Game-Labs Forum
asuspiciousbear

Repairs are far too powerfull

The biggest issue in combat is how much and how quickly we are able to rebuild our ships and sprout new masts(often more than once) half way through a battle. I think its especially demoralizing for new players who see all the damage they do undone. Combat is basically seeing who will run out of repairs first. Instead of removing repairs, change the damage to a tier system, I.E. once your hull or sail goes below 75% you cant repair above that, then again for 50% getting a smaller max as you go lower to represent the struggle of an increasingly damaged ship: 40%- 20%- 15% It would maintain the essence of reality while keeping it fun to play. It would also give battle sails their purpose back. On another note, when you go into rigging shock the sails should go wild instead of staying in whatever position they are in at the time as uncontrolled sails like to do as they please.

• Like 1

If you fight at distance yes, close range you can't outrepair damage dealt.

Not saying i'm a huge fan of repairs though.:P

Edited by Liang Dao Ming
  • Like 1

Rather than see it as "I spent time demasting, now it is gone" look at it another way. You now have a challenge to sink him in 10 minutes since he cant repair hull. I dont mind it, it can force you to change how you fight some battles.

Normal repairs only repair 25% what leads to issues is repair mod stacking.

Every time I see such a complaint, I know it's because the OP does not play aggressive enough. 

You don't win a battle by staying kilometers away from your enemy. 

Especially with the long repair times we have currently you can easily deal more damage than your enemy can repair. 

• Like 2

The reference was made to new players being frustrated with seeing the damage they did - undone. However, it works the other way too. New players are often grateful for repairs (the way they are) as it helps them survive.

Realism vs gameplay.  The ability to repair (hull structure re-forms, masts re-grow, crew come back to life) is completely unrealistic.  However, we want a certain level of gameplay (in general) and for that we wish to extend battles.  I personally would prefer little or no repairs of any kind during battle and only repair after battle is resolved.  It seems from previous threads that that is not wanted by other contributors to this forum. I'd love for the Devs to give us a period of no battle repairs....to test it... 

• Like 4

That's kind of what we had way back, when you could run one sail repair and one hull repair. In battle you kept an eye out for when someone had done it, then you knew they couldn't do it again. How it is now makes for longer battles, but I'm not sure if it makes it any better. It means you have to keep switching between hull and sails, going to whatever they haven't just repaired/are repairing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, woodenfish said:

That's kind of what we had way back, when you could run one sail repair and one hull repair. In battle you kept an eye out for when someone had done it, then you knew they couldn't do it again. How it is now makes for longer battles, but I'm not sure if it makes it any better. It means you have to keep switching between hull and sails, going to whatever they haven't just repaired/are repairing.

Except that going for sails is problematic with limited chain and unlimited sail repair

So many repairs per battle turns some engagements more time consuming than needed.

It also makes the current meta of fast ships that hit, kite and repair a thing to think about. Personally it brings boring battles due to all those minutes wasted waiting until the other has ended his repairs. And this can be done up to 6-7 times in one battle.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Except that going for sails is problematic with limited chain and unlimited sail repair

This is of course true. Back then you chained, waited for the repair and then chained to death... That was maybe too much one way and now it's maybe too much the other way... Maybe you should make the penalty for carry repairs higher in terms of weight and thus speed? That way people would carry less. Now it's simple to carry enough repairs without too much penalty.

2 hours ago, Nelsons Barrel said:

Every time I see such a complaint, I know it's because the OP does not play aggressive enough. 

You don't win a battle by staying kilometers away from your enemy. 

Especially with the long repair times we have currently you can easily deal more damage than your enemy can repair. 

It is unfortunate you lose your mind off so easily, I am very aggressive, but all anyone has to do right now is sail away on any point. Sure you can catch them but unless your ship is 3 knots faster, you wont be able to catch up in time to stop them from rebuilding their ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woodenfish said:

Maybe you should make the penalty for carry repairs higher in terms of weight and thus speed? That way people would carry less. Now it's simple to carry enough repairs without too much penalty.

My thought is repairs werent too heavy back in the day, they had miles of extra cords and rigging, and they were able to refit at sea. they just couldnt do so much in the middle of a battle which is why tiered damage might be the best system.

Edited by asuspiciousbear

As repairs look like features that will be kept in final NA, although unrealistic but relevant for gameplay, it could be modified as follow:

- Repairs should be easily found in any ports, regular auto-production. This will provide with courses much less tricky. (fed up with outrageous offers when available)

- Repairs should have heavier weight as penalty offset. (you wanna be faster ? take more risk)

- Repairing should request the majority of the crew and would therefore oblige captains to disengage or fight with very low reload/rigging reactivity. 

- Rum should offer a maximum of 40% crew ship revival (full crew is just a bad jock).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Rum should offer a maximum of 40% crew ship revival (full crew is just a bad jock).

why would you have that for crew and not hull or rigging? full hull and sail regain is just as bad and weighting repairs doesnt make logical sense compared to limiting max repair percent, shouldnt be able to throw up mast after mast in battle.

Edited by asuspiciousbear

we need a port battle for one hour max  and 1 repair (one for sail and one for hull) with a cooldown of 10 minutes 

if this is not the case we continue to keep trouble

also when the port battle is indecisive the next day we have the same battle again

better for everybody 

more speed and time for everyone to do battle....

more captains doing battle ....

and a lot of shit chat unnecessary....

you can have more speed by not having a overload of repairs  what is also historical  

Edited by Thonys

Easy solution is make it you can only repair while in Battle Sails.  That way no more running away at full repairs to just come back into the fight.  You actually have to slow down to activate the repiars.  Same thing with DD, just make it active while you have board prep up so it's not 100% active at all times.  You do those two changes and I bet you see a lot more short engagements and a lot less compaints.

The other thing is we had some one down to 50% sails and they where still going 10 knts with the, I"m sorry you loose 50% sails and even if your a 15 knt ship you should be going way slower than that.  Shouldn't be able to go over half what your top speed is if your that down on sails.  OH and he wasn't a 15 knt ship like maybe 12 knts at most full sails.  It seems that loosing sails really doesn't drasticly slow ships down as much as it should.

• Like 1

Game play apart, ships would extend, gain distance, make essential repairs ( and refill powder charges ) before re-engaging again :) 

Honestly, regarding game play, Structure should never be repaired. Only the planking and the rigs. 2 cents.

• Like 1

I am curious if anyone including devs disagrees with a tiered repair system, even just to test for a bit. I've heard what peoples own opinions are on how repairs should work but no explenation on why the tiered wouldnt work. 

I'm pretty sure it was put on the list to limit repairs in battle in some way. In fact I'm pretty sure it was suppose to happen shortly after the limit of chain. Am I wrong here?