his mast again. The Requin chained me, at some point here, to about 70ish%, making maneuvering very difficult for me. At one point, he nearly pitted me around into the wind to board, but I was able to pop a sail repair just in time and turn out of it.

Knowing he'd used another sail repair and would be on cooldown for a bit, I began focusing hull. I discovered that whatever build he was, couldn't bounce shots as well as the Requin's I'd sailed. I was able to fire on his bow and remove HP from both sides, and center bar too. So I proceeded to get into a "turn fight" with him while slowly chipping away at his HP. Only instead of fighting for the wind, as I'm used to, I was fighting to keep from having the wind (meaning letting him get downwind of me to push me upwind and board). This was the most difficult part, one slip up and he's on my stern and pitting me upwind to board and its game over.

His carronades were very painful, but my long sixes with double were pretty rough on his ship too. I managed at one point to get myself "stuck" on his bow, where I could throw a whole broadside into him, but he could only use maybe half/one-third of his broadside. At the end, I got the final shots in and at one point he had zero side HP and zero structure, but he was repairing and didn't sink. It was around this time that we declared the duel over and I was offered the choice to sink Rabman or escape. I made my choice to try to continue to sink him, but was unable to do so.

Good fight though, I enjoyed it and I hope Rabman did too, he fought well. o7

So, from this it is once again shown that a 1v1 between reasonably equally skilled players 1 Requin vs 1 [other shallow ship] is winnable for either side. Also, some Requin builds aren't as bouncy as others (in the PB I'd just left, there was a Requin with 25% center bar and no side HP bouncing shots from long sixes at 250m and nearly 90° angle).

So, do I still think Requin is broken and needs the same nerfs that I've written (at least two) walls of text about? Yes. Yes I do. But I think its important that people not forget, you can still beat them, its just not easy and they have the option to escape from you at any time if you don't remove their masts (but you *may* depending on your ship, have that same option, just by sailing downwind).

Nice fight and a balanced report.

It's very similar to what I have found.

Requins fitted out as full boarders are not as tough to beat as ones fitted out for shooting. The build a make a big difference.

I really dont have much trouble fighting them as some of this threads posters ?

3 hours ago, Flash Jack said:

Nice fight and a balanced report.

It's very similar to what I have found.

Requins fitted out as full boarders are not as tough to beat as ones fitted out for shooting. The build a make a big difference.

I really dont have much trouble fighting them as some of this threads posters ?

A requin (reason that something should be balanced but not too hard nerfed) is always a boarder. REally: she has not other uses (aside fast transport for books).

She has not the toughness to got side to side even against a Rattle. And she's not so super-armed (yes. 32 carros. You saw that's happen when a carros ship fight a longs one missing being faster in any direction)
So she's an highly specialized ship. Especially raiding requins are built for boarding (full or almost).

13 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I dont know his preferences, but he wanted to fight a cannon duel instead of boarding. The later would give him the victory quite fast.

If you read William Death, he was well aware of the risk and did his best to counter it.

Moreover. If you let me know how you think to push pull kill a smart brig (and very smart one in this case) with a Requin, I'm very interested.

PS: never noticed that Requins never go for boarding each other nor against 7th rates? and sometimes not even against smart 6th rates?

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

3 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I dont know his preferences, but he wanted to fight a cannon duel instead of boarding. The later would give him the victory quite fast.

Oh he tried to push me upwind to board, as I said. But he couldn't "pit" me into the wind to make it happen. It is extremely difficult, nearly impossible, to pit someone clever upwind to board them 1v1 if they don't want to be boarded. If he had demasted me, or chained me much more and then managed to get next to me, he probably could have done it. But I could outrun him straight downwind, even with low sail HP. And NavyBrig has a lot more sail turning force downwind than Le Requin does.

So, he didn't choose to fight the cannon duel, he had to fight the cannon duel because I spent the entire fight trying to deny him a means to board me.

• Like 2

Grape vs Le requin before and after crew hotfix (9. August) Sorry for the late video

Because of the half moon shape of the xebec I advise to use unlocked sector to get highest crew dmg or shoot the guns one by one and aim every gun proper, otherwise the half moon shape will eat 3/4 of the locked sector fired broadside. (Dont try to stern rake).  All decks have crew as long the grape hits the deck it will do dmg.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Ouwe Knar said:

I think it is rather good that 5 ships win from 1 big 1st rate ship.

Nothing wrong with small and fast*

The first rate cant even win due to slow turn-rate.

My 2 pennies*

meanwhile the ship is a plague and when this is the way to bring player back to the game, then this game has failed!

when the developers need money then they can contact me and I will buy this company for sure.

23 hours ago, Ouwe Knar said:

I think it is rather good that 5 ships win from 1 big 1st rate ship.

Nothing wrong with small and fast*

The first rate cant even win due to slow turn-rate.

My 2 pennies*

so true the first rate can use some turning rate buff 

does not need much 

just a little bit more 

no one ever uses turning speed on big ships they use other features like marines or dispersion or other stuff ,carta and hull protection, no one uses turning on it because the basic (turn) value for those ships is to low

(the upgrades do almost nothing on those ships)[ 2.0 +  5% = 2.1 turning after . the upgrade it is still sjit ]

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

Yes, more turn-rate for Ocean,

and nerf the dlc and get rid of the Requin... and and and....

just get the oceans and forget about the new players and let this game be all for a few veterans

who wine all day and dont want to see theire pressuses paint damaged.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

what can a niagara do against a ram upwind requin? you underestimate the raw trolling potential that 250 crew has in shallow water battles.

Tack before the Requin gets too close for comfort. Which even a Live Oak/White Oak Niagara can easily do without falling below the speed threshold for boarding.

2 hours ago, rediii said:

some day ppl will realise the strength of the niagara in shallows

this is not this day

Someday ppl will realize the strength of the Dutchman in shallows

and also this is not this game  day .

• Like 1