Game-Labs Forum
Mrgoldstein

[Caribbean] the state of pvp

2 minutes ago, Batman said:

There is so many pvp'ers here complaining about lack of pvp, you could easily fight each other all day long around La Tortue or Tumbado instead of waiting infront of a capital while you write posts on forum about lack or state of pvp.

Oh but that's "risky pvp" we can't be risking ships against other experienced players. That's just too hard. 😒

• Like 4

In general I think the mechanic in the game is fine, both for PvP and RvR. They should stop changing it.  

Yes csptains can loose a ship in the reinforcement zone. But they can easy replace it.either by cap one ore craft, think you can with ease make a ship s day.

RvR, yes you have to flip the port, But think it is fine you have to do a effort. Timers to costly, think it is fair that you have to choose and just not have hole Map.

we should get more reward to get players out. The reward is the Pb ore th battle. VM and PvP marks are a ressource, not the reward. Ore are ppl going to tell me thet play to get VM and PvP marks and not for the fight.

Edited by staun

PVP players attack each other in front of capitals plenty of the time. If I sailed up to a capital and I see a 15 vs 3 I am not going to join the 15 side to help them gank. 1, because you get less rewards, 2, joining the side that has a massive advantage sucks.

No one is forced to join the battles in the capital area everyone who is there (minus maybe someone who tags an ai in the green zone) is there because they wanted to join. If you don't want to PVP do NOT join a PVP battle.

End statement stop smashing your head into the wall then complaining it hurts while doing it harder.

Literally today #BlameBoom

3F8FE319F743F60E7F5B1D567053861DD08D2CCE

Edited by Aster
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Batman said:

There is so many pvp'ers here complaining about lack of pvp, you could easily fight each other all day long around La Tortue or Tumbado instead of waiting infront of a capital while you write posts on forum about lack or state of pvp.

Must club seals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Batman said:

They just want easy pvp marks with newbie players....... They don't want pvp.......  

Why are there still areas of help to newbies ??? .... Take them away that we want to eat more newbies ... There are still many ..... / ironic mode off

• Like 2

I cant understand all the fuss

NA is a game that rewards you as you are getting better and more experienced. It teaches you to take the initiative and engage actively, and not to kite

Spend more time "practising" and youll get better. Seems fine to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Oh but that's "risky pvp" we can't be risking ships against other experienced players. That's just too hard. 😒

Patrol zones were first used by a lot of Players, noobs and vets

Until the gank squads realised how easy it is to exploit the crappy RoE of 30 min open battles without restrictions. Set a bait battle and have the rest join in once the fish is trapped.

I am sure with a more balanced RoE these patrol zones would be used again and become popular. Personally Im not playing atm because first of dont have as much time to spend and secondly cant be arsed to get screwed over by players joining half an hour into a battle over and over again.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

Until the gank squads realised how easy it is to exploit the crappy RoE of 30 min open battles without restrictions. Set a bait battle and have the rest join in once the fish is trapped.

I am sure with a more balanced RoE these patrol zones would be used again and become popular. Personally Im not playing atm because first of dont have as much time to spend and secondly cant be arsed to get screwed over by players joining half an hour into a battle over and over again.

Completely agree.  I like the PVP zones, especially shallow water, but just don't have any interest in getting ganked every single time.  If you try to go 1 v 1, its a trap!

5 minutes ago, Liq said:

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

Completely agree.  I like the PVP zones, especially shallow water, but just don't have any interest in getting ganked every single time.  If you try to go 1 v 1, its a trap!

I agree as well, which is why I hope this next patch really changes it for the better...I'm not that optimistic, but I am hopeful.

actually, my most recent battles have been small battles, and they have been enjoyable, regardless of my "skill level" which I know I'm not a top tier player. They have also been battles that have not been near a capital, rather they have been around the la tortue/la navasse area.

I don't care about a win or a loss because at this point I just get happy to even have a battle in the US tz that doesn't include me versus 4+ people. I just find it laughable when I hear folks complain they aren't getting pvp, decide to sit in front of a capital and wait for newbs and players who aren't as skilled so they can get their daily flow of pvp mark feed. Then when it's brought up that there are 2-3 other groups out there they could fight to get the challenge they are looking for, it's scoffed at. Reality is, they don't want the challenge, they just want the easy win they know they can get.

folks like @Hethwill and his merry band, @Liq and his solo belle poule, they are the players who fight the challenge and deserve the respect they are given when it comes to skill. I don't go to safe zones anymore because frankly, I'm not looking for the easy win, I'm looking for those who are a challenge to beat, those who can beat me in a smaller ship and then give feedback or advice on how to improve. Yes, I still go out and find a trader to raid, but if I won't go around bragging about it.

