Game-Labs Forum

Le Requin Testing and Feedback

La Requien is the first ship where I do not use Auto at all. Everything manual and feels absolutely credible control of the rigging - with the success of the maneouvres and failures as well. The fine tuning of the trims is just a great feeling.

I noticed the knowledge XP gain to be dramatically fast and i'm sure this is on purpose for testing ;) 

Given the sailing tests posted by jodgi and Z4ys, very little to add at this point, except that she is unique. Looking at the plans the hull and keel symmetry from fore to aft makes sense in her attitude being blown back at speed.

Her tiller is massive and clearly shows in game with her turning radius when rigging is rotated accordingly.

The crew stations seem good, especially on the rigging, there's no crew aloft on the xebecs as there's no need. I am wondering how the full/half/slow/battle will be done. Weren't the entire yards descended as opposed to furling sails up into the yards ? It could be a great novelty and maybe balance her, in a credible way, meaning that the changes from full to battle could take longer.

I like her due to being a leap forward in the game in herself - dispensing with the auto skipper ( as best option much of the way ) to being a ship which is much better when fully and manually trimmed all the time and almost dispensing with the auto except when straight run.

• Like 3

This ship is really a little gem! It is graphically beautiful, has unique navigation mechanics, is simply funny!
Pro
Navigate well to any wind, suffer a little downwind, but certainly you can not have everything! Maybe it's all too well if you have to correct something. When it will be shallow it will be a good ship (one of the best). Speed control through the yards is exceptional!
Great crew, I suggest to invent a special perk only for this ship (like the pirate frigate) to counterbalance the "determined defender" perk.
Discrete firepower if equipped with carronate, excellent as anti Prince de Neuchatelle even with 9 pders long.
Exceptional speed. Even exaggerated in negative speed.
Good turn, especially against the wind.
Cons
Little hull
Little cargo holding

33 minutes ago, MassimoSud said:

This ship is really a little gem! It is graphically beautiful, has unique navigation mechanics, is simply funny!
Pro
Navigate well to any wind, suffer a little downwind, but certainly you can not have everything! Maybe it's all too well if you have to correct something. When it will be shallow it will be a good ship (one of the best). Speed control through the yards is exceptional!
Great crew, I suggest to invent a special perk only for this ship (like the pirate frigate) to counterbalance the "determined defender" perk.
Discrete firepower if equipped with carronate, excellent as anti Prince de Neuchatelle even with 9 pders long.
Exceptional speed. Even exaggerated in negative speed.
Good turn, especially against the wind.
Cons
Little hull
Little cargo holding

you forgot she gains speed wery quickly also

• Like 1

1. The incredibly high acceleration and deceleration makes La Requin extremely difficult to control. You can instantaneously stop dead in front of other ships and make them trip over you.

2. There is too much 'sensitivity' when it comes to yard angles. The difference between sailing forward at 4 knots and sailing backwards at 3 knots is about 2 degrees of yard angle. Actually stopping is very difficult because of this.

See, I'm sailing along at over 3 kts with my sails almost completely depowered.

3. Her speed of 10 knots at 20 degrees from the wind is way too much. We don't need a way to troll trader lynx captains by using magic lateen sails.

4. Sailing in reverse so fast would not be possible because the foot of the sail would collapse and create a much less efficient shape. Sure is fun, though.

5. La Requin would be much easier to control if she didn't always turn downwind when using manual yards. Maybe reduce the rotational power of the foresail?

6. I often find that the xebec turns in the opposite direction I expected, when using manual yards.

Examples (xebec should probably be turning right, not left):

Main and mizzen are trimmed more efficiently that the fore

Ditto, more pronounced example

Main/mizzen totally depowered, foresail 'by the lee' (but should still be pushing the bow to starboard IMO)

Foresail totally depowered, main/mizzen trimmed properly

jxEZBEQ.jpg

...but of course the xebec is amazing eyecandy, even if the game isn't really equipped to simulate how these big lateen sails work.

Can we get a mod for white sails?

