Game-Labs Forum

Le Requin Testing and Feedback

Xebec is the positive surprise of the day! I used this type back in the days of "Sea Dogs" as preferred ship.

Suppose the 'pirate rig refit' will affect this type of mediterranean sails?

Edit_

Alright I see the issue of latin sails being affected by jib sail upgrades has sufficiently been discussed already...

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

25 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

One thing I like about Le Requin is his red sails, just imagine if we can have red sails in other ships... $$$

And i say that's the ugly part about the ship :D to have it on all ships would be just awful.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

One thing I like about Le Requin is his red sails, just imagine if we can have red sails in other ships... $$$

Would pay for red sails on my Constitution. 

12 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

It can load neither grape nor chain shot as far as I know...

swivel guns have very high crew damage but yes.. grape should be added to them.

We will add shallow status to Xebec next week and adjust other advanced shallow vessels to be on par with hercules and le requin if their weights are comparable.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, admin said:

swivel guns have very high crew damage but yes.. grape should be added to them.

We will add shallow status to Xebec next week and adjust other advanced shallow vessels to be on par with hercules and le requin if their weights are comparable.

I am not sure if xebec should have inbuild "control" like all the other ships without chaser. I know that the xebec has bow guns and therefore "control" is disabled but as banished pointed out they do no dmg to sails. Instead of buffing swivels just give her control.

1 hour ago, Hugh Latham said:

Xebecs are interesting and different ships, but I don't think there were any in the Caribbean. Crossing the Atlantic in a ship with so little freeboard would have been a harrowing experience, at best.

That's why we'll be building our xebecs locally, although when it comes to Oceanic crossings, where there's a will, there's a way. The US Navy sailed a couple gunboats to Europe.

Xebecs were used in the Baltic and some California fishermen favored the lateen rig, so there's no reason they couldn't be used elsewhere. NA's Caribbean has long been a microcosm of Age of Sail warfare, rather than an exclusively New World setting.

• Like 3

My first sailing impression/feedback

1920px-DonAntonioBarcel%C3%B3ConSuJabequ

Regarding that picture i was curious how she would handle while sailing straight downwind. The next picture shows her speed while sailing in autoskipper straight downwind (speed 8.7kn)

20180608180153_1.thumb.jpg.6493ddd92eb330fe7f52a880f068ab53.jpg

I checked and yards are at max position. Testing now what will happen when i twist the yards to the other side resulted in a ship turning left and less speed.20180608180406_1.thumb.jpg.936eccecde026e96c0dca686fe005989.jpg

First conclusion is that yard position reduces speed when sail is pressed against the mast (more obvious reason sail force is broken). I like to add even autoskipper is confused with sailing straight downwind and switches yards from side to side.

Suggestions:

1. give independent mast control for all 3 masts
  2. add battlesail front and mizzen mast (at full sail) main (furled) for maximum maneuverability
  3. The main mast yard should be on the other side ( I dont think that sail press against the masts has any effect ingame but it would change the odd look when wind is coming from starboard.
  4. And pls add WIP in battle tab to show people - ship is not final - and to make them stop ranting
Edited by z4ys
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Add chain too, just for improving the gameplay. And Im a historical nerd but chasers without chains... almost useless.

No thanks. Caliber is too small for chain. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, admin said:

We need to buff advanced 6th rates, hercules MUST NOT be the only king of shallows

You also need to fix the BR limits for shallow PB's.  Raising the Hercules to 100 BR will still allow 25 of them to enter many of the shallow PB's.

• Like 1

Xebecs are interesting and different ships, but I don't think there were any in the Caribbean. Crossing the Atlantic in a ship with so little freeboard would have been a harrowing experience, at best.

Considering that these Xebecs are equipped with shipboard sensors that can identify the number of life forms on board an enemy vessel, along with detailed info on it's hull integrity and sailing performance, an INS heading indicator that incorporates wind info, and radar equipped with friend-or-foe info, I imagine they have cryogenic tanks for long voyages like that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juan Navarre said:

Considering that these Xebecs are equipped with shipboard sensors that can identify the number of life forms on board an enemy vessel, along with detailed info on it's hull integrity and sailing performance, an INS heading indicator that incorporates wind info, and radar equipped with friend-or-foe info, I imagine they have cryogenic tanks for long voyages like that.

You are on the wrong forum, please leave ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

You also need to fix the BR limits for shallow PB's.  Raising the Hercules to 100 BR will still allow 25 of them to enter many of the shallow PB's.

shallow portbattles can only be entered by ships of BR 80 or below (currently)

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

Respecting the effort and creative energy, not the outcome.

This was a ship mostly used in Mediterranian and Red Sea area...I don`t know why we have it in the Caribbean.

Apparently the Spanish San Sebastian crossed the Atlantic (with a square rig) to Cartagena in 1810 and then went to Lima through Cape Horn. The Americans also built 2 xebecs, Repulse and Champion in 1777 to defend Philadelphia. There are reports of Spanish xebecs in the Caribbean, and some have been built at Havana (Cayman, Nuestra Señora del Rosario).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Barberouge said:

Apparently the Spanish San Sebastian crossed the Atlantic (with a square rig) to Cartagena in 1810 and then went to Lima through Cape Horn. The Americans also built 2 xebecs, Repulse and Champion in 1777 to defend Philadelphia. There are reports of Spanish xebecs in the Caribbean, and some have been built at Havana (Cayman, Nuestra Señora del Rosario).

I am not sure if we need any exotic ship, which was accidentally built(like in Philly), or somehow found their way to the New World, because of reasons unknown to us(Spain), in the game..That is my point :)

We have St. Pavel in game too, but are there any reports of her in Caribbean?

Feel me? ;)

1 hour ago, Banished Privateer said:

@admin

image.png.e226356e02b2d13218c8679c92b07db5.png

The last part seems to be crucial. In NA most of the ships suffer without chasers. Essex is one of the biggest pains in that matter. Ships like Lynx/Privateer even have gunports for stern cannons and they are empty!

Luckily we have detailed information on La Requin specifically: a whole book dedicated to the vessel..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fenris said:

I am not sure if we need any exotic ship, which was accidentally built(like in Philly), or somehow found their way to the New World, because of reasons unknown to us(Spain), in the game..That is my point :)

We have St. Pavel in game too, but are there any reports of her in Caribbean?

Feel me? ;)

like most of the ships we have ingame they never saw the caribbean.

Edited by z4ys

2 hours ago, Hugh Latham said:

Although I tend to agree with you, the Viking Longships crossed the North Atlantic via Iceland to Greenland and then onto Newfoundland. They too had low free-board but were remarkably seaworthy as attested by the numerous sailing replicas. Perhaps the Zebec could similarly ride the seas due to its lightness of structure. The basic lines are not drastically dissimilar.

Mentality behind people who debate Xebec authenticity in Caribbean is out of this world. They wait for months for content and when content is added they revoke it. I think this forum is well ill. 

Edited by Wind
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Wind said:

Mentality behind people who debate Xebec authenticity in Caribbean is out of this world. They wait for months for content and when content is added they revoke it. I think this forum is well ill. 

Can't please everyone, I guess. I and the majority enjoy the new ship very much and appreciate its addition and new flavour to the game.

• Like 1