Game-Labs Forum

Le Requin Testing and Feedback

14 minutes ago, Latron said:

I think 12pd guns would work well on it. It feels way too weak for a 5th rate

its a raiding ship that has superb speed therefore its armament look right. A fighting capability buff only in hand with drastic speed nerf.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wind said:

Mentality behind people who debate Xebec authenticity in Caribbean is out of this world. They wait for months for content and when content is added they revoke it. I think this forum is well ill. 

People wanted actual content xebec is a let down for me too there is quite a few ships that would be way better recived and actualy count as content.

1 minute ago, Lovec1990 said:

People wanted actual content xebec is a let down for me too there is quite a few ships that would be way better recived and actualy count as content.

because its not content for you doesnt mean its no content at all. When new SOLs will come out i will rage for no content for me. Deal? 😉

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 8

Just now, z4ys said:

because its not content for you doesnt mean its no content at all. When new SOLs come out i will rage for no content for me. Deal? 😉

deal, but still adding another 5th rate is kinda wrong we have more 5th rates than all SOLs we need more ships of the line

1 minute ago, Lovec1990 said:

deal, but still adding another 5th rate is kinda wrong we have more 5th rates than all SOLs we need more ships of the line

Its a ship WIP test for "premium ship dlc pack (3 ships)" they said premium ships will never be bigger than 4th rate (dont know if still valid). If it is valid dont expect 3rd and bigger for premium dlc test. But we will see some more sols "soon" i guess

• Like 1

8 hours ago, admin said:

Provide suggestions on what you would change to make this ship interesting 

Add oars :P Maybe not to this one, but to some other - it could be quite slow, but with option to go directly against the wind faster than other ships. Possibly something from a Turkish fleet :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

You also need to fix the BR limits for shallow PB's.  Raising the Hercules to 100 BR will still allow 25 of them to enter many of the shallow PB's.

See next comment.

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

shallow portbattles can only be entered by ship of BR 80 or below (currently)

Yep shallows are limited to 50-80 BR ships only, so making it 100 will mean you can't bring it into shallows.  Also making them 5th rates and above limits ships from shallow water ports.   

1 hour ago, Wind said:

Mentality behind people who debate Xebec authenticity in Caribbean is out of this world. They wait for months for content and when content is added they revoke it. I think this forum is well ill. 

I'm actually surprise we haven't seen @Hodo he's been waiting for this ship for every.  As for if they where used or not i think some one dug up data they where used in the area even though they might of been locally built.   

Well, it looks great! :D

D3496DD0C9A2A68952848C4A8278B4A7BC0A1E8C

(would look better with a pirate flag)

A7121669FE2FFE79AC73015212A9B0C6518F5719

The details really are quite nice. Excellent work, devs.   Now if only it had the Rouge Noir paint scheme and a pirate flag flying at the mizzen....

Performance:

I'm not much of a small ship fan, but since this one has 9pdrs, I'll make an exception ;)

I agree with what some others have said: make it a 6th rate and adjust BR accordingly. Moving on...

Its fast and doesn't seem to be overly tough, so thats good for balance. Firepower is decent enough I think. Turn rate is ok, but since manual sailing to turn better doesn't seem to be as effective as on a square rigged ship...maybe buff it a little? Perhaps test a bit more first. I know it definitely needs some other speed "settings" besides all stop or full canvas. I don't know if they reefed lateen sails during this time period...if they did, that'd be great. If not, then maybe have the "half, slow, battle, dead slow" settings adjust the sails to spill some wind out and make the ship slower. You can do it with manual skipper but that is a lot of button juggling to keep the speed and course the way you want it. 

I'd also suggest replacing those 4 2pd bow guns chasers with 2 or 4 4pd long guns. I didn't like those little swivels on the LGV Refit and I don't think I like them here either. Or at least let us shoot chain and grape through the swivels. 

Bonus: ramming speed with no bowsprit worries! :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, William Death said:

Turn rate is ok, but since manual sailing to turn better doesn't seem to be as effective as on a square rigged ship...maybe buff it a little?