• Like 6

On 6/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, Banished Privateer said:

Was cool testing the ship, but I died because of getting 2 fires in the row... 😤 2 rigging shocks, sails down to 40% and couldn't move...

It's historically correct. In the book 100 Days by Patrick OBrien it clearly shown what happens to Xebecs when frigate fires it's guns and does proper damage. Massive fire and ship is split in half. These ships are meant to be fragile, but maneuverable. 

Edited by Wind

3 minutes ago, Wind said:

It's historically correct. In the book 100 Days by Patrick OBrien it clearly shown what happens to Xebecs when frigate fires it's guns and does proper damage. Massive fire and ship is split in half. These ships are meant to be fragile, but maneuverable. 

Good.  They have to have weaknesses to balance their strengths.

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Having only 3 sails the crew should be faster rising them, that way we can control a bit better the ship.

The crew works the entire yard. Not sure about the time of having a dedicated rigging crew aloft and working up and down the yards as needed. Video shows nicely the small crew working 1 mast only.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

I just wonder how NA RNG and catching fire is realistic, because almost every fight I catch fire and I set 2-3 enemy ships on fire. It seems to be way too common. Ship is fragile and has low HP which is fine for me, but if common fire RnG is this ship killer, then I don't see a promising future for it, especially if it's supposed to be a premium ship. I can already imagine reviews:

"I just paid 10$ for premium Xebec, first 5 minutes into battle I caught fire, went into a rigging shock and got killed"

That is the job of mods/woods to provide protection and boots fire res. If it's vulnerable to fire , use such mods. That ship is already OP. Making Fire chance too low will leave room for more damage/reload etc.. mods that will make that ship too strong. Xebecs were weak in structure, planking, sails, but had good boarding and maneuver characteristics. 

Have you tried best fire res wood + mods? test it ... and then provide details, so we can see if fire nerf is necessary. Testing the worst fire res wood + no fire res mods and bitching about it does not look professional for a mature tester.

P.S. you wanted hardcore game , you got it...do you think 1 dura ships and premium content is coincidence? 

Edited by Wind

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Having only 3 sails the crew should be faster rising them, that way we can control a bit better the ship.

No, these would be among the slowest and most cumbersome sails in the game.

Really, the yard turning speed should be glacial, because of how much labor is required to handle the sheets.

You're thinking of a frigate splitting a galley in half by ramming it.

10 minutes ago, maturin said:

You're thinking of a frigate splitting a galley in half by ramming it.

Does that make my statement about how fragile they are a faulty one? Galley and xebec are close in design and most likely with the same hull elements. 

P.S. I can clearly recall detailed damage to such ships in 100 Days book. 

La+Reale.jpg

600_600______chebec-70cm-01_23.jpg

Edited by Wind

There's an enormous difference in the tonnage, displacement and structure of those two vessels.

A galley is usually just a glorified barge that draws very little water.

La Requin is a large oceangoing ship. She may be lighter built than a frigate with the same firepower, but put her next to a brig and take a look. Just because the sides aren't thickened to absorb damage doesn't mean that the ship isn't robustly built.

20 minutes ago, maturin said:

There's an enormous difference in the tonnage, displacement and structure of those two vessels.

A galley is usually just a glorified barge that draws very little water.

La Requin is a large oceangoing ship. She may be lighter built than a frigate with the same firepower, but put her next to a brig and take a look. Just because the sides aren't thickened to absorb damage doesn't mean that the ship isn't robustly built.

Xebec does carry more thinner ribs indeed, but light planking. 

Brig does carry less ribs more thicker, but much thicker planking as well. 

What does it leave us with? 

More thinner ribs + weak planking = more structure resistance?, but easier to penetrate and damage?.

Less ribs + thicker in size + thicker planking = harder to penetrate, harder to damage structure rib skeleton.

What do you think about this?

High Quantity/dense stack of ribs , easy to hit them (xebec) vs small chance to hit ribs due to small quantity and stack (brig).

In my opinion, dense stack of ribs will result in a catastrophic fracture inside ship when enough damage is applied. 