Sorry Teutonic. We simply gank left and right and center and drive newcomers into a death spiral, like a kraken unleashed. So I dismiss myself and the rover lads from any association of cool ;) 

/oh irony

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

Sorry Teutonic. We simply gank left and right and center. That's the street word. So I dismiss myself and the rover lads from any association of cool ;) 

I didn't realize "squading" up in 6th rates was ganking when we have 4th and 3rd rate gank squads on the daily.

alright fine, Hethwill and his merry band are the worst scum in the game. fixed enough for you? ❤️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Sorry Teutonic. We simply gank left and right and center. That's the street word. So I dismiss myself and the rover lads from any association of cool ;) 

ganking is meta

20180603230832_1.thumb.jpg.29f08fd9d21139bed63118e32ad552d1.jpg20180603233423_1.thumb.jpg.fbf877ca1156d9c5025b6cd7b602511b.jpg

The battles above nobody of us will talk about. They just give us marks for game progress. Only battles below are kind of what we keep in mind but regarding progress they are worth nothing.  You either can have fun or progress but both is currently not possible and thats the flaw.

20180601012546_1.thumb.jpg.9c794cd19efa65f46a764c8871a433f2.jpg

• Like 2

US dropped a port instead of fighting a defensive port battle. What a joke. Especially when they criticize Rax for not fighting fair fights all day in global chat. Defensive port battle is 100% fair fight. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

US dropped a port instead of fighting a defensive port battle. What a joke. Especially when they criticize Rax for not fighting fair fights all day in global chat. Defensive port battle is 100% fair fight. 

It was not up to those players criticizing Rax about a "fair fight." Why should we waste our time?

Edited by Davos Seaworth
  • Like 1

So you catch up to a 15kn bellona on a smaller ship, because that's the only way you're going to get close to it, and do what exactly ;)

I think they need to look at the elite spanish rig combo again - 30% is too much and turns that bellona into a godly ship that has the firepower and the speed to control the fight. Most of BLANC/WO don't come equipped that way to a fight but I can see that if you have a couple of such ships to fight, your chances are slim no matter how many people you bring.

Your best chance is to try and spawn on top of them and demast them quickly. 5th rates go the shaft again here, they would be good chase ships but that speed requires some pretty crazy upgrades or a spanish rig, and that means no french rig ie. demast bait. Sad state of affairs IMO.

Edited by Le Raf Boom
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Bach said:

It's probably time you guys think about breaking up the band and spreading some of that skill around. In NA player skill > gear. Player skill + gear > than pugs in numbers. 

I was training a whole nation of inexperienced players for I think 5 months. It's a tedious job. You finally get a few people to a good enough skill, and then they leave. You tend to have a few guys who ALWAYS sail fir/fir ship with floating battery, or take a live oak endymion to chase a Bellona with Spanish sails. You always have a few people who will never angle and a few who will never close in on enemy. It's rewarding once you achieve something, however it's a hard work. It's simply not fun, and not many people will want to do this.

I think it's much more natural for inexperienced players to join a skilled clan, rather than for a small group of people to train a whole nation of an inexperienced players. If someone wants to join our clan, you're welcome.

The issue is that most people don't want skill. They just want some easy wins. They prefer to gank instead becoming good enough to sometimes win when ganked.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Anyone who's been in a running fight knows the only thing you can do is chain and ram upwind. One of those is likely to be suicide, the other isn't possible anymore.
Yet people still think 10 repairs a battle is normal and balanced. sigh

22 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Small groups win because they use the guise of being outnumbered to run away defensively, which initiates a chase where only few ships can actually keep up in a straight line. To get parallel with a ship running required you to not turn and you take loads of damage this way. Damage that you are not going to pay back in full the same way a group can focus fire you quickly to get you to back up (which amounts to many minutes having to catch back up)

The reason why this happens is not because coms or even that much skill. It's just padding ships with as many repairs as possible and not engaging the chasers, but let them engage you and return fire with your smaller group while the bigger group still struggles to keep up (now with limited chain this is easier than ever)

The main reason people loose those fights is because whenever they're in a shot range, they turn to shoot an angled ship and loose the wind, staying away from a fight. Instead it would be enough to get closer to enemy group, chain one ship (best by being up-wind and behind), wait for rest of your fleet to get closer and start brawling. This can't be countered well.

Then there's also angling yourself, focusing only the right target and only the right side ( which sometimes is a left side btw. ), protecting each other and minding the wind. That's it.

You don't need magical upgrades, repairs and other cheats (you know, eg. those we regularly use in Prussia).