No rudder used. (now imagine with rudder). But currently i only get her to turn downwind pretty well 0 to 180° (look at video) But I struggle to get her from 90° to 0°. Maybe just stupid and not figured out yet how or bugged.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hugh Latham said:

Xebecs are interesting and different ships, but I don't think there were any in the Caribbean. Crossing the Atlantic in a ship with so little freeboard would have been a harrowing experience, at best.

You don't have to import every single ship from the Old World. It's enough to bring a shipwright and his plans and he can build the Xebec right there in the Caribbean, just like in any other place.

• Like 1

Greetings Capts., Devs,

Nice ship, I look forward to redeeming it and trying it this weekend. I  did a small search online and found that they were also used as coastal traders and smugglers. Shallow draft, fast and able to be rowed in light to no wind. Though low on cargo capacity they would sometimes use less guns to gain a little more tonnage. Devs, when you revamp this ship and finalize it could you make a trader version and allow the hold size to be increased a bit depending on the amount of guns you carry? This ship would be a boon for traders and smugglers carrying high value cargo.

Fair sailing all.      

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

No rudder used. (now imagine with rudder). But currently i only get her to turn downwind pretty well 0 to 180° (look at video) But I struggle to get her from 90° to 0°. Maybe just stupid and not figured out yet how or bugged.

That would f***in noisy IRL. But looks awesome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hugh Latham said:

Los Xebecs son barcos interesantes y diferentes, pero no creo que haya ninguno en el Caribe. Cruzar el Atlántico en un barco con tan poco francobordo hubiera sido una experiencia desgarradora, en el mejor de los casos.

I have to tell you that Spain used them on several occasions both for trips where they brought troops and equipment and in combat actions.

My manual sailing is still not perfect so much room for improvement. In my opinion she likes to turn downwind but upwind between 90° to 0° she struggles.

Edited by z4ys

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Yea, looks like paddles, but I find it a weird placement for them. Are they used on a rowboat or Xebec itself?

Just read your sources you posted yesterday. In the backside of the ship are oar ports (your 4), if the occassion demanded they were used.

1. The mizzen sheet runs through a block at the end of that stick. If the line just went from the corner of the sail right to the poop deck, the sail would not have the right shape.

2. That's a grating for the poop deck. I'm not exactly sure why they built it with a grating. Maybe to save weight. Maybe so a wave striking the stern would splash through without ripping the whole thing off.

3. That's the head of the rudder, with the tiller attached. They need a hole there so the tiller can enter the vessel. 16th century ships all had their tillers set up this way, so the xebec is just oldschool here.

4. I guess you could shoot through there, but it also just looks nice.

5. Oars for the xebec.

6. Just a port. Probably for loading cargo or possibly for anchor cables.

• Like 5

http://mnm.webmuseo.com/ws/musee-national-marine/app/collection/record/8950

See "le Requin". Her model is exposed in le Musėe de la Marine in Paris. 

She was a shallow water ship, with 24 guns (8 livres françaises= 8.5 pd, almost 9pd), and 36 pierriers (small canons which can fire stone balls instead of iron balls, might be replaced by swivels?)

http://mnm.webmuseo.com/ws/musee-national-marine/app/collection/record/8951

Another interesting link for "le Singe" a smaller chebec with a mixed rigging, main and rear masts squared. Quite a famous ship in France, was commanded by Suffren, who made plans to use some of these ships in the Channel against British traders (20 x 6pd guns).

EDIT:

Love "Le Musée National de la Marine". Better visit that than the Eiffel Tower or Le Louvre!

Edited by Eleazar de Damas
  • Like 7

On 6/8/2018 at 1:19 PM, admin said:

one of the first premium ships

Do you have any ETA of the ship in shop? Already lost mine and can't wait so sail it again... Also will there be paintjobs for it in the future? Brest Harbour, Rogue Noir or Outlaw would be really nice.

Love this ship, can't wait to buy it, great and surprising addition, devs! 😄

20 hours ago, Eleazar de Damas said:

Another interesting link for "le Singe" a smaller chebec with a mixed rigging, main and rear masts squared.

Love the funny detail on this ship:

M5026-2005-AE-0167-2.thumb.jpg.00f533a404c52d6d4f2c22d656f51ae4.jpg

#moremonkeyfiguresonships