Edited by Wind

19 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Premium and hardcore has nothing in common.

Oh it does, think deeper. ex. There was one game (won't name it) where you would spend $ and your every move would be watched and reported. Now when time was right hardcore would come in play and take your purchase away and force you to spend more. 

EvE online proven such practice and still does, many other games run it. ;) Simply put, any premium content will be hunted down and taken in a quick and timely manner and with alt population thriving it will be very easy to do. 

Edited by Wind

This is about the Requin feedback.

ALL inconsistencies found shall be brought forth with support of media sent to devs or posted here.

That includes the best of all - video.

No trolling, stay in line. Grow a thicker skin. I don't take kindly to vile beggars by the way.

• Like 1

We have changed the speed of sail setting and furling for Gunboat and Le Requin. (these ships set sails much faster than other vessels to replicate ease of depowering and setting for lateen sails)
Would like to know if you like this change or it made it less interesting from the sailing perspective. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Would like to know if you like this change or it made it less interesting from the sailing perspective. 

Very much appreciated and more different flavour for a different sail type. Also nice for a pirate ship to have a small headstart. Keep up the good work, Sir.

17 minutes ago, admin said:

We have changed the speed of sail setting and furling for Gunboat and Le Requin. (these ships set sails much faster than other vessels to replicate ease of depowering and setting for lateen sails)

its around 3sec right (from 0 to 100%). Looks about right will help the auto skipper pilot. What about adding battlesails for the xebec just front and mizzen no sails on the main?

4 minutes ago, z4ys said:

its around 3sec right (from 0 to 100%). Looks about right will help the auto skipper pilot. What about adding battlesails for the xebec just front and mizzen no sails on the main?

would love to hear your opinions on this much faster setting time. (especially in terms of making this ship different, complex and interesting in sailing)

for the battle sails - lets say its impossible until someone provides specific references on the battle sails looks for Xebec, but even then it will only be done after localization (if this happens). We can add the battle sail but it will look strange having half speed at full sails because we need to telegraph sail set to the enemy and cant do it visually without adding new set of animations.

We could theoretically take down main mast sail and call it a Battle sail setting.

7 minutes ago, admin said:

would love to hear your opinions on this much faster setting time.. 

for the battle sails - lets say its impossible until someone provides specific references on the battle sails looks, but even then it will only be done after localization (if this happens). We can add the battle sail but it will look strange having half speed at full sails because we need to telegraph sail set to the enemy and cant do it visually without adding new set of animations.

Hope that picture makes it more clear. Front and mizzen are at full sails. But no sails set at the main mast.

Antonio_barcelo_1738.jpg

like the one in front.There was some talk about giving battle sails a + to maneuverability and on this ship its possible without buffing rudder. Just allow front and mizzen sails to be set at battle sails.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Hope that picture makes it more clear. Front and mizzen are at full sails. But no sails set at the main mast.

Antonio_barcelo_1738.jpg

like the one in front.There was some talk about giving battle sails a + to maneuverability and on this ship its possible without buffing rudder. Just allow front and mizzen sails to be set at battle sails.

if no central sail will work as battle sail setting it can be done in a reasonable time (like couple of days)

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, admin said:

would love to hear your opinions on this much faster setting time.. 

Regarding sail setting time. We had this talk about getting rigging shocked because xebec tends to catch fire fairly easy. Havent tested it yet (because i wasnt set on fire yet) but with the 3 seconds to reduce sail to 0% its a good counter to avoid rigging shock.

Regarding pvp combat i dont know if we will end like the time as we could almost instant set battlesails and avoid getting chained

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

Are you sure dropping sails protects you from a rigging shock? I've never tested it, just curious. My Xebec made out of teak caught 2 fires during one battle, good luck on your testing but I can't provide any more feedback on the ship as its lost :) Just wondering why so many paintings present sails on 2 sides (left and right) which would be logical to catch more wind and in-game we have all sails set on one side.

We are adding fire Extra Buckets back (old abandoned upgrade) that will fix the problem if captain does not want fire to spread.

• Like 2