There's nothing magical regarding repairs. In most battles in the zone I don't use more than 2-3 repairs per battle (both for sails and hull). We also don't run away and chase - it's useful only when you are outnumbered more than 3 to 1.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Batman said:

PLEASE! Tell me how to find them!

Since I'm on a PvP leaderboard almost every day I play, it seems I'm one of the lucky 5-15 people who know best how to find fights - yet it's still super boring for me, and often you sail for 5 hours without any encounter. I fight everyone I find (unless they have more than 4 vs 1 advantage, or unless they're @Palatinose :P)

This game needs patrol zone fix badly - only then PvP'ers can fight other PvP'ers easily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Le Raf Boom said:

So you catch up to a 15kn bellona on a smaller ship, because that's the only way you're going to get close to it, and do what exactly ;)

I think they need to look at the elite spanish rig combo again - 30% is too much and turns that bellona into a godly ship that has the firepower and the speed to control the fight. Most of BLANC/WO don't come equipped that way to a fight but I can see that if you have a couple of such ships to fight, your chances are slim no matter how many people you bring.

Your best chance is to try and spawn on top of them and demast them quickly. 5th rates go the shaft again here, they would be good chase ships but that speed requires some pretty crazy upgrades or a spanish rig, and that means no french rig ie. demast bait. Sad state of affairs IMO.

Bellona was never 15 knots, it's just your imagination and ah the hypocrisy of you using the 15.5 knots Privateer's Ingermanland from XXXXX Inger to chase me. I would fight the battle 1v2 or 1v3 but I was low on hull repairs and didn't plan on dying 1v6 to a gank fleet. 

To make it even more of a dick move, you joined my battle on MY side against US, left after 2 minutes as you spotted what's inside and waited 20-30 mins with ambush/revenge fleet outside.

No offence Boom, but you use the same kind of ships as Hermiones and Ingers with Spanish Rigs or Elite... It's to prevent being ganked and heavily outnumbered like here:

image.thumb.png.80a83b8f99ca5578e830e576cf3ae423.png

If you want a nice PvP or a cool duel, 2v2 or 3v3, contact me and we can organize it :) If you plan on ganking me, prepare 2-3h of spare time at least, maybe more.

Edited by Banished Privateer

5 minutes ago, Bach said:

I guess I have to be the one to tell you. But if you place yourself off the coast of their capital and 20+ ships jump into the battle then your NOT actually being ganked. The fact you got out of that mess after being beached is a tribute to how powerful those speed meta Bellonas are in the hands of a skilled player. My arguement still stands as proven by you. Take ALOHA on a tour of nations like Rover does and spread that skill around.

I was leading a clan of 100+ members, teaching all of them in GB nation, clan is called AHOY. Now I'm retired, but I still do train players that ask me for it occasionally. As example with accepted into ALOHA about 10 players from ARMED clan and we train them all the time. At this point we will only accept and recruit exceptional players with ability to learn, listen, improve and survive. I'm too "old" and too tired to be a nation or rookie teacher. If I get paid for it, I will do it. 

The fact you got out of that mess after being beached is a tribute to how powerful those speed meta Bellonas are

Keep in mind I spent 20+ minutes on the beach. Do you want to credit the well outfitted Bellona or maybe blame the 10+ US players sailing circles around me like sharks? I see 0 of your points proven.

Edited by Banished Privateer

41 minutes ago, vazco said:

The main reason people loose those fights is because whenever they're in a shot range, they turn to shoot an angled ship and loose the wind, staying away from a fight. Instead it would be enough to get closer to enemy group, chain one ship (best by being up-wind and behind), wait for rest of your fleet to get closer and start brawling. This can't be countered well.

I agree with what you say here, but the biggest issue in trying to chain while being upwind and behind is that the stern chasers on the vessel being chased are usually more accurate and in most cases heavier poundage, so you lose sails quicker than he does. Most times all you can hope for is to turn and give him a broadside of chain and hope you damage his sails enough so the pack can catch up.

5 hours ago, Batman said:

In my perfect NA I would start with some friends from Tortue heading to KPR but would never reach it because there are enough players and therefore battles on the way - which is the final and ultimate destination. But hey the Brit Vets have to "defend" their coast in 5/1 battles instead of going out and searching as the "gankers" do. I would even say this extensively spreaded attitude is also a reason for declining numbers. "Brit Vets" because you are the most numberous. The most hilarious thing is joining the battle after lets say twenty minutes and staying in for an hour without shooting a broadside because the enemy is so far away. Is this pvp? Why don't you just grab a boat, go out and do something? Make reinforcement zones NO PVP zones to force those that want to do pvp out of them. If I see people joining battles for a 2vs25 all I know is: they want pvp -  obviously desperately!

• Like 1